Master Poster
Nov 13, 2006
[video=youtube;34x6m-ahGIo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34x6m-ahGIo[/video]

Is there anything the man couldn't do? :snicker

btbam

Super Elite
Jan 28, 2011
The Moor
The book is actually really well written. I prob won't see it in theaters but i'd rent it sometime. This will probably ruin it for everybody too, but i'm compelled to say, AL actually had a high pitch twangy voice. This can be verified with several accounts of almost any speech he gave. Everybody always portrays him as this baritoned gruff, but he sounded nothing like that.

Sep 7, 2007
[QUOTE="btbam, post: 5772507]The book is actually really well written. I prob won't see it in theaters but i'd rent it sometime. This will probably ruin it for everybody too, but i'm compelled to say, AL actually had a high pitch twangy voice. This can be verified with several accounts of almost any speech he gave. Everybody always portrays him as this baritoned gruff, but he sounded nothing like that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've been meaning to read this after I heard they were making the movie. I kid you not when the book first came out I saw a review saying something like, "unfortunately, it's not that bad." LOL

Just started the hunger games trilogy but will have to add this to list of future reads.

sent via Tapatalk

Jan 29, 2007
[QUOTE="iToke, post: 5773074] Just started the hunger games trilogy but will have to add this to list of future reads.[/QUOTE]Been reading those myself, I think I might start a thread on that soon with the movie hitting a little over a month from now.

I finished The Hunger Games. Almost halfway through Catching Fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 7, 2007
Yeah I finished the first one the other day and it was pretty good. I had been hearing about them for a while and figured this would be a good time to see what is what. I was about to read Ender's Game for like the 8th time. LOL

While I liked the first one, I have higher hopes for the second. The first was almost entirely too predictable. Definitely worth the read though.

sent via Tapatalk

Jan 29, 2007
[QUOTE="iToke, post: 5773096]While I liked the first one, I have higher hopes for the second. The first was almost entirely too predictable. Definitely worth the read though.[/QUOTE]The first has predictable moments but for me they were satisfying to read through. However I was surprised by a couple things...

The dogs being the final event in the game and the ruling change bringing it back to one survivor.
although the second part may just be because I was hoping for them.

It's odd because my friend said he hasn't read Catching Fire cause he heard it gets weird and melodrama ensues. Albeit it parallels Twilight in the sense of a love triangle, it goes about that in a very different way.

Anyway, I do agree it's good and I hope THG does well enough for a sequel.

P.S. Ixion is prolly gonna kick me out for being totally off topic :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 7, 2007
I see your spoiler and raise;

Duuuuuude, when they first made the announcement, which wasn't surprising at all, you just knew they were going to turn around and say otherwise. I thought this was all too painfully honest, and Rue dying ... *finger gun shooter hand gesture thing* ... called it. (edited) I don't mean her dying wasn't expected, but I mean the timing of the death ... the speed at which is happened. Such a strong and genuine relationship that is formed right off the bat and you just knew it was coming in a matter of pages. The whole thing with Gale, I dunno, at first I was expecting him to volunteer, but it became clear that it would be part of the conflicting emotion between Katniss and him, that it would be this strange mental battle and you knew that Peeta was in love from the get go. That it was this whole thing that was supposed to just be a play ...

Shit. I really hope I don't just absolutely hate the second book ....

As for the wolves / previous 'contestants,' I didn't really feel one way or another about it, but it was such a brief and kind of lame addition that I didn't really think much about initially because it all happened so fast. Oh, there's Rue, oh there's the girl from District 1 ... blah blah. Before you knew it the ish was over and you weren't left with much about it, I mean, I know they talk of the mutations before but there wasn't much to it besides her recognizing them, and then they just disappear after the final cannon. I dunno ... I mean, sort of seemed like some cheesy 2 page-filler, which isn't much filler, but when you look for filler and you find something that smells of filler ... hey, filler. I dunno, but like I said I couldn't really hate on it because they / she didn't really expand upon something that already seemed like some last minute shit. Blah, whatever. lol

I will add this, concerning books and filler; when you find it, and it's painfully obvious and incredibly lengthy, nothing bothers me more. Nothing makes me want to close a book and put it at the bottom of the pile more than filler. Not even a book submitted by an aspiring artist on Amazon that is riddled with spelling errors enrages me more. I will be honest; I did feel it was a pretty engrossing read from start to finish, not riddled with pages of bullshit that you feel could have been trimmed down, but a legitimate page turner.

-edit-

I know I went off on a little tangent there, about filler and what not, and I'm aware that there is a difference between necessary filler (character dev., expanding upon some past-what-the-heck-ever backstory and the like, and I know that bit with the mutations wasn't necessarily filler ... but it came out of nowhere and didn't really seem to offer much. Maybe they expand upon that in the next book ... apart from, it just seemed kind of out of place and not really genuine, or not really fitting in with the strides being made. I dunno.

I dunno, I feel like the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was the best of the 3, the following books just feeling way too jazzy and almost-Bourne-like. By that, I dunno, I just think things got a little too out of hand. The first book really sets the stage, maybe it's that introduction to the characters and you really feel it ... but things seemed way too unbelievable as things went on. Not necessarily a bad thing, but the first was so legit and the following two just seemed like spin offs written by someone else. I dunno, maybe - if what you say holds water - The Hunger Games will be my favorite of the bunch. I really hope they don't take a dive though.

I'm still not sure if I'll see the movie. I almost never see film adaptions because they just ruin everything you worked so hard to picture, envision . They almost always ruin it. I refuse to see the new version of the The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo; I saw the Swedish one and thought it was fine.

P.S. I think you're safe; he was supposed to be hunting down Chase Budinger clips. :snicker

-edit-

Uggh, I've tried to trim it but I fear I only added to it. Drunken mess of a post this is. >_>

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2007
I agree that filler is terrible. I wouldn't say that The Hunger Games ever had filler. Again, even things I saw coming wasn't bad. How Suzanne wrote still felt good.

Peeta confessing his love. The line revealing the girl he's talking about was good. He didn't just blatantly say her name.

Rue being trapped and killed although you knew something was gonna happen, it setup a moment that was emotional and started a mentality that Katniss still comes back to in the second book. And a story element for the second book.

The dogs were an off and bizarre twist but I grew to respect why she wrote that. It showed how twisted the The Capitol can be and it was a way to throw the contestants off guard while ensnaring them into a very intimate situation, while they're trying to kill each other and stay alive. Tense shit. Perhaps the idea of wolves wasn't the best, it was still a good plot element.

The second book has some nice subtleties. President Snow becomes a fun villain and the love triangle works because it's driven by the story. Not the character can't decide. It brings in the other districts more and you get more backstory as well. And more characters. I haven't read the whole thing yet, so I haven't gotten to the best part of the book, the climax but so far I can tell it's a steady build toward something monstrous. The reason it's called Catching Fire (from what I can tell) is that it's from the problem (flame) THG starts and consumes Panem.

Sep 7, 2007
Yeah I see what you mean. I tried to edit my post but it is clearly a mess LOL. As for my filler comment, yeah, that would have been the only bit I thought was such and it was so brief that it didn't really alter the flow at all. I did love the idea of it, pacing was great, and the positives entirely outweighed the negatives. I'll trust your view on the second book, and now that I think about it I haven't really heard much talk about any potential drop off between the two (avoiding spoiler talk, obviously) so I will keep an open mind. I sort of feel like I'm always looking for the negatives ... looking for something to convince me that everyone is wrong in their recommendations and hype.

I do look forward to the second piece and will try to keep a positive mind while reading. As as for the creations and their (the top) doing ... I guess I see what you mean. I suppose I wanted that last part to actually mean something in terms of those being them. If that even makes sense. But I guess that is a constant struggle, trying to figure out what all the little things mean. It started as such a large swing that resulted in nothing that it was almost out of place. I dunno, I'd give it a 4 out of 5 stars ... 8 out of 10. Was definitely a satisfying read. Few novels really offer that compelling read, so I suppose I ramblings and petty complaints are really without merit.

sent via Tapatalk

Jan 29, 2007
No worries, we've all been there.

Try out Catching Fire, see what you think. Hope you like it. I think I am ;)

The books aren't like super-amazing, but they're a good, fun read. Keep in mind they do aim for a younger audience, so I'm surprised how dark they get at times.

When you get around to reading the second one, let me know what you think. Always a fun discussion.