Another Day another 'report'; Orbis Specs

DarkVincent07

Trying not to break stuff...
Mar 4, 2008
Sydney
[QUOTE="Lefein, post: 5992710]I like the controller idea a lot. Pretty cool if this turns out to be true.[/QUOTE]

Yep me too. So keen for announcement

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="MonkeyClaw, post: 5992769]Did you read the article? It is not permanently linked to it, just when you press the button the turn it on, it asks which account you want to login with. Just the fact of being able to have 4 players, all using their own accounts while playing multiplayer in a game is awesome![/QUOTE]

Errr, yeah it is,and 360 owner has been doing it for sometime.

I didn't even realize you couldn't do this on the PS3.

As for the rest of the article, as plausible as any of the rumours we have heard.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2006
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 5992936]Errr, yeah it is,and 360 owner has been doing it for sometime.

I didn't even realize you couldn't do this on the PS3.

As for the rest of the article, as plausible as any of the rumours we have heard.[/QUOTE]

I am just wondering how it is going to differ from the way Microsoft does it with the Xbox, I have never played multiplayer on a Xbox so I don't know how it works with that system.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="MonkeyClaw, post: 5992944]I am just wondering how it is going to differ from the way Microsoft does it with the Xbox, I have never played multiplayer on a Xbox so I don't know how it works with that system.[/QUOTE]

You either just be a "guest", with a controller, or you can simply press the silver button and log into a local or xbox live account. Most spit screen games require you to log in as someone else eg bordelands.

Oct 18, 2006
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 5992965]You either just be a "guest", with a controller, or you can simply press the silver button and log into a local or xbox live account. Most spit screen games require you to log in as someone else eg bordelands.[/QUOTE]

Can you play with two separate accounts with online multiplayer on one system as well?

J3ff3

Elite Guru
Dec 30, 2006
welcome to the headfuck that is 'trying to sort out profiles' when a control pad is out of battery... or when you try and switch pads....

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="MonkeyClaw, post: 5992986]Can you play with two separate accounts with online multiplayer on one system as well?[/QUOTE]
Yes.
I play halo 4 online with my son split screen, he is on his live account, I'm on mine . Online no one can tell we are on the same xbox.

Jan 13, 2006
United States
Full BC only makes good business sense. Win/Win for the company and consumer.

Me personally - I have a huge backlog that I have to plow through and some games that I want but haven't bought yet. It would be convenient for me to be able to use one system.

Consumer at large - There are more people that don't have a PS3 than the ones that do. Being able to play the older games on the PS4 would be another incentive to purchase one.

Sony - No company would want to close off any possible revenue stream. BC on PS4 would ensure continued PS3 purchases be it on PSN or retail sales. Especially in the early days of the PS4 when games are few and far in between after that initial launch period.

So unless Sony can't do it, I pretty sure there will be a cell included for BC on the PS4.

Last edited:

J3ff3

Elite Guru
Dec 30, 2006
its only win/win because you want it to be though.

i'm a consumer, and i don't consider it a win because i'd rather keep my ps3 and have them put the resources towards the *actual* ps4, and not some virtual ps3 because i'm too lazy to plug in my old console.

for me its convenient at best, and a complete waste of resources at worst.

just my opinion though

Oct 18, 2006
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 5993022]Yes.
I play halo 4 online with my son split screen, he is on his live account, I'm on mine . Online no one can tell we are on the same xbox.[/QUOTE]

Now that IS cool, I hope the PS4/Orbis has this as well! Why on earth did Sony not do this for the PS3?!

Jan 13, 2006
United States
[QUOTE="J3ff3, post: 5993066]its only win/win because you want it to be though.

i'm a consumer, and i don't consider it a win because i'd rather keep my ps3 and have them put the resources towards the *actual* ps4, and not some virtual ps3 because i'm too lazy to plug in my old console.

for me its convenient at best, and a complete waste of resources at worst.

just my opinion though[/QUOTE]

Not because I want it to, but because it is. That is a fact.

I already gave my personal reason for it. Just because they place the cell in doesn't mean they will take away from the PS4.

That budget is set because of market competition. Sony has to make the product at a certain level to compete. They will not far surpass the competition because of cost, complexity, etc even though they could. That wouldn't be a good business decision.

In the case of BC, it will serve to make Sony money, ergo a win situation. They are already still manufacturing cells because of PS3 so there is little sunk cost in placing it in for the PS4. All they need is motherboard acceptance.

As for you, you would rather them take away a positive addition even though it won't affect the final PS4 product?

I find that hard to believe.

Last edited:

J3ff3

Elite Guru
Dec 30, 2006
[QUOTE="Kauldron, post: 5993090]Not because I want it to, but because it is. That is a fact.

I already gave my personal reason for it. Just because they place the cell in doesn't mean they will take away from the PS4.

That budget is set because of market competition. Sony has to make the product at a certain level to compete. They will not far surpass the competition because of cost, complexity, etc even though they could. That wouldn't be a good business decision.

