A possibility for the trophy system

ps3isthebestobe

Superior Member
Jan 23, 2008
I was reading an Xbox 360 mag the other day (it was my friends honest) and in it there was an article discussing sony's up and coming plans regarding home. And it suggested something which i thought would truely be amazing, and in their own words would 'put the achievements of the xbox 360 to shame"

I am not sure if this has been discussed here before but i havn't seen anything. But what they suggested was, that the trophy system could be used as a sort of currency for use with Playstation Home, which would allow you to buy all the things they have on offer, just not in cold hard cash, but with something i call game-time money.

This would not only make the trophy system seem a lot less of a rip off, but an originial innovation of sony, and secondly would make the whole thing seem a lot less redundant, which at first i felt it was considering all i was getting was some digital representation of a trophy that didn't really mean much.

I seriously think this is the way to go, especially if sony wants to see playstation home thrive....anyone heard of this

rbrtchng

Forum Guru
Aug 25, 2006
Yeah, a lot of people thought about this already. I had hoped that some games would like instead of just giving you trophies, they'd let you trade in trophy points (like you suggested) to some cool customizable stuff like wallpaper for my home room, new shirt, music, or even free demos/beta codes, etc.

I doubt many devs would like it if trophy points let people buy stuff that they can sell for profit. But for simple things like a virtual tshirt, it's good advertising and it's pretty cool incentive.

Kopkiwi

Power Member
May 11, 2007
Yeah this feature has been discussed to death. Personally I think it would be an AWESOME idea. It would get people into trophies and probably give people more of a reason to get into HOME as well. Knowing they can put their hard game to good use.

T

TwentyThree

we can dream..
hope devs pick up on these ideas.. im pretty sure only exclusive devs would support if any would.

chop_suey

Apprentice
Mar 26, 2008
It is something that I've heard they would like to implement, and also I would like them to bring out the trophy rooms on home, as I liked the idea of seeing my trophies in 3d. Don't know when they will do it though.

Pezzer

Dedicated Member
Jan 29, 2007
I would be cool if there were certain shops that would allow you to use trophies to get certain items.

Kinda like "hey you got plat for uncharted, this entitles you to this T-shirt or piece of furniture " etc etc .

Obviously they would never replace actually money as Home still needs away of making money back. but would be cool if you got something extra for getting certain trophies.

well that's my take on it anyway's

:D

Muntu

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2008
Anyways, higher trophy level = more free stuff, I mean like when you reach level 10 you can choose if you want a t-shirt from a collection of few or a couch or or a new table. Or something similiar to that. Of course, you can't get that stuff with money, so only players with trophy level of 100 gets a shirt saying "I'M F*CKIN AWESOME!".

Cuguy

Elite Sage
Mar 9, 2007
www.psu.com
While I agree that it is a good idea, it has also been talked to death in the past.

MS has also hinted at possibly making Gamerscore have some sort of currency value for XBL arcade games and the such, but nothing has ever come from it. Some games can be exploited, like Avatar, to get 1000 gamerscore in under 30 seconds.

On PS, game saves with full loads of trophies can be copied can they not? So anyone with any sort of internet prowess could copy a bunch of full saves and instantly amass a good deal of trophy points.

Obviously Sony and MS would prefer it to be only worth what the player earned and not by cheating or copying game saves. So until they figure out a system to try and minimize exploits, I doubt highly we will ever see earned currency in Home or LIVE.

To the OP: You could change the thread title to something a little less likely to draw in 360 trolls. Call it something like "Something that possibly could give Home a boost" or "Possible trophy system would add real value to trophies in Home." Your title right now is SURE to draw in a crowd of people who just want to see why Home could be better than LIVE and the same tired argument about why is Live a pay service would ensue, etc...

Fedos

Master Guru
Feb 21, 2005
[QUOTE="Cuguy, post: 0]While I agree that it is a good idea, it has also been talked to death in the past.

MS has also hinted at possibly making Gamerscore have some sort of currency value for XBL arcade games and the such, but nothing has ever come from it. Some games can be exploited, like Avatar, to get 1000 gamerscore in under 30 seconds.

On PS, game saves with full loads of trophies can be copied can they not? So anyone with any sort of internet prowess could copy a bunch of full saves and instantly amass a good deal of trophy points.

Obviously Sony and MS would prefer it to be only worth what the player earned and not by cheating or copying game saves. So until they figure out a system to try and minimize exploits, I doubt highly we will ever see earned currency in Home or LIVE.

To the OP: You could change the thread title to something a little less likely to draw in 360 trolls. Call it something like "Something that possibly could give Home a boost" or "Possible trophy system would add real value to trophies in Home." Your title right now is SURE to draw in a crowd of people who just want to see why Home could be better than LIVE and the same tired argument about why is Live a pay service would ensue, etc...[/quote]

You're an SMC. You can change the topic.

dualBang

Awesomesauce!
Nov 13, 2008
They should make it so when you get a platinum trophy, you get like some sort of super cool thing to do with that game and for all the other trophies, you can buy stuff (Only from the game you earned them from)

TOM2x

Dedicated Member
Apr 27, 2007
I think that would be really cool, but wouldn't this be a great idea too?, If you had enough trophies from playing various games and you pooled some of the value together, you would get a REAL exclusive T-shirt or something YOU could actually wear! You know, they would just let you pop in your email and address and UPS it to you or something.

