Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6412457]

^this guy^[/QUOTE]
I knew you looked familiar. ;)

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Who owns PSU.com these days? It seems like it's gone through a few hands since I worked here with Seb & Kieran.
I think StevenW owns it. Feels like we're overdue for another community update by the staff though. Not sure what, if anything, is going on behind the scenes.

Laddie13

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 7, 2018
PSU is owned by a Russian guy. He hires The BishopWay Inc, a business management company to run it, and they hired StevenW to manage PSU.

Sep 17, 2005
Yeah, the forum is looking pretty dead. I just figured I'd ask. I'd be up for trying to revive the community if they're looking for help.

Cuguy

Elite Sage
Mar 9, 2007
www.psu.com
Most sites with forums are desolate these days... so many different ways for people to communicate, that forums can seem a little archaic.

I still love forums, but yeah, this one is a mere shadow of when I joined

AJe

Former chief
Mar 19, 2007
Yeah this place is dead compared to when I first started and then ran things. Sad times.

Logging on now and seeing me as the only online member compared to 1000 at any one time back then is a gut punch.

Hedon

Jan 19, 2018
All the communication now is on social media places, as websites are integrating comments into the articles and skipping the community all together. Integrating Disqus, Facebook, etc into the comments of articles let's people discuss the articles, but they eventually fall off the page and nobody goes back to look for the discussion. And when that happens, you don't get to know people as "members" and establish any form of relationship with them.

I see all the conversations happening in Twitter feeds, Facebooks articles as well.

I guess I am old school and prefer the community driven forums, but the are a dying breed. GT Planet I feel has done a good job, as they integrated their article comments so that it turns into a forum post as people post in the article comments.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
PSU is pretty quiet in both its main page article comments and forum posts. I think it's not only a sign of the changing internet (as Hedon mentioned with social media) but also that PSU is competing with more popular gaming sites like IGN, Eurogamer etc.

I feel bad though because I'm sure PSU puts out some great articles but I just can't stop checking other sites first for gaming news. Hang in there, PSU.

AJe

Former chief
Mar 19, 2007
I guess I am old school and prefer the community driven forums, but the are a dying breed. GT Planet I feel has done a good job, as they integrated their article comments so that it turns into a forum post as people post in the article comments.
That's exactly what I wanted to do here but the technology just wasn't there at the time. It would've allowed people to view the content and discuss it in the way they wanted but with more people doing it.

From a news side PSU was never that big, the forum gave it the biggest amount of traffic and ad revenue.

I still prefer the forum like structure which is why I visit reddit more often than anywhere else because it points me in the direction of everything new and has a bit of chat/banter about things.

Laddie13

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 7, 2018
I’m an Associate Editor at PSU, I’m fairly new there, but I used to moderate several forums including Respawn Entertainment’s official forums and would love to see more traffic here.

It’s unfortunate that forums are a dying breed, they’ve always been one of my favorite online outlets especially for video games.

Cuguy

Elite Sage
Mar 9, 2007
www.psu.com
agreed AJe... total gut punch to see this forum in particular where it's at. But, tech and social media have left most forums sitting in mediocrity sadly.

This place used to have some of the best posters!

StevenW

General Manager
Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
Hi all. Just wanted to address this thread.

Social media has definitely made a huge impact. We were hoping to add the feature of posts appearing on both homepage and forums. The cost of the new site last year was pretty hefty so we haven't been able to invest further.

Also, a lot of the posts on here no longer get indexed on Google, so traffic has dropped from people finding us organically. Essentially, survival for the site has had to rely on the front page.

What we really need is someone in the community who thinks they could help revive this. Someone with some fresh ideas and passion. I think there's still hope as we head towards PS5 launch.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I tried searching for certain threads on Google, for example, my thread on Grandia + Grandia II HD Remastered will show up immediately as one of the first results, whereas threads in the PlayStation 4 forum don't, just a link to the forums.

Maybe you're getting no-index for some but not all of the forums?

Oct 3, 2018
Your work here on this blog has been top notch from day 1. You’ve been continously providing amazing articles for us all to read and I just hope that you keep it going on in the future as well. thanks for sharing