Activision Blizzard: 20% revenue increase in 2008/zero debt & 3 new IP's in 2009

carocat

Community Manager
May 25, 2006
carocat.co.uk
Defying industry trends, “Guitar Hero” publisher Activision Blizzard reported a 20% revenue increase in 2008 during an earnings call this afternoon, and reported zero debt and 3.1 billion dollars in cash at year-end, quite contrary to what we’ve seen from other publishers like THQ and Electronic Arts.

“We enter 2009 with the finest product slate in our company’s history,” said Activision Blizzard CEO Robert Kotick in a press release about the earnings results, “and an organization properly sized and resourced to compete alongside the many new entrants and existing competitors in our industry. During the year, we will continue to employ our proven strategies that have worked so well for us over the last decade.”
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/02/11/activision-blizzard-has-no-debt-31-billion-in-cash/

Despite Activision Blizzard’s massive resources, the company will be conservative in 2009, introducing only three new franchises in 2009 — a racer, a shooter and and undisclosed game — according to statements made by Activision Blizzard publishing CEO Mike Griffith on today’s earnings call.

Activision Blizzard will introduce just three new franchises in 2009, said the company’s publishing CEO Mike Griffith in today’s earning’s call – a racer, a new shooter and an undisclosed third game.

“We’ve been cautious with new IP development,” said Griffith during the call. “That’s lead to an excellent track record of success with the focus on big new franchises, not just one-off opportunities. ”

Later in the call, Griffith name checked Bizarre Creations‘ unannounced racing franchise, first-person-shooter “Singularity” from Raven Software and “Prototype,” a violent open world game they picked up from Vivendi Games.

It’s likely these are the three new franchises coming from the company, but we’re checking to make sure.

What do you make of their choices?
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/02/11/3-new-franchises-from-activision-blizzard-in-2009/

Great to see that at least some companies seem to be doing well, but let's face it, 2008 was exceptionally strong for them with new WoW content and GH.

Nevertheless, great news and I'm hoping other companies will do better this year.

That Bizarre Racing creation, does anyone know what that is? Is it that James Bond racer?

Sieghardt

All-Knowing RPG Tyrant
Aug 19, 2008
I could do without ANOTHER FPS, but pretty cool. I loved metropolis street racer on dreamcast, but never liked Project Gotham, hopefully it'll be something like MSR :D

Serinous

Elite Sage
Feb 18, 2008
[QUOTE="HellsJester, post: 0]I doubt any of those new IPs are from Blizzard.
They have 3 teams and they are all hard at work.[/quote]

Yes. It's best if those 3 teams are not distracted. I can't wait for Diablo 3 and StarCraft 2.

Kaze

Superior Member
Nov 14, 2007
Yah, its probably not any team from Blizzard. Starcraft 2, and Diablo 3, is already probably a hassle, I doubt they would invest in another production.

Aug 22, 2006
Alone in the Cold
[QUOTE="Kaze, post: 0]Yah, its probably not any team from Blizzard. Starcraft 2, and Diablo 3, is already probably a hassle, I doubt they would invest in another production.[/quote]
Dont forget the WoW team is constantly fixing bugs and developing new content as well as creating expansions on a yearly basis.

Shin Asura

Master Guru
Aug 23, 2006
Working out with Juri
[QUOTE="HellsJester, post: 0]Dont forget the WoW team is constantly fixing bugs and developing new content as well as creating expansions on a yearly basis.[/quote]

Dam you and your WoW talk, I just quit, STOP TEMPTING ME AHHH :bang:

Nov 25, 2008
Definitley not a surprise that Blizzard is doing so well. Can't wait to see D3 and SC2!

Dam you and your WoW talk, I just quit, STOP TEMPTING ME AHHH
I feel your pain my friend, I quit playing WoW around last August. Although, I hardly regret it. =D

Aug 22, 2006
Alone in the Cold
[QUOTE="Shin Asura, post: 0]Dam you and your WoW talk, I just quit, STOP TEMPTING ME AHHH :bang:[/quote]
Sorry.
Im trying to kick the addiction as well.
I pray Diablo III gets me off that addiction.

Forcedme

Super Elite
Oct 19, 2007
[QUOTE="HellsJester, post: 0]Sorry.
Im trying to kick the addiction as well.
I pray Diablo III gets me off that addiction.[/quote]

And starts a new one? ;)

Thank God the only online RPG I ever played was Guild Wars. I hear too many horror stories about World of Warcraft.