Cuguy

Elite Sage
Mar 9, 2007
www.psu.com
[QUOTE="Fedos, post: 0]You're an SMC. You can change the topic.[/quote]

Sometimes I do, but other times (like this) it is just a helpful reminder to the OP. The title does not break rules or anything, so rather than seem like an iron fist that changes titles to suit my taste, I leave it to the OP.

Mar 11, 2006
Sony has already said there will be some way of displaying your trophies in your apartment. I don't know what is taking them so long with that, it seems like just adding a trophy shelf furniture and having your trophies pop up on it. And it has been confirmed a few weeks ago that it will be possible to get some types of credits from trophies.

They are experimenting with real money treasure hunting in Home, at least the Hong Kong Home right now. Even if it was only credits to be used in Home spaces, this would be really cool. There are a lot of possibilities there.
Sony gives away money in PlayStation Home ... in Hong Kong
Jan 13th 2009

This is a promo we'd love to see in our region. Sony Computer Entertainment Asia is giving away HK$10 (about $1.30) in PlayStation Network credit to those that are able to find a "mysterious avatar" in Sony's virtual world. Clues can be found on posters in the service.

The money certainly isn't enough to buy anything significant, but it is enough to buy a trinket from the PlayStation Home's in-world store. Participate in a game and win free virtual pants? We like the sound of that. Hopefully, SCEA or SCEE will do something similar in the future.
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2009/01/13/sony-gives-away-money-in-playstation-home-in-hong-kong/

Aug 23, 2008
Its not about in-game money for home. Its the fact that you can't really do anything in home. I mean if they added more things to do. For example, form a party and watch a movie or some video that one person has on their ps3.

Essenshizer

Dedicated Member
Sep 26, 2007
[QUOTE="Cuguy, post: 0]While I agree that it is a good idea, it has also been talked to death in the past.

To the OP: You could change the thread title to something a little less likely to draw in 360 trolls. Call it something like "Something that possibly could give Home a boost" or "Possible trophy system would add real value to trophies in Home." Your title right now is SURE to draw in a crowd of people who just want to see why Home could be better than LIVE and the same tired argument about why is Live a pay service would ensue, etc...[/quote]

Negative. If this was possible, don't you think 99% of people would wait for some bloke to do the Resistance 2 10,000 kills online trophy then just copy his save? This is not possible with PS3 trophies; you must earn them yourself.

Cuguy

Elite Sage
Mar 9, 2007
www.psu.com
[QUOTE="Essenshizer, post: 0]Negative. If this was possible, don't you think 99% of people would wait for some bloke to do the Resistance 2 10,000 kills online trophy then just copy his save? This is not possible with PS3 trophies; you must earn them yourself.[/quote]

I am naive on the trophy system for sure, but I thought that if you made a game save (as a backup) your trophies would be stored in the back up.

Cool, good to know that is not possible. Would hate to see prices inflated because everyone had access to game saves.

neic

Apprentice
Dec 28, 2006
wow i definitely hope this happens,because i also feel the same way as you, its just a digital trphy system that means nothing right now...only problem is that it will take for ever before this happens...IF it happens.

Mar 11, 2006
[QUOTE="Cuguy, post: 0]I am naive on the trophy system for sure, but I thought that if you made a game save (as a backup) your trophies would be stored in the back up.[/quote]

It sounds like you don't have a PS3 at all. Anybody with a PS3 knows trophies are not saved or stored on the PS3 at all, and are registered to your user account on PSN servers. That is why they have to be synchronized.

Jan 21, 2006
This sounds nice but i would rather have the developers reward you with game-related home items. Getting the PLAY trophy in LBP could reward you with a new wallpaper with an ace theme, getting a PLATINUM could give you a cool sackboy statue etc or getting the Motorstorm platinum could reward you with a motorbike that you can hang on your wall.

Zoibie

Supreme Veteran
Jun 18, 2006

...no. If you use someone elses game save, the trophies won't unlock.

IMO, this would be perfect for Sony. Not only would it make multiplat PS3 games more popular, but also Home.

Then again, there's not much point in having unlocked clothes and stuff if there's nothing to do in Home.

Alpha2

Elite Guru
Mar 3, 2007
[QUOTE="X-Men_Wolverine, post: 3761898]The fact that Microsoft is suggesting it already puts it off the map.[/quote]

It's not them, This was originally suggested by Sony and repeated by a X branded website or magazine.

Cuguy

Elite Sage
Mar 9, 2007
www.psu.com
[QUOTE="Bligmerk, post: 0]It sounds like you don't have a PS3 at all. Anybody with a PS3 knows trophies are not saved or stored on the PS3 at all, and are registered to your user account on PSN servers. That is why they have to be synchronized.[/quote]

I have a Ps3, 60GB launch system.

What I don't have are any trophies. I have not been able to afford any games since trophies were implemented. I have twin boys (8 months old) so I don't gave much gaming time anyway.

HWMbrogden

That Band Is Awful
Aug 22, 2007
NJ - 732
www.last.fm
Instead of trophies being used as currency in home, I think it would be a lot better if the more trophies you had enabled you to take part in more betas or have certain privileges in the psn store than others. Just something that adds substance to getting trophies besides the small graphic that shows up in your psn card.