60gb vs 40gb

Gunner

Apprentice
Nov 19, 2007
hello , i am buying a ps3 for a friend . apart from an extra 20gb memory is there any other difference . Does the 40gb version have inbuilt wiffi ? my friend wont be playing ps-2 games so i dont care about backward compatability .

i was told by someone ( not a reliable source ) that the 40gb version is generally more unreliable and prone to hardware failures compared to the 60gb , is there any truth in this ?

Miney

Forum Elder
Oct 31, 2007
The 40GB unit is said to run cooler and use a little bit less electricity but you will not notice either without doing extensive comparisons. Disregarding the smaller harddrive, there are a couple less USB ports (which can be fixed with a USB HUB). There are some actual hardware differences involved inside the box but only because it's a smaller unit. There have been numerous threads regarding this type of thing, perhaps you should check them out.

A

Astros92186

There haven't been any widespread issues with the 40 gb version. There were some rumors going around when it first came out in the UK, but as far as I know those were all just problems some people were having related to a recent firmware update, nothing major. The only big difference between 40 gb and 60 gb if you don't care about backwards compatibility is the 40 has only 2 usb ports compared to the 60's 4 ports.

Alpha2

Elite Guru
Mar 3, 2007
the 40gb:
1. has no backwards compatability with PS2 games (due to removal of the PS2 graphics chips)
2. has no card reader slots
3. has 2 fewer USB ports.
4. Still has built in wifi
5. Still has backwards compatibility with PS1 games
6. Has no major hardware issues, since it's essentially the same hardware.
7. Runs slightly cooler.

Dec 10, 2007
www.myspace.com
[QUOTE="Alpha2, post: 0]the 40gb:
1. has no backwards compatability with PS2 games (due to removal of the PS2 graphics chips)
3. has 2 fewer USB ports.[/quote]

dangit, beat me to it lol

i say get the 60gb, especially if he has a heap of ps2 games

Jun 3, 2007
Dear the starter of this thread.

My name is Sam. Hey, how are you bro? Let's be friends. You seem like a cool guy. I live in Colorado bro. oh yea hey can you buy me a ps3 too?

Gunner

Apprentice
Nov 19, 2007
thanks for the replies , very helpfull . i think i will get the 40gb and throw in a extra game and controller instead of the 60gb .

~NeonFire~

Super Elite
Aug 31, 2007
I would get the 60GB anyway. Even if doesn't need backwards compatibility at the moment, there's a huge PS2 library that he could take advantage of in the future.

Both models have relatively low failure rates.

Dec 16, 2007
If there's not a big price difference the 60GB is worth it for the extra usb slots and backwards compatibility. Just figure out the price difference and whether those features are worth it to you.

A

Anti Fanboyism

[QUOTE="Alpha2, post: 0]the 40gb:
3. has 2 fewer USB ports.
4. Still has built in wifi
5. Still has backwards compatibility with PS1 games
6. Has no major hardware issues, since it's essentially the same hardware.
7. Runs slightly cooler.[/quote]

8. No SACD support :D

Id take the 40 over the 60 simply because its cooler.

PsychoBadBoy

Dedicated Member
Oct 8, 2007
the 60gb:
1. Can't be found anywhere anymore

You can always buy it from someone who already has one at a ridiculously inflated price...like from me. lol

I know you said you're already getting the 40gb version anyways, but as you can see, it's not like you had much choice anyways.