Analyst says PS4 launching this October, Xbox 720 in November

TGO

Ancient
Feb 26, 2006
purgatory
Baird Equity Research’s Colin Sebastian believes that the PS4 will launch in October and will be followed by an Xbox 720 arrival the following month.

However, he also claims in a note to analysts that he’s heard word of “early production issues with Sony's PS4” that could delay Sony’s plans.

Oddly, last year had tipsters saying that it was Microsoft’s machine that was suffering technical hiccups.

"Given the fragile state of the console game market, we expect the E3 trade show in June will take on added significance, most likely providing the industry with the first public opportunity to examine next-generation hardware," Sebastian stated.

"Our checks suggest that next-generation console hardware will be largely built from 'off the shelf' high-end PC components, along with hybrid physical/digital distribution models, enhanced voice controls and motion sensing (Kinect integration with every Xbox), and broad multi-media capabilities," he detailed.

He also had a word of warning for Nintendo, whom he believes will need to quickly bring its big franchises to Wii U if it wishes to widen the reach of the new console beyond the company’s loyalists.

"We remain concerned that Nintendo's innovative Wii-U console will lack broad appeal beyond the core Nintendo fan base,” he argued.
"Following a somewhat lacklustre launch and holiday selling season, Nintendo will need to bring to market major first-party releases and retain the support of key third-party developers to reduce market share losses. In a negative scenario, Nintendo will be forced to prematurely lower the Wii-U price, and over the course of this cycle, we expect consideration will be given to extending first party franchises to other platforms."
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/analyst-says-ps4-launching-this-october-xbox-720-in-november/0109252
I'm sorry guys but that mock up in the link.....looks like my toaster lol

TGO

Ancient
Feb 26, 2006
purgatory
[QUOTE="BoyBettaKnow, post: 5985978]I hope this isn't true. Them both being close together means it will be unlikely i can get both on launch date.[/QUOTE]

I'd rather they both get pushed back tbh

DarkVincent07

Trying not to break stuff...
Mar 4, 2008
Sydney
[QUOTE="TGO, post: 5985981]I'd rather they both get pushed back tbh[/QUOTE]

You serious? This gen as many quality games are still coming out, is long overdue it's been like 7 years that's insane. Bring on new hardware ASAP. I won't stop playing my ps3 or 360, I still play ps1, 2 and Xbox.

Give me new toys!

Via Tapatalk :)

TGO

Ancient
Feb 26, 2006
purgatory
[QUOTE="DarkVincent07, post: 5986004]You serious? This gen as many quality games are still coming out, is long overdue it's been like 7 years that's insane. Bring on new hardware ASAP. I won't stop playing my ps3 or 360, I still play ps1, 2 and Xbox.

Give me new toys!

Via Tapatalk :)[/QUOTE]

I don't think a few months will matter and as I work in retail I get my big pay out during the Christmas period so I'd be more prepared, whereas if PS4 releases in october it'll be in the short of funds period for me so I'd have to save or keep money back I have now for it instead.
so yes, I am serious.

Ariakace

Dedicated Member
Mar 12, 2008
New Jersey
bring on the next gen. Ill still pick up my ps3 games, but i think for next gen im going to be getting both consoles. i missed out on a lot of good 360 games this gen because my first xbox red ringed on me so often i said screw it im sticking with ps3. if its a month apart, im fine with that. i get paid every week and if the consoles are actually about 400 bucks a piece, ill be able to afford them both no problem. im really looking forward, and i hope they both launch this year.

TGO

Ancient
Feb 26, 2006
purgatory
[QUOTE="robvandam111, post: 5986484]I hope this is false although it is expected. There's definitely some overdue games. They should just announce it by E3 and release it by 2014.[/QUOTE]

100% agree
I think people are forgetting GTA5, MGS5 & GZ, FFXIII: LR are due this year, and theres a shit load more I just can't be arsed to list them
And thats not even including exclusives
Unless PS4 will be PS3 compatible

Sent via Codec

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
My reason for not wanting it to come out then is more of a selfish reason. I want to have both on launch. Both releasing a month after another is too close for me.

I will say though, i've been ready for the next generation for the last year and a bit now. This one has dragged on long enough

LfCpS3

Master Poster
May 22, 2009
If true, i believe the cheapest console ( or even the one with the most marketing) will be the winner of christmas 2013, which could be a huge boost.

I think MS have more room for spending money right?

Tven

Superior Member
Nov 21, 2007
Im likely gonna get both, so im gonna have to spread out the purchases to afford both. which to buy first is the question?

S

Soldier 95B

[QUOTE="BoyBettaKnow, post: 5985978]I hope this isn't true. Them both being close together means it will be unlikely i can get both on launch date.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="BoyBettaKnow, post: 5986505]My reason for not wanting it to come out then is more of a selfish reason. I want to have both on launch. Both releasing a month after another is too close for me.

I will say though, i've been ready for the next generation for the last year and a bit now. This one has dragged on long enough[/QUOTE]

I know you will do anything in your power to get both on release :)

EHY893

Elite Guru
Jun 4, 2008
I said in the past I'd only be buying one next gen.. screw that notion. Bring them both on! I'll be having them both on release even if they are released a month or even a week apart.

Oct 18, 2006
[QUOTE="emmerich, post: 5988361]I said in the past I'd only be buying one next gen.. screw that notion. Bring them both on! I'll be having them both on release even if they are released a month or even a week apart.[/QUOTE]

I think a lot of people are starting to think the same way, myself included! This is going to be a great year for gaming, I can't wait to see what each side brings to the table in a few months!

