Anyone getting Playstation VR?

Sir_Scud

Super Elite
Dec 30, 2007
So with a lot more information revealed, just curious who may have pre-ordered when they could or those looking to try and pick on up on launch.

I ended up pre-ordering it and am pretty hyped for it.

Sir_Scud

Super Elite
Dec 30, 2007
From what I have seen, the HTC Vive is the best out of all of them by pure specs. People who had tried them all tend to say the PSVR is the most comfortable of the headsets. Price wise, you are looking at $800 for Vive, I believe $600 for Oculus and either $400 or $500 (bundle) for PSVR. The headset of the Vive is very nice and the controllers it comes with are pretty sweet. They are similar to the PS Move wands. Both the Oculus and Vive will support Xbox One controllers for playing on PC.

Some of the early released VR stuff can also be played on a mid range PC, but once more intensive games come out the price of entry for VR would probably put the average consumer off.

As for PSVR, it won't be officially supported for PC. Not to say others won't find ways, but for PC you would need Oculus or Vive.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
Pre-ordered a year ago. Stoked about the games on the plate.. a little luke warm on the specs of the headset.

Hoping for some super sampling enabled by an unannounced, beafed up PS Neo.

Brought to you from a mobile app for forums and messageboards

ArnoldRimmer

Superior Member
May 23, 2015
On Red Dwarf....
Mines pre-ordered too. Most hyped for the driving games as I feel the technology really lends itself to this. Combined with my steering wheel / pedals I'm hoping for a really immersive experience.

Sir_Scud

Super Elite
Dec 30, 2007
Yeah driving games are going to be really awesome I think. VR will also help flying games be more immersive. War Thunder will support PSVR at launch, so for those looking for a good airplane fighting game are in luck.

Here's a link to give an idea of what it would be like with VR, but of course nobody can really understand what it is like to be playing in VR unless you have the headset on.

[video=youtube;_JhZ5EskmE4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JhZ5EskmE4[/video]

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="Survival Horror, post: 6516628]No and i dont care to pre order or buy one. I dont want it even if someone gives it for free.[/QUOTE]
You like big-screens Survival? Then you'll love VR. Might be a decades time off thought, for people finicky about resolution.

Sir_Scud

Super Elite
Dec 30, 2007
It is interesting to see what people might think of it here in the early days of VR gaming. It's the kind of thing I feel the majority may be turned off by for awhile. Going to be interesting this year.

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
[FONT=&quot]I'll wait to see if I want to buy it[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Honestly, if I would go for any VR devices, there's a bigger chance I'll get the HTC Vive for PC rather than PS VR.. Although I'm starting to play a little more on my PS4 compared to my PC.
It'd depend on the games that're out and the capabilities of the device.

bobtheduck

Elite Guru
Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
It's downright amazing that I see more excitement for this thing on Kotaku and other places than I do on a supposedly Playstation centric forum. Did no one here demo it at Best Buy / Gamestop? I didn't because I was in Japan, and I wasn't close enough to Osaka or Tokyo to do the Yodobashi Camera demos either, but preorders sold out in the US and in Japan, and I'm guessing they sold out in Europe too, so this is just the odd... crowd out, I guess.

"Wouldn't want it if it was free"

How about if someone gives one to you, you just send it my way. I'll pay for shipping and everything. VR is what I have been waiting for since I was, like, 7 years old and first heard of the concept (long before Virtual Boy). PSVR is the perfect entrypoint. Also, as many, MANY people have said Vive is better than PSVR, but not $400 better (or, rather, not $1000 better if you don't have a Vive ready PC, which only something like 14 million worldwide do, vs 40 million PS4s in the wild)

Last edited:

ArnoldRimmer

Superior Member
May 23, 2015
On Red Dwarf....
We're a reserved lot on here @bobtheduck :D

I think a lot of people are cynical about PSVR as Sony doesn't exactly have a great track record with peripherals and their support; I must admit even I think incorporating the move sticks is a cynical attempt to sell old controllers which didn't do so well the first time around. That being said, I'm hyped for the whole VR thing, my only previous experience was with some arcade flight sim thing back in the early 90's. that seemed awesome at the time and I'm hoping (with proper support) PS VR could really nail it this time

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
@bobtheduck: This hasn't been a ps centric forum for quite some time, but this is neither the time or place for that discussion.

