Adblock Plus for Firefox and PSU.com

*goo

Elite Guru
Aug 2, 2008
Surely you should only have to click an ad if you're interested in the product?

Out of interest, being a subscriber; what would I get as a benefit for paying?

Jaeger

Master Sage
Mar 2, 2008
[QUOTE="*goo, post: 5193902]Out of interest, being a subscriber; what would I get as a benefit for paying?[/QUOTE]
You get a coloured name, access to a private forum, larger signature size limit and, erm, I think that's it...

Tutankhamun

Ultimate Veteran
Aug 2, 2006
twitter.com
[QUOTE="*goo, post: 5193902]Surely you should only have to click an ad if you're interested in the product?[/quote]

For sure but somehow the site need to make money in order to survive. But if you are not seeing the ads at all you don't even know if they interest you.

[QUOTE="*goo, post: 5193902]Out of interest, being a subscriber; what would I get as a benefit for paying?[/QUOTE]

No ads, access to a special subscriber section, ability to delete your own posts and the ability to close or delete your own threads.

Oh and different specifications for signatures.

*goo

Elite Guru
Aug 2, 2008
Very true, but if I've taken the decision to block them; there's a good chance I'm not interested in being marketed to. Regardless of the product.

Nothing in the 'perks' of being a subscriber interest me enough to make me want to pay. That said, if the site accepted donations; I'd likely throw a few quid it's way every now and again.

*goo

Elite Guru
Aug 2, 2008
Lol, just the answer I expected.

Ironically, I couldn't even if I wanted to. The 'Latest PSU Headlines' tickertape at the top blocks access to the subscribe part. Unless there's some other way...

Thorzilla

Elite Sage
Feb 4, 2006
[QUOTE="Tutankhamun, post: 5193921]Well subscribe and see that as a donation then.[/QUOTE]

Thing is, that argument has been used to death. While I'm cool with donations, I'd only do it if something was actually being fixed. So far, I haven't seen much advancement in the forums to justify a donation. It's pretty much thrown away money.

Tutankhamun

Ultimate Veteran
Aug 2, 2006
twitter.com
[QUOTE="Thorzilla, post: 5193943]Thing is, that argument has been used to death. While I'm cool with donations, I'd only do it if something was actually being fixed. So far, I haven't seen much advancement in the forums to justify a donation. It's pretty much thrown away money.[/QUOTE]

Things are getting fixed now isn't it?

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="Tutankhamun, post: 5193947]Things are getting fixed now isn't it?[/QUOTE]
Put it this way, when things ARE fixed, I'll resub. Until then, if it runs out, it runs out. While there is a hint of things to come, it's a long way off from being a fixed forum. There are so many things wrong, not only with the actual forum, but the members too. That needs to be fixed as much as the broken forums.

Dennis Dyack

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2008
[QUOTE="Tutankhamun, post: 5193896]If you are not a subscriber and you're not clicking on ads how do you suppose the site should make money?[/QUOTE]

My goal is a faster browsing experience...PERIOD! I have no interest in the products and never click on ads. I block them on every site I frequent.

Tutankhamun

Ultimate Veteran
Aug 2, 2006
twitter.com
[QUOTE="Dennis Dyack, post: 5194002]My goal is a faster browsing experience...PERIOD! I have no interest in the products and never click on ads. I block them on every site I frequent.[/QUOTE]

Great, with that mindset every site would need to be behind a pay wall. I don't blame you though because most ads are intrusive and ugly. I didn't like the ads here so I subscribed to remove them. But I confess I also have a ad blocking system set up.

squirrelbo1

young rich and tasteless
Jul 27, 2008
London
f34r mate, the only reason im here is the members. up until a few days ago, this place was truely broken, noting really worked, stuff was in places you wouldn't expect it to be, stuff was called random things etc etc. the only thing that kept me here was the community. now the **** is being fixed, were heading the right way imo.

Dennis Dyack

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2008
[QUOTE="Tutankhamun, post: 5194005]Great, with that mindset every site would need to be behind a pay wall. I don't blame you though because most ads are intrusive and ugly. I didn't like the ads here so I subscribed to remove them. But I confess I also have a ad blocking system set up.[/QUOTE]

There are enough suckers that shell out money and click on ads that I don't need to worry about it. If it gets to the point that a site may have to convert to pay only, I'll reconsider at that time.

RobJackson85

PHAT boy gone slim
Mar 25, 2007
England

[QUOTE="Tutankhamun, post: 5193912]No ads, access to a special subscriber section, ability to delete your own posts and the ability to close or delete your own threads.

Oh and different specifications for signatures.[/QUOTE]

I know this question has been answered here, but would it be easier to have a post in the 'Forum help and info' section advertising the benefits of being a subscriber?

Jan 11, 2008
www.Thetf.net
I think subscriber perks and improvements are on the agenda for a reshuffle. We've always had new perks as something we wanted to do and I think the new management will try and improve on those fronts too. From my experience with Mr.Bishop, he is a genuine guy who wants to improve every aspect of the forum. As this website is both a community and a business, it makes sense that he'd improve things to get more subscriptions.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="squirrelbo1, post: 5194008]f34r mate, the only reason im here is the members. up until a few days ago, this place was truely broken, noting really worked, stuff was in places you wouldn't expect it to be, stuff was called random things etc etc. the only thing that kept me here was the community. now the **** is being fixed, were heading the right way imo.[/QUOTE]
I'm not going into specifics here as it'd be pointless and cause more problems for me than it's really worth. I'll keep browsing and posting, and reporting. If you're fine with the way these forums are being utilized by a certain few members, constantly, then the problems that I feel need addressing wouldn't really concern you.

RobJackson85

PHAT boy gone slim
Mar 25, 2007
England
[QUOTE="Galvanise_, post: 5194301]I think subscriber perks and improvements are on the agenda for a reshuffle. We've always had new perks as something we wanted to do and I think the new management will try and improve on those fronts too. From my experience with Mr.Bishop, he is a genuine guy who wants to improve every aspect of the forum. As this website is both a community and a business, it makes sense that he'd improve things to get more subscriptions.[/QUOTE]

Great news. Looks like things are looking up for this forum.

J3ff3

Elite Guru
Dec 30, 2006
[QUOTE="Tutankhamun, post: 5193912]For sure but somehow the site need to make money in order to survive. But if you are not seeing the ads at all you don't even know if they interest you.
[/QUOTE]

i'm not putting up with all the **** adverts on the internet just so that PSU can make a bit of extra cash.

some people can still see the adverts, so they can still make money.

they have a HUGE captive audience eitherway - if money from adverts starts to run dry (which seems unlikely), it isn't like they don't have an ability to diversify.

i find it hard to believe that they are struggling.

Firefox

Master Sage
Jan 7, 2006
Canada
I am pretty positive they make less from ads with the new updates than before.. why? Because the more annoying ads are, the more likely your audience are to block it.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
The only reason the forum is so misshapen and deformed and squashed is the ads even when blocked I see the big whte box where they would be, so much wasted space.
Also I just dissabled adblock and refreshed the page and holy crap did it lag.
How many times has there been a virus embeded into he adverts here , I have seen a fair few threads about it here in the past.
Think I will keep on blocking thank you very much.

Cyn

Veteran
Feb 19, 2008
I block the ads and don't have a problem with site performance. I spose that answers your question better than anyone else so far

Jaeger

Master Sage
Mar 2, 2008
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 5195194]The only reason the forum is so misshapen and deformed and squashed is the ads even when blocked I see the big whte box where they would be, so much wasted space. Also I just dissabled adblock and refreshed the page and holy crap did it lag. How many times has there been a virus embeded into he adverts here , I have seen a fair few threads about it here in the past.

Think I will keep on blocking thank you very much.[/QUOTE]
Way to support the forum, kiddo.

PSU relies on advertising to keep going. If there aren't enough 'clicks' per calendar month, the forum loses another affiliate and, with that loss, a source of income. How do you think Seb used to pay for the hosting for this place? I'm aware we've just undergone a huge takeover and that the new owners must have a fair bit of money to buy us like that but the hosting is like £2000/month. The 'clicks' are the only thing bringing in some money to pay that £2000/month off.

If you hate/dislike the adverts so much, why not become a subscriber? You get rid of the adverts and you get a whole host of other features and benefits that normal members don't. I know it's kind of hypocritical coming from me as I'm not a subscriber but I used to be and, as soon as I get some money coming in, I'll no doubt subscribe again. It helps keep PSU going, you don't get the adverts and you get access to loads of stuff. And like Gal said, Mr. B is quite possibly reworking that list to include more benefits - there really is no reason not to subcribe.

Firefox

Master Sage
Jan 7, 2006
Canada
Well as he said he is afraid to click for fear of viruses which was really the case with the adverts in the past. But now some adverts are from legit sources (Turtle Beach is one example I think) but others seem sketchy.

Also is money based on clicks or just views?

J3ff3

Elite Guru
Dec 30, 2006
[QUOTE="Jaeger, post: 5195259]Way to support the forum, kiddo.

PSU relies on advertising to keep going. If there aren't enough 'clicks' per calendar month, the forum loses another affiliate and, with that loss, a source of income. How do you think Seb used to pay for the hosting for this place? I'm aware we've just undergone a huge takeover and that the new owners must have a fair bit of money to buy us like that but the hosting is like £2000/month. The 'clicks' are the only thing bringing in some money to pay that £2000/month off.

If you hate/dislike the adverts so much, why not become a subscriber? You get rid of the adverts and you get a whole host of other features and benefits that normal members don't. I know it's kind of hypocritical coming from me as I'm not a subscriber but I used to be and, as soon as I get some money coming in, I'll no doubt subscribe again. It helps keep PSU going, you don't get the adverts and you get access to loads of stuff. And like Gal said, Mr. B is quite possibly reworking that list to include more benefits - there really is no reason not to subcribe.[/QUOTE]
whether i can see the ads or not i'm not going to click them. with that sort of attitude my PC wouldn't last very long.

what do you want people to do? turn off adblock just for when they visit here? and then click on adverts they don't trust, and aren't interested in anyway - just because PSU have financial targets to hit? They are a business, as someone has pointed out. I don't buy games from MS just because i feel they might be having a bad financial year, and to be honest i don't see the difference.

i'm sorry, but they give you a choice - and i chose not to spend my money on a forum that, quite frankly, doesn't even work properly (which is why i'm currently on IE). If there was a real financial issue i might be pursuaded to dig deep to help keep the place alive - but at the end of the day they are a business, so no form of 'guilt trip' is going to convince me to spend money that i don't have, or click adverts i have no interest in.

@firefox - i think its worse than that. I'm not even sure you have to click for the virus to infect you - it just has to be an advert on the site.

Last edited:

Jaeger

Master Sage
Mar 2, 2008
[QUOTE="Firefox, post: 5195263]Well as he said he is afraid to click for fear of viruses which was really the case with the adverts in the past. But now some adverts are from legit sources (Turtle Beach is one example I think) but others seem sketchy.

Also is money based on clicks or just views?[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure the new owners wouldn't let just anyone have an advert on their new forum. I think all adverts are checked by Mr. Bishop and co. before being shown to the public.

As for your question, the revenue is based on clicks, I'm sure it is.

[QUOTE="J3ff3, post: 5195270]Whether I can see the ads or not I'm not going to click them. With that sort of attitude my PC wouldn't last very long.[/QUOTE]
Why are you even here if you're not willing to help support us? Hell, all you have to do is click and then close the window. It'd take like, what, two seconds to do and ensures PSU stays open/active for just a little longer.

EDIT: Nice stealth edit there. As I said above, the NEW adverts are gonna be virus-free. Why the hell would the new owners risk letting their users be infected with all sorts of crap when they've just spent a lot of money investing in PSU?

J3ff3

Elite Guru
Dec 30, 2006
[QUOTE="Jaeger, post: 5195283]

EDIT: Nice stealth edit there. [/QUOTE]

how was that a stealth edit? i clearly added alot more content. i'll announce it next time.

I'm pretty sure the new owners wouldn't let just anyone have an advert on their new forum. I think all adverts are checked by Mr. Bishop and co. before being shown to the public.
oh, well how relieved do i feel given these weighty assurances??

Why are you even here if you're not willing to help support us? Hell, all you have to do is click and then close the window. It'd take like, what, two seconds to do and ensures PSU stays open/active for just a little longer.
ever thought that users contribute just by being here? the site needs a certain level of activity. take away all those users that don't click or subscribe and this site is dead in the water.

regardless - i'm not clicking on links that i have no idea about. you'd be wise not to either.

As I said above, the NEW adverts are gonna be virus-free. Why the hell would the new owners risk letting their users be infected with all sorts of crap when they've just spent a lot of money investing in PSU?
why the hell would the old owners have risked it either? yet it happened.