Oct 18, 2006
[QUOTE="daLa, post: 5988539]They best not make 600,000 units for the whole country, and have us waiting over a month to get it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that would suck! Hopefully because they will be using more common parts that won't be the case!

Sep 17, 2005
I doubt anyone has an idea of what Sony's next platform hardware will be capable of. No one had a clue about the Cell processor and what it was capable of back in 2004-06. Even developers had issues with learning its new "alien" / foreign technology.

It's possible to figure RAM and certain online components / software, but I believe Sony has the technology to release something futuristic with hardware. Perhaps a progression of the Cell processor, but still far ahead of anything you see in current high-end PC's. Sony plans for long-term, 7-10 years.

Ariakace

Dedicated Member
Mar 12, 2008
New Jersey
yes, but if sony releases the PS4 in 2013, then chances are by 2018/19 youll see the PS 5 while the PS4 still sells for a few years.

All reports indicate that Sony is trying to make their system easier to develop for this time around using more "Off the shelf" type components. Developing for the cell processor that the PS3 used was every developers biggest complaint/criticism. And also look how that resulted when multi-platform games were released. Many of them looked superior on the 360 vs the PS3 because they were developed with PC/360 in mind and 360 is basically a scaled down gaming computer, then ported to PS3. I would thing Sony would be looking to avoid such mis-steps this go around and just have something out their everyone is very familiar with, and can handle designing games for without having to learn the inner-workings of a completely new technology nobodys used before.

Sony most likely will be trying to avoid the same issues that plagued the PS3 through its lifespan.

And when you mention long term, 7-10 years, yes they mean for that console. So 7 years from now, i expect to see a PS5 ready to be announced/released and the PS3 being completely phased out, with PS4 being pushed to its last legs.

Oct 18, 2006
[QUOTE="Ariakace, post: 5988883]yes, but if sony releases the PS4 in 2013, then chances are by 2018/19 youll see the PS 5 while the PS4 still sells for a few years.

All reports indicate that Sony is trying to make their system easier to develop for this time around using more "Off the shelf" type components. Developing for the cell processor that the PS3 used was every developers biggest complaint/criticism. And also look how that resulted when multi-platform games were released. Many of them looked superior on the 360 vs the PS3 because they were developed with PC/360 in mind and 360 is basically a scaled down gaming computer, then ported to PS3. I would thing Sony would be looking to avoid such mis-steps this go around and just have something out their everyone is very familiar with, and can handle designing games for without having to learn the inner-workings of a completely new technology nobodys used before.

Sony most likely will be trying to avoid the same issues that plagued the PS3 through its lifespan.

And when you mention long term, 7-10 years, yes they mean for that console. So 7 years from now, i expect to see a PS5 ready to be announced/released and the PS3 being completely phased out, with PS4 being pushed to its last legs.[/QUOTE]

yes, Yes, YESSS! Exactly what I am thinking as well!

Ariakace

Dedicated Member
Mar 12, 2008
New Jersey
[QUOTE="Soldier 95B, post: 5988899]I think this is the last gen of consoles. No Xbox 4 or PS5.[/QUOTE]

I would have to disagree. i think the world has at least 2 or 3 more left. . Yes, mobile platforms are getting so advanced its insane what you can do on a phone/tablet. But if you look at the evidence of how well consoles are still selling (think Wii), I think well see some consoles for a good long time. Its tradition in the gaming industry. Especially for the masses of people who just cant afford high end gaming PC's, or cant afford to constantly upgrade their systems to the newest graphics card.

I make pretty good money now, but i still cant justify putting down 1000 dollars for a gaming pc which is only gonna be high end for 2 years before it cant run the newest games without an upgrade. Consoles will probably be around for the next 20-30 years. Remeber, 60 years ago they said we would all be driving flying cars by now.

S

Soldier 95B

The Wii U is actually a good example of how the consoles are moving to mobile devices. The console itself not only got smaller, but much of it has moved to the actual controller. At some point the controller will probably be the console, and will direct connect to the TV, as well as be portable. Add to that the future of cloud gaming and streaming.

TGO

Ancient
Feb 26, 2006
purgatory
[QUOTE="Soldier 95B, post: 5988910]The Wii U is actually a good example of how the consoles are moving to mobile devices. The console itself not only got smaller, but much of it has moved to the actual controller. At some point the controller will probably be the console, and will direct connect to the TV, as well as be portable. Add to that the future of cloud gaming and streaming.[/QUOTE]

I think its best to see what MS & Sony bring before making that prediction
The Wii U may be on its own with that, but connectivity with other mobile devices is highly possible, I even expect some NFC features included with Sony's & MS's console

Sent via Codec

EHY893

Elite Guru
Jun 4, 2008
Anybody think consoles will adopt contracts the way mobile phones currently do when going in to the next gen? I'm sure I heard that a while back with MS or maybe I didn't or it was a rumor or something.

Oct 18, 2006
[QUOTE="emmerich, post: 5989005]Anybody think consoles will adopt contracts the way mobile phones currently do when going in to the next gen? I'm sure I heard that a while back with MS or maybe I didn't or it was a rumor or something.[/QUOTE]

I know Microsoft had a contact that you can get a Xbox360 for $99 with a 2-year Xbox Live Gold subscription at $14.99 a month...I definitely see this becoming an option for this generation and beyond, it is a good way to leverage the cost of the console, cell phones have been doing it with great success so why not consoles! As long as they leave an option for me to buy it outright without a contract I am cool with this becoming the norm!