Alright, what's wrong with the Dynex HDTVs from Best Buy?

SwitchBlade

Dedicated Member
Oct 18, 2006
www.myspace.com
I picked up a 37" Dynex for my mom today, couldn't find ANY info about their HD sets online. No user reviews or anything. It's a Christmas present, so I'm not giving it to her for a bit, but I was planning to give it to her in a week or so. If it's junk I'll take it back and try to get something else, I'm on a budget though and trying to find a decent TV that is bigger than 32" isn't an easy task, even harder when Best Buy is my only option for buying one (Credit baby!).
Like I said it's for my mom, she's 65 years old so she doesn't need anything too fancy and something SUPER high quality would be a bit wasted on her, but I dont' want to give her something that's junk.
HALP!

Ridge Racer

Dedicated Member
Jun 3, 2006
The only thing I know about Dynex is that it's a brand I wouldn't waste money on regardless of who it's for or what. o_O

Ridge Racer

Dedicated Member
Jun 3, 2006
[QUOTE="SwitchBlade, post: 0]Wow, thanks for that wonderful insight. Most helpful....[/QUOTE]

Sorry man, but then again I don't see anyone else offering up their insights.

G

GuitarrassDeAmor

Take it back and get a Samsung. I would not buy anything high end, such as a TV, that I didn't know who made it. I mean, if there is a $1,000 price difference, you know the answer there, but other than that, go with trusted brands.

[velocity]

Master Poster
Dec 1, 2006
[QUOTE="GuitarasDeAmor, post: 0]Take it back and get a Samsung. I would not buy anything high end, such as a TV, that I didn't know who made it. I mean, if there is a $1,000 price difference, you know the answer there, but other than that, go with trusted brands.[/quote]

Yeah, it's not wise to buy a cheap HDTV. Put a little more money and go for a Samsung - they're absolutely gorgeous.

SwitchBlade

Dedicated Member
Oct 18, 2006
www.myspace.com
I've got a 32" Philips on the wall in the bedroom, and a 50" Toshiba in the living room. The Dynex is for my mom, she wouldn't see much difference in a high-end set.

I ended up setting the set I got for her here at my house to check it out, played COD4 on it for a couple of hours and watched some OTA tv. It's a decent television for the money after you make some adjustments on it, but it's nothing to brag about. With the extended warranty it'll do just fine for her.

EMAGDNIM

Master Poster
Oct 16, 2006
[QUOTE="SwitchBlade, post: 0]
Like I said it's for my mom, she's 65 years old so she doesn't need anything too fancy and something SUPER high quality would be a bit wasted on her[/quote]

you've just justified it so to yourself so...it's a good set for her...

Who cares if it does not have all the bells that you're looking for. If she could care less then you're set with the TV you selected...Just get a warranty and you've got all your bases covered.

mbole

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2007
i will agree with the post above me. I have a cheapo HDTV (Olevia) and sure I notice a difference in mine and one that is 500 dollars more, but not enough to justify the money spent.

SwitchBlade

Dedicated Member
Oct 18, 2006
www.myspace.com
Did you read the other posts? It's for my mom who isn't an AV person and I was on a pretty tight budget for something over 32"....if a 32" wasn't too small for the room it was going in I would've picked her up a philips like we have in our bedroom...

SwitchBlade

Dedicated Member
Oct 18, 2006
www.myspace.com
UPDATE: I read up on the Dynex and it turns out they're produced by Orion, and Orion is who makes some of the horrible insignia sets and they made my old 19" SD tv that used to be in our bedroom. Since Dynex isn't a REAL company, you have no recourse if the set dies and you don't have the Best Buy warranty. Sooooo...
I decided that it wasn't good enough, and got my mom to come over and surpised her with an HDTV, then we proceeded to Best Buy and returned it! She added some money to the $800 we had for her a tv and went home with the 42" Philips LCD. We love our 32" philips so I had no doubt the 42" version would be nice as well. It looks great on her new tv stand and will be even better when she upgrade to HD tomorrow with her cable company. Also went ahead and gave my brother who lives with her his 360 for Christmas so he too can be enjoying the HD bliss!

XOXOHTH

Apprentice
Jul 22, 2007
[QUOTE="SwitchBlade, post: 0]UPDATE: I read up on the Dynex and it turns out they're produced by Orion, and Orion is who makes some of the horrible insignia sets and they made my old 19" SD tv that used to be in our bedroom. Since Dynex isn't a REAL company, you have no recourse if the set dies and you don't have the Best Buy warranty. Sooooo...
I decided that it wasn't good enough, and got my mom to come over and surpised her with an HDTV, then we proceeded to Best Buy and returned it! She added some money to the $800 we had for her a tv and went home with the 42" Philips LCD. We love our 32" philips so I had no doubt the 42" version would be nice as well. It looks great on her new tv stand and will be even better when she upgrade to HD tomorrow with her cable company. Also went ahead and gave my brother who lives with her his 360 for Christmas so he too can be enjoying the HD bliss![/quote]

Another happy ending! tune in next week when little brother bites off more then he can chew, and hilarity ensues. . .