In the case of BC, it will serve to make Sony money, ergo a win situation. They are already still manufacturing cells because of PS3 so there is little sunk cost in placing it in for the PS4. All they need is motherboard acceptance.

As for you, you would rather them take away a positive addition even though it won't affect the final PS4 product?

I find that hard to believe.[/QUOTE]

if it was fact though you wouldn't have to give a personal reason for it.

it isn't, because it isn't the broad win for consumers that you put it forward to be. its a win for you, and others that want BC, and a loss for people that would rather the *money* spent on BC was spent elsewhere. your talk of budget and market competition doesn't change the fact that BC will cost Sony and that money could be spent elsewhere. you are talking about if it will or not. that is completely different.

Last edited:

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
[QUOTE="MonkeyClaw, post: 5993080]Now that IS cool, I hope the PS4/Orbis has this as well! Why on earth did Sony not do this for the PS3?![/QUOTE]

You can only do so much with 256MB of RAM, unfortunately. MS incorporated a lot of features of their online gaming structure by designating how much memory and resources the 360 would use in such a manner. Their trade-off to the developers is that they made "snapping in" Live functionality incredibly simple with their development environment.

Sony went into this generation giving very little resources to the developer in retrospect. They don't appear to be doing the same with PS4. As a result, functions like multiple online accounts and cross-game chat will in all likelihood be present and accounted for.

TGO

Ancient
Feb 26, 2006
purgatory
[QUOTE="J3ff3, post: 5993189]if it was fact though you wouldn't have to give a personal reason for it.

it isn't, because it isn't the broad win for consumers that you put it forward to be. its a win for you, and others that want BC, and a loss for people that would rather the *money* spent on BC was spent elsewhere. your talk of budget and market competition doesn't change the fact that BC will cost Sony and that money could be spent elsewhere. you are talking about if it will or not. that is completely different.[/QUOTE]

I don't see it costing anything
Cell is still no wimp in crunching numbers so it will benefit the PS4
By default (from rumored specs) the PS4 has the balls to out perform the 720, Cell being there for BC and addition power would not bottle neck anything
You can get better results by default, but if you choose you can use Cell for overkill, I'd imagine 1st party will have no problem with that
Plus the Cell is still in production for the PS3, so its not like extra resources are needed
And by time PS3 does go out of production Cell would be the cheapest thing in the box (kinda)

A PS4 with a 8 core + 1 PPC core & 7 spe's
Sounds interesting
Sent via Codec

Sent via Codec

Last edited:

Itachi

Forum Sage
Nov 13, 2010
Winterfell
[QUOTE="TGO, post: 5993313]I don't see it costing anything
Cell is still no wimp in crunching numbers so it will benefit the PS4
By default (from rumored specs) the PS4 has the balls to out perform the 720, Cell being there for BC and addition power would not bottle neck anything
You can get better results by default, but if you choose you can use Cell for overkill, I'd imagine 1st party will have no problem with that
Plus the Cell is still in production for the PS3, so its not like extra resources are needed
And by time PS3 does go out of production Cell would be the cheapest thing in the box (kinda)

Sent via Codec

Sent via Codec[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Cell isn't taking away the power or resources from the ps4 in any way. Quite the opposite in fact. You can use cell for OS and security like a rumour suggested, otherwise you would have had to dedicate some cores for that, and in turn this would have meant games would only use part of the CPU power provided.

Cell will now cost $30-$40 and its benefits FAR outweigh the price

Last edited:

TGO

Ancient
Feb 26, 2006
purgatory
It also reaks of Sony, people already think the PS4 seems too straight forward for a PlayStation console
Yes its powerful but its not exotic enough, theres nothing odd
Except that compute unit, which could be a additional processor or Cell
And it gives PS4 full access for its specs in games, Sony patented something which allowed switching of CPU/GPU's didn't they?

Sent via Codec

Itachi

Forum Sage
Nov 13, 2010
Winterfell
[QUOTE="TGO, post: 5993319]It also reaks of Sony, people already think the PS4 seems too straight forward for a PlayStation console
Yes its powerful but its not exotic enough, theres nothing odd
Except that compute unit, which could be a additional processor or Cell
And it gives PS4 full access for its specs in games, Sony patented something which allowed switching of CPU/GPU's didn't they?

Sent via Codec[/QUOTE]

I think it was to allow switching between different architecture GPUs. This led to some credibility to the APU + GPU reports but now I don't really know

Jan 13, 2007
sony better spend the extra money on BC or they shoot themselves in the foot.

When the ps4 comes out there would be a huge library of games alienated to users.

It would be another classic dumbass sony move, and a damn big one.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

J3ff3

Elite Guru
Dec 30, 2006
so each cell in the ps4 will be free?

no?

so it costs money then. i'd rather that money be spent elsewhere.

you're welcome to want BC. but don't say its a win/win for all consumers. because its not for a large number who just don't care and would rather the console was cheaper or had a different feature.

