Anonymous "SOTW" Voting [POLL]

Oct 20, 2006
www.cozmagfx.com
I and many others think that it would be best to go back to "Anonymous" polling [ You pm your entries to the SOTW coordinator and he posts them up numerological keeping the anonynimity till the SOTW round is over.], like it was when Svetlana was DS leader as example. I think its a good way to filter out more cheaters this way, and overall make the SOTW experience more enjoyable and fair for the contestants. People vote up honestly.

grcswoosh

Master Poster
Oct 5, 2007
SoCal
Is this poll going to be anonymous? I don't want any of those cheaters to cheat here.

Like I said before, if people are cheating on a game forum, they really need a life.

I am not against it, I just am really disappointed in our society that we would need this :lol:

Oct 20, 2006
www.cozmagfx.com
[QUOTE="grcswoosh, post: 0]Is this poll going to be anonymous? I don't want any of those cheaters to cheat here.

Like I said before, if people are cheating on a game forum, they really need a life.

I am not against it, I just am really disappointed in our society that we would need this :lol:[/quote]

I agree bro, DS is getting shadier and shadier. I was on here before on a older account " stephancelmare360" , back then it was pretty good. But then new new era, and now another era emerged. Im sure the DS can rise.

Formula

Forum Elder
Jan 17, 2008
Hmmm...talk to Tribunal or Xelis about it..Being as these are the DS leaders. Also, you might want to discuss this with AJe too.

Xelis

Elite Sage
Jan 1, 2008
All Formula has to do is tick the show voters box and then not vote, then he can call out people who vote for themselves, then he can then vote himself near the end of the poll.

Worked for me.

G

gta0004

Don't look like anyone is cheating. If some new accounts voted, maybe you could ask AJe to run an IP check.

cruzader

Dedicated Member
Dec 28, 2006
It's not so much about cheating, as it is about being influenced.
Some people are merely voting for the name, and/or who voted for whom.

What some people fail to realize is that its a signature contest based on design, yet they'll vote based on the entry's subject.
(IE: voting for a signature just because it uses their favorite game)
Though, this probably can't be avoided.

magma12

Dedicated Member
Mar 20, 2008
[QUOTE="cruzader, post: 0]It's not so much about cheating, as it is about being influenced.
Some people are merely voting for the name, and/or who voted for whom.

What some people fail to realize is that its a signature contest based on design, yet they'll vote based on the entry's subject.
(IE: voting for a signature just because it uses their favorite game)
Though, this probably can't be avoided.[/quote]

Couldn't of said this any better. Yes on anonymous voting.

Well I hate to be the spoil sport with my suggestion but I feel only the members of the Design Squad should vote on SOTW entries. That would then also mean they can't enter, I know it's not guaranteed on who will win but with all the damn cheating and going on lately that would probably be the only way, in my mind...

Feb 20, 2008
smouch.net
No.

Besides, I'd already know whos was whos, Xelis would go grungy with some model (Giggety) Minimal would slap on the rainbows and coolio's would either have a ton of light effects or absolutely no effects whatsoever.

gruddy

Elite Sage
Aug 29, 2007
[QUOTE="THUGGEDOUT, post: 0]Well I hate to be the spoil sport with my suggestion but I feel only the members of the Design Squad should vote on SOTW entries. That would then also mean they can't enter, I know it's not guaranteed on who will win but with all the damn cheating and going on lately that would probably be the only way, in my mind...[/quote]

I don't feel that that would work.

There aren't much people in the DS and most of them are hardly on. If only they could vote, the results would all be very low and close. Also, the members of the DS should be allowed to enter. They are skilled designers and the battles, in my opinion, would be more interesting.

Can anyone tell me what all this 'cheating' is about? It mighy just be me but I can't see how anyone has cheated. Maybe it's because I don't visist the Design Corner as much as I used to.

[QUOTE="gruddy, post: 0]I don't feel that that would work.

There aren't much people in the DS and most of them are hardly on. If only they could vote, the results would all be very low and close. Also, the members of the DS should be allowed to enter. They are skilled designers and the battles, in my opinion, would be more interesting.

