About to hit Level 20 in Destiny. Tell me it really does get better. Need help.

Jun 25, 2013
Jumped back into Destiny last week, and I'm on the cusp of Level 20 which I hear is when all the cool stuff starts dropping. Oddly enough, I enjoy this game despite it being such a grind and I just purchased the first expansion and will probably pick up HoW this week as well. One thing that sucks, is that I'm not picking up any good loot at level 19 and it's getting harder and harder to keep going back, especially when my Warlock looks so crappy with that crap armor.

I've heard that doing weekly heroics and the strike playlist is where to go to get the good stuff, but where the hell do I find weekly heroics and the strike playlist lol? This is my first MMO if that's what this game is called, and the progression system/loot hoops you have to seemingly jump through has me all sorts of confused. Any help from our resident Destiny gurus is really appreciated. This game has actually torn me away from The Witcher 3 on PC believe it or not, so I'm hooked. Now I just need to know what the hell I'm doing.:p

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="N0REGARD4LIFE, post: 6446732]Jumped back into Destiny last week, and I'm on the cusp of Level 20 which I hear is when all the cool stuff starts dropping. Oddly enough, I enjoy this game despite it being such a grind and I just purchased the first expansion and will probably pick up HoW this week as well. One thing that sucks, is that I'm not picking up any good loot at level 19 and it's getting harder and harder to keep going back, especially when my Warlock looks so crappy with that crap armor.

I've heard that doing weekly heroics and the strike playlist is where to go to get the good stuff, but where the hell do I find weekly heroics and the strike playlist lol? This is my first MMO if that's what this game is called, and the progression system/loot hoops you have to seemingly jump through has me all sorts of confused. Any help from our resident Destiny gurus is really appreciated. This game has actually torn me away from The Witcher 3 on PC believe it or not, so I'm hooked. Now I just need to know what the hell I'm doing.:p[/QUOTE]

If your level 19 the strike playlists should have already opened up for you, they are found just between the moon and the tower on the map when you are in orbit, the weekly strikes now start at level 26 so your best bet is to grab a piece of exotic amour from Xur if you have enough strange coins as that pretty much jumps your straight up to level 24 once you have reached level 20. I would advise buying House of Wolves as the new content alone is worth the price tag, feel free to add me on PSN and our crew would be more than happy to help you out and show you the way :icon_thumright:

Also check into the Destiny OT, few of us peeps in there and some experts that can pretty much answer any questions or help you with the game!

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
Keep running strikes is the best advice I can give. Now that HoW has dropped you can actually get to about level 26/27 with blue gear if you're lucky and get stuff with 26 light - I'm sure that's what I saw.

But yeah, keep running the strike play list. At the very least it will prepare you for the Nightfall/Weeklies when you can access them. If you play a lot of PvP that's a good way of earning decent gear relatively quickly. Also, if you do that, it might be worth joining a faction (Future War Cult, Dead Orbit, New Monarchy) as all the exp you get through the strikes and PVP go to the same thing so you can buy legendary armour/weapons from a vendor and once you get to tank 3 with them you get a 'care package' every level which could contain weapons/armour or shaders.

Also, something you might want to keep an eye on when you're getting your weapons and armour is that not all legendary gear is the same. There are some perks more favourable than others on weapons and armour. An example, I love my scout rifles and hand cannons to have outlaw and firefly so I'll look for guns with those and also third eye. Others like field scout and perfect balance. Find what is right for you :) With armour be aware that you'll find armour can have 1 or 2 of the three bonus points - Strength, Discipline and Intellect. I favour a high intellect/Discipline build but you might not. Intellect lets your super charge faster, Discipline reduces grenade cool down and Strength reduces your punch cool down. Again, build it around what works for you.

I can't stress it enough but if you only get a little bit of time per day then if you must do only one thing then make sure you are doing your bounties. Not only do they give you experience (and reputation) but they are incredibly quick to do once you know how to do them. Eventually you'll find your favourite spawn spots for the various alien races and you'll find an efficient way of tackling bounties.
The more you do the higher chance you get of 'earning' a Exotic Bounty. These are multi-step bounties where you complete a series of tasks and you are ultimately rewarded with an exotic gun at the end. Some are easier than others and if timed right you can complete in a day some are a bit more tricky and take a while or are just a flat out pain. I actually found Thorn one of the easier ones and pocket infinity took me weeks!

You might start to have noticed an accumulation of glimmer boosts in your consumables? use them. Destiny has a very low level glimmer cap of 25,000 which you can fill up quickly but empty even quicker especially when you're frequently upgrading. Ether Seeds are for Fallen, Supply Codes for the Cabal, Black Wax for the Hive and I've forgot the name but a Blue Sphere for Vex. Always have these active! You can also get consumables which you give to the Cryptarch for exchange of 200 glimmer. I find these are good to store in your vault as a way for you to hold more money than the glimmer cap.

Once you get to level 26 you then enter what I think the meat of the game is. Raids! Get in a team of 6 and tackle some of Destiny's hardest foes. Currently we have 2 raids. Vault of Glass for levels 26 and hard for 30 and Crota's End for level 30 and hard as 32. Think of these as large strikes which can give you good loot and even the chance to get legendary weapons, Raid armour (legendary armour but with perks often suited to the raid) or exotic weapons. Raids are the only place that you can get elemental damage primary weapons which are invaluable for the nightfalls and weeklies.

The good and bad thing about raids is that there is no match-making. at all. unless you have 5 friends who want to do it with you, you are SOoL. That is until you use websites such as DestinyLFG.net (my personal favourite) or The100.io - both websites have the sole purpose of finding guardians who also want to team up and do the same objective. So while it is annoying that you can't simply just jump in a game at least you know you're going to be playing with people who actually want to do it rather than get some AFKers. I've made some good raiding friends through LFGs (Looking For Groups).

I'll be happy to have you send me request when you're ready to raid. It's very satisfying hearing people get things for the first time!

That's about all the destiny knowledge I have for you, don't take any of it for gospel as there are many out there and on here who know far more than I. Most importantly, just enjoy it and don't get caught up in the grind because that's one way to ruin the game!

Good luck, Guardian!

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
BBK pretty much nailed it. :D My main advice is find friends to play with, make 3 characters so you can run content x3 and do the weekly strikes for strange coins and wait for Xur on friday.

Sent from my GT-I9000

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
Oh yes I forgot to menton two important days, Xursday - previously known as Friday and Resetday - previously known as Tuesday. You want to get everything done before Tuesday and then on the Tuesday reset always do your Nightfalls first as they give you a nice little buff for the weekend :)