A good MP3 Player

zeon9881

Forum Elder
Jul 7, 2007
So I was going to get a Ipod Nano after Eid but I was just wondering is their a better MP3 player in the market right now.

I heard the Zune HD is coming out but im not so sure about it.

zeon9881

Forum Elder
Jul 7, 2007
[QUOTE="mickice, post: 0]Get a SONY walkman, don't get fooled by flashy advertising. they come in a range of sizes and prices and the key feature, you know, how well it plays music, is one of the best period.[/quote]

Well which walkman?

Im not really sure what I should be looking for.

[velocity]

Master Poster
Dec 1, 2006
I'd get an iPod. If you want a small 16GB, get an iPod Nano. Or, if you really want to build a library of music, get an iPod Classic 120gb. It isn't even that expensive when you think about what you get for it. I have a 80gb Classic, it "roxx my soxx".

P.S, did I really end this post to such a dumb sentence?

Aldebaran

Could it be...I am sleeping?
Mar 24, 2009
NYC
Why would you think of buying any MP3 player besides iPod? the iPod has Interior/Exterior Design, Easy Interface, Easy navigation, and has the best files organization.

I don't support the iPod Classic/Touch as an music player, simply because of their size, a music player should ALWAYS be as small as possible.

I have an iPod Shuffle they're incredibly small, and thinking of getting a Nano, for the extra storage.
See what fits your style and pick it up. ;)

My thoughts ends here. =)

zeon9881

Forum Elder
Jul 7, 2007
I live in canada.

The thing is that everyone buys a ipod without thinking twice so I just wanted to know if their are any other sharks in the sea along with it.

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
[QUOTE="Eltimas, post: 0]Why would you think of buying any MP3 player besides iPod? the iPod has Interior/Exterior Design, Easy Interface, Easy navigation, and has the best files organization.

I don't support the iPod Classic/Touch as an music player, simply because of their size, a music player should ALWAYS be as small as possible.

I have an iPod Shuffle they're incredibly small, and thinking of getting a Nano, for the extra storage.
See what fits your style and pick it up. ;)

My thoughts ends here. =)[/quote]

Are you serious? ipod users get more enjoyment out of playing with the touch screen/click wheel and now CAMERAS! Than actually listening to music.

I am 100% against ipods :bang:

[QUOTE="zeon9881, post: 0]I live in canada.

The thing is that everyone buys a ipod without thinking twice so I just wanted to know if their are any other sharks in the sea along with it.[/quote]

Trust me man, go down to your local hi-fi electornics store and check out the Walkman range and don't let the sales clerk palm you off onto an ipod for features that arnt music related.

You'll hear things in your music you've never noticed before.

zeon9881

Forum Elder
Jul 7, 2007
So which Walkman should I specifically look for? Also should I get knew earphones because all of my freinds tend to have different earphones than the ones the product originally gave them.

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
[QUOTE="zeon9881, post: 0]So which Walkman should I specifically look for? Also should I get knew earphones because all of my freinds tend to have different earphones than the ones the product originally gave them.[/quote]

Well now, depends on how much your able to spend, walkmans are up a bit when it comes to price, but these things are like musical bricks.

Perhaps a cheap 8GB model? Some come with bluetooth support too but I find that to be a bit of rubbish if you ask me.

What site would you normally look for electronics on? search walkman 8gb

DeputyDon

Elite Guru
Jun 7, 2005
www.youtube.com
[QUOTE="zeon9881, post: 0]I live in canada.

The thing is that everyone buys a ipod without thinking twice so I just wanted to know if their are any other sharks in the sea along with it.[/quote]

I congratulate you for actually thinking about your purchase.

The Zune is a great choice, and the Zune HD looks to be even better than the previous versions.

Sony Walkman's are also great MP3 players.

I'd also recommend looking into Creative's MP3 players. Their Creative Zen Vision: M is generally all around better than the Ipod, and supports more music/file types.

The Creative Zen X-Fi 2 also looks like it turned out to be a pretty good player as well. It's a touchscreen also, for more information as well as a video showing the general interface:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12519_7-10325737-49.html (you might want to mute the video, eh for the music on both videos...)

It's only $180 for a 16gb but it also has a slot for an SD card incase you want to add more storage space to it in the future. Also, yes, you can change the mainly orange background if you don't like it. Every creative player I've ever used comes with preset themes/color schemes. And of course you can change your background and whatnot.

ash91

Super Elite
Jul 11, 2008
UK
[QUOTE="mickice, post: 0]Get a SONY walkman, don't get fooled by flashy advertising. they come in a range of sizes and prices and the key feature, you know, how well it plays music, is one of the best period.[/quote]

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a Walkman. They are fantastic!

ex nihilo7

Master Poster
Nov 13, 2006
The walkman x series are oled touch screen if you are considering a walkman over a zune HD, which is also oled touch screen.

zeon9881

Forum Elder
Jul 7, 2007
Ok I took a look at the zen Xfi2 and it looks pretty good but can someone show me a walkman that is good or how about the one i posted in my previous post?

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
The Zune HD is great specially if you watch videos often. On the plus side I also like the UI they are using, simple and practical. At least this is how it looks, since I never used one. I can't comment on the audio quality but it will definitely wont be the worst.

If you are focused on Sound quality, the new Sony Walkman X with the awesome OLED screen is a good bet, since Sony is known for the quality of the sound chip used in their audio players, plus battery life that puts competition to shame.