Can anyone tell me what all this 'cheating' is about? It mighy just be me but I can't see how anyone has cheated. Maybe it's because I don't visist the Design Corner as much as I used to.[/quote]

The only cheating I have seen is from people using sigs not of their own creation. But I think it's been brought up that maybe new members voting in SOTW could possibly be members who have given in entries.

You bring up valid points to my suggestion, the amount of DS members would be a problem I guess. My reasoning for just having them vote was to hopefully secure a voting system where the sigs would be voted on purely by design and skill and not on other things that members such as cruzader brought up...

Jaeger

Master Sage
Mar 2, 2008
Yeah, I think the polls should become anonymous. I'm kind of tired of seeing people vote for their favourite member, and not their favourite piece of work. It would give a lot more people a better chance at winning SOTW, and would prevent any biased behaviour from the public. However, the votes should be open for all to see, just not names to the art.

ManaBurnX

Shogun of the Ban Thread
Apr 6, 2008
[QUOTE="AJe, post: 0]SOTW entries should be anonymous when people vote on them but all polls should be public.[/quote]

^This

Honestly, this is the best idea and I'm all for it. It would be the fairest of all.

cruzader

Dedicated Member
Dec 28, 2006
The way Svet did it was fair and sound. Maybe its best that the system is brought back to how it was handled then.

smiggy

Forum Sage
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
I dont understand what you want to make anonymous?

Is it where we'd PM the entry to someone and the sig would be assigned a number say, or where we see who's voted for what?

cruzader

Dedicated Member
Dec 28, 2006
[QUOTE="smiggy, post: 0]I dont understand what you want to make anonymous?

Is it where we'd PM the entry to someone and the sig would be assigned a number say, or where we see who's voted for what?[/quote]

Both parts actually. At least while voting is still going on.
As soon as the poll is over, the names will become public and also the names of who voted for whom.

AJe

Former chief
Mar 19, 2007
The only way the voters can stay anonymous until after the poll is if I run a who voted report on the poll for every poll, not ideal by any means.

My suggestion like I said above is anonymous creative, public poll.

Oct 20, 2006
www.cozmagfx.com
[QUOTE="AJe, post: 0]The only way the voters can stay anonymous until after the poll is if I run a who voted report on the poll for every poll, not ideal by any means.

My suggestion like I said above is anonymous creative, public poll.[/quote]

Excatly what I had In mind :)

joeold

Elite Member
May 16, 2007
Roseville, Ca
[QUOTE="AJe, post: 0]The only way the voters can stay anonymous until after the poll is if I run a who voted report on the poll for every poll, not ideal by any means.

My suggestion like I said above is anonymous creative, public poll.[/quote]

[QUOTE="stephancelmare360!!, post: 0]Excatly what I had In mind :)[/quote]
I totally second that. I still don't see why it changed to begin with.

MrFenwick

Elite Sage
Feb 7, 2007
Tehachapi, CA
www.drippyink.com
I feel publicly showing your entry kind of limits the entries also. Some people will see whats been entered and just not even enter at all because they feel like they are no good.

True, its no fun getting all the PMs and getting everything sorted out when you run the SOTW, but I feel its a lot better then publicly showing your entries. Its best to keep the creator a secret until after the poll is finished.

Formula

Forum Elder
Jan 17, 2008
[QUOTE="Xelis, post: 0]All Formula has to do is tick the show voters box and then not vote, then he can call out people who vote for themselves, then he can then vote himself near the end of the poll.

Worked for me.[/quote]

:lol:, thats what ive been doing all along. Theres no way im accepting 5000 pm's guys. No...LOOK PEOPLE, if yall are so worried about people cheating do this:

Before you vote, click view poll results...Now, me, i ALWAYS make the polls public, where people can view who votes for who. Now, before you voted, click view poll results. Then it shows you who votes for who. Book mark that page in whatever bookmark section you'd like, or do it in your toolbar. Now, you can go ahead and vote for whoever. Now whenever you want to view who votes for who, to stop cheaters, if there are any, just click your bookmark. WAH LAH. And when the voting closes, and it comes time for a new one, delete the old, bookmark the new.

No need for 5000 pms. Its that simple. Problem solved...end of discussion.