A Kojima - del Toro collaboration isn't dead in the water yet

Shockwave

PSU Editor
Nov 11, 2007
Ireland
http://www.psu.com/news/27611/A-Kojima---del-Toro-collaboration-isnt-dead-in-the-water-yet

Wile the abrupt cancellation of Silent Hills is still a sore topic for most gaming fans, it's today been revealed that director Guillermo del Toro still believes that he will collaborate with Hideo Kojima in some capacity in the future.

Speaking with gaming website IGN on the much-publicized cancellation of the Silent Hill reboot - a decision that was met with a justifiable backlash by fans against publisher Konami - del Toro referenced the iconic Psycho Mantis scene within the original Metal Gear Solid as the blueprint for delivering a more psychological experience to the end user.

"We were talking about really pushing the boundaries of the new consoles, and making the game really mess with your head. One of the great moments in Metal Gear [Solid] was Psycho Mantis. The idea that a game can actually interact with you, and stuff like that."

And touching on his friendship with the Metal Gear Solid head honcho, del Toro told IGN:

''I love working with Kojima-san. We are still in touch. We are still friends and working into doing something together, but that’s not going to be [Silent Hills]."

Silent Hills' lives on (marginally) in the interactive teaser P.T. which Konami saw fit to take off the PlayStation Store entirely, rendering people who had it downloaded on their PS4s as the only source for playing it.

With Kojima's contractual obligation with Konami ending once Metal Gear Sold V: The Phantom Pain releases on September 1, it's anyone's guess as to what's next for gaming world's most-talked-about auteur. Let's hope it's something horror-based with del Toro after all.
Oh yes please.

Bigdoggy

Master Guru
Jan 24, 2008
it will be a couple of years before we even get to play that game that they want to create together, whichever type of game that is. If Sony was smart, they would back Kojima for future releases.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="Bigdoggy, post: 6463099]it will be a couple of years before we even get to play that game that they want to create together, whichever type of game that is. If Sony was smart, they would back Kojima for future releases.[/QUOTE]

If Sony were smart they would hire Kojima to make games for them, even help create his own studio I think!

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
So long as the principles of design that made P.T so terrifying are in place, sound, atmosphere etc, I don't care what form their collaboration comes in. I.wonder if NR is in on the talks.

Sent from my GT-I9000

Shockwave

PSU Editor
Nov 11, 2007
Ireland
I'm sure Kojima will have no shortage of suitors throwing studios, complete creative control, and massive budgets at him. Can't wait to see what's next for him.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
A movie would be interesting but I want an interactive experience. I think P.T is the scariest piece of entertainment across any medium.

Sent from my GT-I9000