Am I the only one who liked Star Ocean IV?

Arimax

Dedicated Member
May 31, 2006
Georgia
You probably aren't, but this game was just...............how should I put this.

Because I'd be lying if I said it was horrible, but I've never played a RPG or game period where the voice acting alone(and I did say this in another thread) derailed everything about the game.

I bought SO4 International for PS3 like two years ago summer 2011 if I remember, and once I met Lymle whatever the heck her name was game went extremely down hill from there. From all the Kay's(KAY!!!!!) to annoyance of Miracle and Sarah it was a huge cluster fuck of craptastic voice acting(except Bacchus he was cool).

Couple that with the use of annoying anime cliche's, and just just just damn.

I got near the very end and gave up I couldn't take it anymore even switching to japanese voice acting didn't help they sounded just as annoying in fact it's the second worse Japanese voicing I've ever heard. \

The game had great overworlds(planets) and a awesome battle system, and the story might have been good, but I'll never know with that horrid acting.

Fedos

Master Guru
Feb 21, 2005
[QUOTE="Shin Asura, post: 5967166]This was my first Star Ocean game so I can't compare it to anything[/QUOTE]

You should at least give Star Ocean: The Second Story a try. I've played all of the Star Oceans from the second one to the fourth. It'd be nice if Square Enix put it up over PSN, or at least, I don't think it's up yet.

Arimax

Dedicated Member
May 31, 2006
Georgia
[QUOTE="Shin Asura, post: 5967166]This was my first Star Ocean game so I can't compare it to anything[/QUOTE]

Then there is that I played Star Ocean 3 first it was the better game to me, but I'll let you decide on that if you ever play it anytime in your life.

I will add as an edit that battle system between 3 and 4 are identical with a few differences.

Shin Asura

Master Guru
Aug 23, 2006
Working out with Juri
[QUOTE="Fedos, post: 5967183]You should at least give Star Ocean: The Second Story a try. I've played all of the Star Oceans from the second one to the fourth. It'd be nice if Square Enix put it up over PSN, or at least, I don't think it's up yet.[/QUOTE]

Cool thanks, I used to see the Star Ocean titles in the store but didn't have enough money at the time to buy all the titles that looked interesting

[QUOTE="AaronSOLDIER, post: 5967186]I think SO1 and 2 are on PSN for PSP. I can't remember.[/QUOTE]

Nice, I'll take a look

Nakatomi Uk

Master Poster
Feb 4, 2008
Uk
The game was boring for me I played the original 360 version and I couldn't get into it the voice acting was terrible the characters where dull and there was no emotion when they spoke scenes the story just make any sense when it got to alternate earth it was just boring

Yuuichi

Miqo'te Bard
Oct 25, 2009
[QUOTE="Nakatomi Uk, post: 5967291]The game was boring for me I played the original 360 version and I couldn't get into it the voice acting was terrible the characters where dull and there was no emotion when they spoke scenes the story just make any sense when it got to alternate earth it was just boring[/QUOTE]

I played it first on 360 as well and thought same. When ps3 got their version and japanease voices it was so much better. Still was not the best star ocean but def not bad.......................kay! Lol

Arimax

Dedicated Member
May 31, 2006
Georgia
[QUOTE="Shin Asura, post: 5967345]Lucky for me I missed out on the 360 version, dubbing sounds terribad

That aside though gameplay was nice for me, i'm probably going to play it again after I clear my backlog[/QUOTE]

Problem is both audio tracks are quite terrible I told you that in my first post, or maybe second.

@ Nakatomi UK

That's around the time it got bad for me as well at that point that part of the story was interesting keeping it afloat somewhat, but then Edge went into that extreme stupor which ultimately was the most overly melo-dramatic scenes ever. In fact they couldn't even sell those scenes to me what so ever.

Last edited:

Fenix

Elite Sage
Aug 19, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Star Ocean: Till the end of time was my first Star Ocean, and ultimately my favourite. I had high hopes for four but I couldnt make it too far through it. I'm thinking about picking it up again for PS3 and retrying it.. but I dont know

Arimax

Dedicated Member
May 31, 2006
Georgia
[QUOTE="Fenix, post: 5967519]Star Ocean: Till the end of time was my first Star Ocean, and ultimately my favourite. I had high hopes for four but I couldnt make it too far through it. I'm thinking about picking it up again for PS3 and retrying it.. but I dont know[/QUOTE]

DON'T DO IT lol.

One reason I could see you getting it again is if you hate to leave games unfinished.

VayMasters86

Dedicated Member
Sep 13, 2007
I thought it was good overall. The dialogue was made up for by decent game play and overall design. But, I think the game would have been much better for me if they had a replay value, like a new game plus, or multiple POV like in Star Ocean: The Second Story.

My one issue with SOIV would have to be the fact that it felt like there was very few explorable civilizations, even though it was practically the same as Till the End of Time, it just felt small. If there is a new SO, I'm hoping that it feels much bigger and wide spread with varied levels of civilization like medieval, modern, etc...

Fenix

Elite Sage
Aug 19, 2007
Ontario, Canada
[QUOTE="Arimax, post: 5967694]DON'T DO IT lol.

One reason I could see you getting it again is if you hate to leave games unfinished.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, its too late. After I commented earlier I bid on a copy (As of posting, $7.27 with $10 shipping) and I'm still winning. So hopefully the tweaked (apparently?) battle system, menus, and japanese audio will fix whatever it was that I didnt like.

Noone likes to leave games unfinished, but it happens to me far more frequently then I'd care to admit. Infact I'm probably more of a collector then a gamer these days, I like to own the games more then play them.. lmfao :|

Last edited:

Arimax

Dedicated Member
May 31, 2006
Georgia
[QUOTE="Fenix, post: 5967738]Unfortunately, its too late. After I commented earlier I bid on a copy (As of posting, $7.27 with $10 shipping) and I'm still winning. So hopefully the tweaked (apparently?) battle system, menus, and japanese audio will fix whatever it was that I didnt like.

Noone likes to leave games unfinished, but it happens to me far more frequently then I'd care to admit. Infact I'm probably more of a collector then a gamer these days, I like to own the games more then play them.. lmfao :|[/QUOTE]

Gotcha to each his own, but the PS3 probably is the first console where I've left many games unfinished and never looked back.

GT5, FFXIII, SO4, and even some PSN bought games like Moon Diver(it's okay just got repetitive).

Yuuichi

Miqo'te Bard
Oct 25, 2009
[QUOTE="Arimax, post: 5968351]Gotcha to each his own, but the PS3 probably is the first console where I've left many games unfinished and never looked back.

GT5, FFXIII, SO4, and even some PSN bought games like Moon Diver(it's okay just got repetitive).[/QUOTE]

Know what helps with FF13, pretending it is not a true FF title lol. I have been doing this since 7 and has made me enjoy the games, yet realize FF series in a true sense is dead.

Arimax

Dedicated Member
May 31, 2006
Georgia
[QUOTE="Yuuichi, post: 5968388]Know what helps with FF13, pretending it is not a true FF title lol. I have been doing this since 7 and has made me enjoy the games, yet realize FF series in a true sense is dead.[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't have helped with or without that title in it's name the story was just...........can't figure out a word, and by the time I reached a certain point the linearity had gotten to me.

I know games like Uncharted are linear and what not, but it's not as bad as this game was. Like I knew FFXIII was a hallway because the story didn't keep me interested, and so other faults began to show up.