There's a lot of cynicism about PS peripherals here, but I choose to look at PSVR as a more of an gaming platform or a stand alone item like a TV or monitor. If you separate the accessories and peripherals, from the stand alone Sony products, they actually have a good track record.

My biggest argument is that they aren't selling VR the same way a company would sell 3D. A means to sell more TV's..

If people were more willing to try before the spew, we wouldn't be discussing this.

Then there are those that DO sell VR to sell more products - I'm looking at Samsung and their awful mobile VR headsets.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6516834] I'm looking at Samsung and their awful mobile VR headsets.[/QUOTE]

I love my Gear VR...

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6516836]I love my Gear VR...[/QUOTE]
I'm sure you do, but it's useless for those that do not have a inner pupil distance of 70mm. They're targeting a small median of the user market.

bobtheduck

Elite Guru
Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
Yeah, PSVR isn't a peripheral, and neither are Vive, Rift, or OSVR for that matter. VR is a new MEDIUM (well, re-emerging medium anyhow)

Also, I haven't played PSVR but I own a VR box and I played the DK2. I know VR is special. It's not the same as 3d TV. It's not just an accessory. It's also essentially in its infancy, despite having VR in some form for over 20 years. Virtual Boy was embryonic and Mall VR setups were fetal. It will only get better with time.

Last edited:

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="bobtheduck, post: 6516868]Yeah, PSVR isn't a peripheral, and neither are Vive, Rift, or OSVR for that matter. VR is a new MEDIUM (well, re-emerging medium anyhow)

Also, I haven't played PSVR but I own a VR box and I played the DK2. I know VR is special. It's not the same as 3d TV. It's not just an accessory. It's also essentially in its infancy, despite having VR in some form for over 20 years. Virtual Boy was embryonic and Mall VR setups were fetal. It will only get better with time.[/QUOTE]

Going by that analogy, the Virtual Boy was a miscarriage that ended up scarring the industry for decades to come.

skyballin

Superior Member
Dec 27, 2007
cashcrate.com
I preordered through GameStop a couple months ago. And then I finally got a chance to try a demo a couple weeks ago at GameStop. I was pleased, so I'll be keeping the preorder.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
@skyballin Nice! What does you get to demo?

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6516877]Going by that analogy, the Virtual Boy was a miscarriage that ended up scarring the industry for decades to come.

Brought to you from a mobile app for forums and messageboards[/QUOTE]

I think I am one of very few that really had fun with the Virtual Boy. Wario Land and Mario Tennis were so much fun.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6517064]I think I am one of very few that really had fun with the Virtual Boy. Wario Land and Mario Tennis were so much fun.[/QUOTE]
It was a toy though, and it will forever be viewed as a plaything.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6517066]It was a toy though, and it will forever be viewed as a plaything.

Is was no different than any other video game system. And the $180 price tag it had, it was hardly considered a "toy"

When I got mine on launch day, I treated it like an amazing piece of futuristic equipment.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
But do still pick it up every few years and give it a spin, or show it off to all your friends?

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6517069]But do still pick it up every few years and give it a spin, or show it off to all your friends?

I play it every few months. My friends will usually ask to play it if they haven't in a while. We are all in our 30's and this is nostalgic for us. I also play my SNES, N64, and Game Boy a few times a month. I have never considered any of my game consoles to be "toys".

I actually just picked up an EverDrive 64 which is amazing. The entire 64 library in one cartridge played on an actual console.

Last edited:

skyballin

Superior Member
Dec 27, 2007
cashcrate.com
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6517060]@skyballin Nice! What does you get to demo?

I think it was something from ps worlds (is that what it's called?). It was the shark thing.

[QUOTE="ArnoldRimmer, post: 6517062]I wouldn't mind trying that 'deep' shark cage one, although completely passive it looks like a good showcase[/QUOTE]
^^ It was this. I was in a cage in a cave and you basically stand there while 2 sharks tear the cage apart. It would have been nice to play an actual game, but this was nice though. It was immersive enough to give me confidence in ps vr.