Accident in supermarket car park

Shaunyac

Master Guru
Dec 24, 2007
Wayles.
I was in ASDA carpark on Thursday driving down the lanes looking for a space to park when I was going past a guy reversed out of his bay (without looking obviously) and went into the rear side of my car.

Was it all his fault? We've been quoted ~£1000 for the damage and the insurers said they are sending an assessor out today. They said it was hit fault and he shouldn't be able to claim off our insurance, but I'm only a provisional driver so if he did, wouldn't our premiums be through the roof?

I will post pics later when I cba to go outside, not feeling very well at all.

Pez_555

Master Guru
Feb 3, 2006
i dont think it affects your premium if it turns out to be the other guys fault.

i had a similar thing happen to me (although my car was parked outside my mates whilst i was round his). my insurance didnt change, still paying £18 a month.

BigYoSpeck

Superior Member
Dec 29, 2008
[QUOTE="Pez_555, post: 0]i dont think it affects your premium if it turns out to be the other guys fault.

i had a similar thing happen to me (although my car was parked outside my mates whilst i was round his). my insurance didnt change, still paying £18 a month.[/quote]

Oh believe me it does :) Three none fault claims in 4 years and there are plenty of insurers that won't touch me because of it even with my ncb being intact. Being in an accident, even none fault will affect your premiums, especially as a new driver with little to no ncb.

This sounds like it was obviously his fault. He has emerged while you were proceeding correctly and struck your car. Your insurer should be able to recoup the costs from this. If it was at a supermarket there will probably be cctv which will make it open and shut.

Worse comes to the worse though it will end up split liability which means the insurers split the cost in some manner, not always 50/50 though. This will loose your ncb and increase your premiums though.

V3nom

Provehito in Altum
Nov 17, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Yeah, don't sweat it man, as long as you're telling the truth and they reversed into you then you'll be fine.

Just stick to your guns and your insurance will cover everything.

I threatened the guy in my accident with court action and he admited fault straight away. That was after 5 months of going back and forth mind you but as soon as my insurer mentioned court action he admitted it because he knew he would lose!

:gta:

[DT]

Forum Guru
May 1, 2008
Vilano Beach, FL
*IF* you make a claim against your insurance - fault or not (including things like theft) it can bump your rates.

*However* if it was the other driver's fault, you shouldn't be making a claim.

You should've gotten a police report which makes things super simple. FTR, the driver backing out has the burden of yielding so it's in most cases their fault (unless you're both pulling out of spots, or it could be clearly assessed that you were speeding, etc.).

richie217

Power Overwhelming
Dec 10, 2008
[DT];4652396 said:
*IF* you make a claim against your insurance - fault or not (including things like theft) it can bump your rates.

*However* if it was the other driver's fault, you shouldn't be making a claim.

You should've gotten a police report which makes things super simple. FTR, the driver backing out has the burden of yielding so it's in most cases their fault (unless you're both pulling out of spots, or it could be clearly assessed that you were speeding, etc.).
THIS. If he is at fault he should be the one lodging a claim with his insurer. In Aus if there is more than $1000 worth of damage I think a police report is required by the insurer, which if you are not at fault makes things a lot smoother.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
If you are provisional you need a person 21 or over with a full UK license in the car with you if not then you are not insured.

Just make sure you claim back any costs you get even a small one, my dad had to claim £25 back off the other party otherwise it went down as a claim against him, sounds stupid I know.

Shaunyac

Master Guru
Dec 24, 2007
Wayles.
Good news is that it was all his fault since he reversed,

My car is being taken tomorrow (Wesnesday) for the repair and will be back on Monday.