Last edited:

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
[QUOTE="J3ff3, post: 5993345]so each cell in the ps4 will be free?

no?

so it costs money then. i'd rather that money be spent elsewhere.

you're welcome to want BC. but don't say its a win/win for all consumers. because its not for a large number who just don't care and would rather the console was cheaper or had a different feature.[/QUOTE]

I actually agree with you on this. I do wonder if they will offer, at least during launch year, a version with BC for a premium price.

J3ff3

Elite Guru
Dec 30, 2006
[QUOTE="Lefein, post: 5993354]I actually agree with you on this. I do wonder if they will offer, at least during launch year, a version with BC for a premium price.[/QUOTE]

i didn't know we were always at odds! :)

Oct 18, 2006
[QUOTE="itachi73378, post: 5993328]I think it was to allow switching between different architecture GPUs. This led to some credibility to the APU + GPU reports but now I don't really know[/QUOTE]

Watch they used the A10 APU, carved out the integrated 7660D and in its place put the Cell BE and RSX in there!

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
[QUOTE="J3ff3, post: 5993356]i didn't know we were always at odds! :)[/QUOTE]

No, didn't mean it like that. I was a huge proponent of B/C at the onset of the current generation. As time has gone on, I realized that I hardly ever use the B/C in my original fatty at all. It probably cost Sony a pretty penny to design a motherboard and cool that Emotion Engine I never use. In hindsight, I don't see B/C as a critical function of a console, especially if the trade-off at the design phase is sacrificing more RAM or something else that could help make games run better.

Jan 13, 2007
[QUOTE="Lefein, post: 5993364]No, didn't mean it like that. I was a huge proponent of B/C at the onset of the current generation. As time has gone on, I realized that I hardly ever use the B/C in my original fatty at all. It probably cost Sony a pretty penny to design a motherboard and cool that Emotion Engine I never use. In hindsight, I don't see B/C as a critical function of a console, especially if the trade-off at the design phase is sacrificing more RAM or something else that could help make games run better.[/QUOTE]

I dont want or use it. I have not played a ps2 game since the 3 came out.

Others do though and what sony spends on putting it in they can recoup from sales from the psn backward compat games.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Oct 18, 2006
[QUOTE="chrisw26308, post: 5993372]I dont want or use it. I have not played a ps2 game since the 3 came out.

Others do though and what sony spends on putting it in they can recoup from sales from the psn backward compat games.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

The only time I have ever put a PS1/PS2 game in my PS3 was to look back on how dated the graphics were, never played any old games regularly to warranty BC in the system.

J3ff3

Elite Guru
Dec 30, 2006
[QUOTE="Lefein, post: 5993364]No, didn't mean it like that. I was a huge proponent of B/C at the onset of the current generation. As time has gone on, I realized that I hardly ever use the B/C in my original fatty at all. It probably cost Sony a pretty penny to design a motherboard and cool that Emotion Engine I never use. In hindsight, I don't see B/C as a critical function of a console, especially if the trade-off at the design phase is sacrificing more RAM or something else that could help make games run better.[/QUOTE]

heh :) i know. i was just joking.

Itachi

Forum Sage
Nov 13, 2010
Winterfell
http://www.vgleaks.com/orbis-devkits-roadmaptypes/
Currently, there are 3 types of devkits:

1) R10 boards with special BIOS, running in generic PC’s

2) “Initial 1″ — Early devkit

model number: DVKT-KS000K
SCE-provided PC equipped with R10XX board
Runs Orbis OS
Available July 2012

3) SoC Based Devkit: early version of the ORBIS hardware

Available January 2013
R10 Board (with special BIOS) assemble in a Generic PC

Requires Windows 7 64 bit edition
Recommend
Sandy Bridge (Intel) or Bulldozer (AMD)
Minimum 8 GB RAM (system memory)
650 Watt PSU
VS2010 SP1
DWM (Desktop Windows Manager) must be turned off
Application will use Windows services for everything except GPU interface
SCE will provide “Gnm”, a custom GPU interface

Quote:
Do you remember the first Durango’s pictures? This is a very early devkit based on Windows.

DVKT-KS000K (“Initial 1″)

Runs Orbis OS
CPU: Bulldozer 8-core, 1.6 Ghz
Graphics Card: R10 with special BIOS
RAM: 8 GB (system memory)
BD Drive
HDD: 2.5 ” 160 GB
Network Controller
Custom South Bridge allows access to controller prototypes

Quote:
SoC Based Devkit

Available January 2013
CPU: 8-core Jaguar
GPU: Liverpool GPU
RAM: unified 8 GB for devkit (4 GB for the retail console)
Subsystem: HDD, Network Controller, BD Drive, Bluetooth Controller, WLAN and HDMI (up to 1980×[email protected])
Analog Outputs: Audio, Composite Video
Connection to Host: USB 3.0 (targeting over 200 MB/s),
ORBIS Dualshock
Dual Camera

The last devkit is the closer one to the retail console. Expect a machine with these specs or similar to these ones. Obviously, Sony could introduce changes in this features, but don’t expect deep mods.

Last edited: