Alienware

zeon9881

Forum Elder
Jul 7, 2007
So were buying a desktop in summer. Were just waiting for Core I7 980X to come out

But I was just wondering, what is everones oppinion on alienware desktops.

Also whats the best graphics card out right now?

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
They make nice looking, and functional cases. They're built to last, and be expanded upon time and time again.

There's a model with easily switchable HDD for storing excessive amounts of games.

The actual parts, like all pre-built computers, are nothing you cannot buy and assemble yourself. There's a few things you pay for when you get an alienware.

-Personalization
--- You're able to have a custom engraved plate
--- You're able to have custom lighting on the case.
--- You're going to end up with a fairly good looking computer.

-Bundled Software
--- Alienware bundles absolutely no trial software on their computers.
--- You can pick certain games to be pre-installed on the machine such as WoW. No big deal but saves bandwidth/time.
--- Alienware has a bunch of proprietary software and drivers. Nvidia even issues drivers specifically for alienware. There's extensive system management software included.

-Build Quality
--- For the most part the build quality is quite good. Like any product you'll find stories of hardware, or customer service issues online. In my experience these stories are both over exaggerated, and overstated due to negative opinions are more likely to be expressed.
--- The hardware options are fairly up-to date and Alienware is constantly adding new options to their build menus. Naturally the newest parts won't be an option due to certification and QA testing with their own software.

As for the best graphics card... in my experience you will always have two sides to this argument. One side hails Nvidia as the greatest, and the other swears by ATI. So I can't really give you a clear answer on that.

In the end... it's the little extras you pay extra for. You could definitely get a compatible machine for cheaper. There's no doubt about that.

darksora

Master Poster
Apr 23, 2007
Love alienware and I pretty much agree with Tyrien. Already have one alienware desktop, will be buying another in the next few weeks ^_^

Then again, you'll have people who will disagree with buying alienware because you can build them for alot cheaper.

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
[QUOTE="darksora, post: 0]Love alienware and I pretty much agree with Tyrien. Already have one alienware desktop, will be buying another in the next few weeks ^_^

Then again, you'll have people who will disagree with buying alienware because you can build them for alot cheaper.[/quote]

I have an alienware laptop myself. I know full well that I paid more than I could for the same parts at the given time I bought it.

I'm happy with the little extras I got :)

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
i am one of thsoe persons that thinks they are a bit expensive, if I was a person that didn't like messing with computers and had less time and dint know what I knwo then I would buy one perhaps.

Feb 21, 2009
[QUOTE="zeon9881, post: 0]So were buying a desktop in summer. Were just waiting for Core I7 980X to come out

But I was just wondering, what is everones oppinion on alienware desktops.

Also whats the best graphics card out right now?[/quote]

Just build your own. It isn't very hard (I am sure you can find a ton of tutorials on YouTube) and you will save a great deal of money in the end. When I built this machine (about 3 years ago now) I looked at some popular sites like Alienware and a couple other high end gaming computer sites. I got my computer for around 1500, if I bought through them it would have been 8000...And that is not an over exaggeration. That to me is a joke. What are they charging the extra 6000 dollars for? "In the end... it's the little extras you pay extra for." like Tyrien said? I mean that should be very large extras lol.

Now don't get me wrong, I am sure they do a quality job, but you will be paying a HUGE premium for them to do that. I would have to say it isn't anywhere near worth it when you could build the system yourself for a quarter of the price.

As for the best graphics card...Do you mean brand or actual card? I was about to start looking myself (as I said my system is 3 years old heh). I generally stick with Nvidia as I have always had issues with ATI cards (more so their drivers than the actual hardware). I personally always buy the EVGA branded Nvidia cards as well. I think the GTX 280 is the new one?

Anyways good luck with your new machine no matter which way you go :) .

Mar 17, 2006
[QUOTE="Smorkin Panda, post: 0]Just build your own. It isn't very hard (I am sure you can find a ton of tutorials on YouTube) and you will save a great deal of money in the end. When I built this machine (about 3 years ago now) I looked at some popular sites like Alienware and a couple other high end gaming computer sites. I got my computer for around 1500, if I bought through them it would have been 8000...And that is not an over exaggeration. That to me is a joke. What are they charging the extra 6000 dollars for? "In the end... it's the little extras you pay extra for." like Tyrien said? I mean that should be very large extras lol.

Now don't get me wrong, I am sure they do a quality job, but you will be paying a HUGE premium for them to do that. I would have to say it isn't anywhere near worth it when you could build the system yourself for a quarter of the price.

As for the best graphics card...Do you mean brand or actual card? I was about to start looking myself (as I said my system is 3 years old heh). I generally stick with Nvidia as I have always had issues with ATI cards (more so their drivers than the actual hardware). I personally always buy the EVGA branded Nvidia cards as well. I think the GTX 280 is the new one?

Anyways good luck with your new machine no matter which way you go :) .[/quote]

?

Dude I doubt that. They are over priced but not that much. have to put in i7 extreme and quad gpu and 8-16 gigs of ram....then get to about 6.5 grand and if you build something like that well the processor is 1500 by it self 600 per gpu and like 600 plus for some decent ram. So factoring in build labor and name its not that over priced...