An other great runner up is the not-so-well-known Cowon S9 with their massive codec support that beats the competition, plus an AMOLED screen that also looks fantastic.

Last is the iTouch, which while doesn't have the greatest screen or audio quality it does offer a massive 64GB version which is simply the biggest in this league. On the plus side you have the App Store, and a faster, snappier device that it's predecessors which is more than happy for light gaming.

You gotta love competition. It all boils down to what you need.

iBean

Superior Member
Apr 14, 2009
Just get an iPod, they are so simple. my old nano survived through so much! Or if you get a iPod Touch, you get the App Store, which is seriously becoming a big thing now!

Feb 29, 2008
I hate to see all the negative things being said about Apple iPods.. What exactly is the problem with them? (Nevermind..I know they'll be a bunch of things stated that really do not prove to be something that would steer me away from it.

I'm sitting here looking at my iPod touch, and when i hit play, it plays music, when I want to browse the internet, it is always connected to my dsl, I can visit youtube and play videos...check my at&t email, among other things. I was looking for a multi-tasking type deal when I purchased my mp3 player. I wanted more than an MP3 player...

Just because the Ipod does more than just play music, or doesn't fit your requirements, thats not reason to post negative comments or insinuate that it doesn't do what it is meant to do. It works perfectly fine for what I want it to do, and anyone who wants to argue that, I'm looking at it right now, tell me what it doesn't do that it's advertised to do, and I'll upload video of HOW-TO..
If Ipod isn't up your alley, then great..dont make comments that the thing doesn't perform like it should just because it isn't something you'd personally purchase for yourself. There are millions of folks who, like me, are very happy with their ipod, and we all know that it does what its designed to do. If it didn't play mp3 format files, or had errors with certain types of music, I could understand complaints. But people who don't even own one making false claims is just absurd, and anyone who BELIEVES that people who've never touched one can honestly give you an opinion on the thing....geez.

Its like people who talk about towns they've never visited before in their lives, and just heard things about, or people who think MacBooks are overpriced junk because Microsoft didn't design them...if you've never owned it, touched it, or even SEEN it, don't give someone else negative (or positive for that matter) advice about it..because you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Its just spreading lies/rumors and talking out your *** because you've never had dealings with that particular item.

M

Masticophis

I have a 2nd gen nano, 3rd gen nano, and now a 16GB Zune HD.
If you want a plain 'ol MP3 player, I'd simply go with a Creative or Cowon. I had a Creative Zen Micro 8GB for a while before getting my other players.

Feb 13, 2008
I stand behind all the people who said a walkman.

You won't be dissapointed with an model really, I have owned a Sony walkman for over 3 years now, still has the same battery life it did as it was new, charges in less than 15mins (And im serious, a full charge) and lasts me easily 30 hours+...

The music quality is amazing, both my sisters are iPod fanatics, one has a first gen nano, a new 8gb nano now a iTouch, and the other has a 30Gb iPod video.

I can't say they are bad, however I don't like iPods (but i like mac, so no biased here) because i find them way to popular, I hate the headphones (I know you can buy new ones..etc), nearly everyone has an iPod and I always want to stand out with the next best thing which is there. Sony Walkman's are much better IMO (as other have said) because of their sound quality, durability and in some cersions the design.

SonyJunkie

Gaming Guru
May 14, 2006
I would say a Walkman cause like others have said the sound quality is great. The Zune HD would be my next choice cause of the nice looking UI and good looking design but not sure about the sound quality.

zeon9881

Forum Elder
Jul 7, 2007
So Im gonna get the Sony Walkman S544 or S545 but I need headphones so can someone recommend me some?

I looked into skullcandy full metal jacket but need more products to go through.

The Sennheiser CX300 also look good

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
[QUOTE="zeon9881, post: 0]So Im gonna get the Sony Walkman S544 or S545 but I need headphones so can someone recommend me some?

I looked into skullcandy full metal jacket but need more products to go through.

The Sennheiser CX300 also look good[/quote]

People only buy SkullCandy headphones for it's 'cool' name.

A

Anbu_Evolution

I recommend looking into the Creative Zen X-Fi MP3 players. I honestly don't know why the iPod has still so much a buzz when there are so many other MP3 players on the market that can do the same things and much more.

Here is what my X-Fi can do:
Music
Pictures
Movies
Outlook Calendar sync
Alarm clock
Mic recorder
FM tuner
Wireless capabilities to instantly download podcasts
Chatting
Built-in speakers

Kopkiwi

Power Member
May 11, 2007
I would seriously consider the Creative Zen X-Fi 2 mate.

Supports just about every audio and video codec there is. There is a goal on Ebay selling the 32GB for $265 free delivery. Creative are known for having top audio quality.

A

Andrea5

Hi, I only registered here to say thank you guys for a great piece of advice. I was looking for a player when I came across this forum and as a result I ordered Zen X-Fi 2. (directly from creative website - I could not find that person selling them cheap on ebay). The player arrived on Monday and it is a magnificent piece of technology. I was never fond of touch screens on portable devices but it is so responsive and pleasure to use that now I see the point. I got a 16GB version for 149 (I wish I bought the 32GB but I was sort of careful with a new brand) and it came bundled with very nice earphones that look like this:

Thanks a lot for your advice!