A living city? Liberty

inToxic

Apprentice
Feb 17, 2008
Ok, I might be going crazy, or I might be seeing whats there, and I don't know if Rockstar mentioned that the city would do this, if they did it's fairly boring info but if not, very interesting.

I was just killing pidgeons, to Gamesradars guide, when I went to Dukes station. It was closed and having construction work done on it. In the Games Radar picture their dukes station was absolutely normal.

Then I noticed it again near the go-kart track of the theme park. This road had been pulled up and had construction workers banging away at the road. This road was in perfect untouched order when I was last here. I've yet to go back there since to check on the progress. But if I'm right it will eventually be fixed.

If this is the case this would have to be one of the most subtle yet awesome features of Rockstars Living breathing city...

-Deadpool-

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 7, 2007
Wow if that's true.

I mean I was impressed standing in the street one day at sunset, watching the silhouette/shadows of the buildings slowly move across the ground in front of me. I thought THAT was incredible.

This would be intense detail 8)

psycho_rez

Dedicated Member
Mar 9, 2007
I think this is true, and it is awesome.

GTA IV is not like the rest, where you feel the entire city is scripted after two hours of free roaming.....That is almost gone entirely in GTA IV, The city is alive, Rockstar did a fantastic job.

Speaking of the city being alive....., Have you guys seen whats inside the statue of happiness yet?.

Phantasmn

Push my Phantastic button
Jun 29, 2006
If all of that happens regularly, then wow. This is one great game. You know that a game is good when you find new things each time you play it (MGS 2 comes to mind even though it's not the best in the series).

I wonder if that means that the main construction sites will be finished as well. Like the overpass/connecting ramp in Bohan (or maybe it's in Broker), and the Construction Site that you do a mission for Playboy X at in Algonquin. Hopefully that street in downtown Algonquin near Middle Park will open up soon, because going around it isn't the greatest :lol: At least these little things make the game that much more realistic.

[QUOTE="psycho_rez, post: 0]I think this is true, and it is awesome.

GTA IV is not like the rest, where you feel the entire city is scripted after two hours of free roaming.....That is almost gone entirely in GTA IV, The city is alive, Rockstar did a fantastic job.

Speaking of the city being alive....., Have you guys seen whats inside the statue of happiness yet?.[/quote]

I've heard about what's in there, but I just unlocked Algonquin today. I still have quite a few missions to do before I can go there :(.

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
I haven't experienced anything that hardcore yet but I'll be driving by one place one day and it's perfectly fine and then the next day I drive by that same spot and there's part of the road blocked off by cones. I haven't really looked closely to see if they're working on it or anything.

Jaeger

Master Sage
Mar 2, 2008
Yep, I've seen a fair few things happen which only show Liberty City as a living, breathing city. For example, I've seen construction workers like you mentioned, but I've also seen cleaners, preachers, tramps with boards, etc. They're all very small things, but the small things matter the most.

Roman007

Dedicated Member
Sep 19, 2007
at night you see the trash men come and it has the 2 guys hangn on the back, and I only really see them at night. I think they have people sweeping the streets and sidewalks at night too.

one thing I like is if you jack someone or shoot at someone, you may take fire from civilians. Everyones packing heat and you don't know if you should shoot them or run.