Anyone getting Playstation VR?

bobtheduck

Elite Guru
Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6517064]I think I am one of very few that really had fun with the Virtual Boy. Wario Land and Mario Tennis were so much fun.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I did too. It ended up lost at my old house and I stopped playing because I only had 2 games before the system and games disappeared into the void, but it wasn't THAT bad. My mom even liked it (she was always a mid-casual gamer... I mean, she bought PONG way back when Pong was a system you could buy a la carte) so that tells you something... She didn't like the strain it put on her neck, though.

Virtual Boy WAS a miscarriage, though. It was poorly planned, not given enough time, and doomed to failure for some very basic reasons. Hell, had they even given it a different color than red (let's say Green or orange) it wouldn't have been so bad. The worst thing was the complete lack of an official head mounting solution. That tripod was balls. I just took it off the tripod and let it rest on my nose. I have seen some homemade head mounting solutions, and those would have made the experience a LOT better. Then there's the dual digital thing. I think that was before Sony's Dual joystick / dual analogues, so I guess dual analogue didn't exist yet, but they had to have been developing the N64 by that point, so they COULD have had a single analogue, single d-pad solution and that would have been much better if they wanted 3d games of any kind.

Virtual Boy one one of Nintendo's big sins, to be honest, and... it wouldn't have been if they had just given it another year of development time. They could have made a cool system with a novel feature, WAY before the DS. If it had been properly headmounted, it could have been a portable successor, and if it had been a different color (or, even just black and white monochrome) it could have been a decent successor to the gameboy. It would not have been VR, not really, but it wouldn't have been met with such hostility and left such a bitter taste in so many's mouths.

Last edited:

bobtheduck

Elite Guru
Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6521870]No because I wear glasses and have an eye condition that means I cannot see 3D.[/QUOTE]

You can wear PSVR with glasses, and the experience comes from being able to look around, with 3d as a secondary.

5 days, 20 hours, 37 minutes, 30 seconds left... Can't wait!

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
Still got my pre-order. Practically sitting perched on the fence though, contemplating the soundness of this purchase. My 'fight or flight'-instincts are working double time.

bobtheduck

Elite Guru
Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6521924]Still got my pre-order. Practically sitting perched on the fence though, contemplating the soundness of this purchase. My 'fight or flight'-instincts are working double time.[/QUOTE]

Not sure about Europe, but in the US, new electronics hardware purchases can generally be returned within 30 days. It's just software that can't be easily returned.

TOM2x

Dedicated Member
Apr 27, 2007
Actually, the VR headset doesn't do 3D at all. Also, it easily fits over glasses too. SO you could use it! Try a store demo and see for yourself.

Andy

Apprentice
May 25, 2014
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6516834]@bobtheduck: This hasn't been a ps centric forum for quite some time, but this is neither the time or place for that discussion.

[/QUOTE]

I don't want to drag things OT, but that's an interesting comment. PSU is not a PS-centric forum? Has it become more multiplatform, "watered down" so to speak? I ask because I've been looking for a robust PS-centric forum, but PSU seems rather anemic in that regard. I've noticed the lack of discussion/enthusiasm about some fairly big PS-related topics (e.g., Pro, PSVR). Is it declining membership, old members who already know what everyone thinks so don't feel the need to rehash things, a shift in focus?

p.s. If this is the wrong place for the discussion, just PM me.

Last edited:

bobtheduck

Elite Guru
Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
I think discussion forums are mostly dying out. All that's left are "help" forums you find while doing Google searches for help topics where everyone on there gets angry at the people asking for help and tells them to use Google.

ON topic...

I was at Bic Camera today, and ran Google translate on their PSVR sign... I REALLY hope my friend got this all right. He said he won the lottery already (the lottery to be one of the 24 / 48 people who can buy a PSVR) but they said that they're doing SOMETHING with the lottery at 9:00 am, and we won't show up to the store until 11... Which is in the time frame for buying it, but I'm not sure if you have to get your ticket checked in the 9-10 bracket.

EDIT:He said he was absolutely sure, and he double checked (his wife is Japanese, so the language wasn't going to be an issue). So... All things considered, I should have my PSVR in 2 days, 15 hours, 47 minutes or so.

EDIT 2: Been watching reviews. First 2 (Kotaku and Giant Bomb) were rather negative, and it freaked me out (though I think Giant Bomb's problems were their own fault more than the PSVR). But after that, every review has been either glowing or relatively positive (even Giz, funny enough). The tracking is inferior to Vive, but I knew that already, and I've watched a number of streams with almost perfect tracking as long as you don't turn around. Jim Sterling even said that you can still do things if you're completely turned around, but tracking falls apart. It can track your head perfectly, just not the moves / DS4.

Last edited:

ArnoldRimmer

Superior Member
May 23, 2015
On Red Dwarf....
I think the tech will be awesome. Pre-ordered driveclub vr too thanks to the nice bonus offered to season pass holders, VR plus force feedback steering wheel? Drive game nirvana! I'll report back when I've tried it soon!

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="ArnoldRimmer, post: 6522077]I think the tech will be awesome. Pre-ordered driveclub vr too thanks to the nice bonus offered to season pass holders, VR plus force feedback steering wheel? Drive game nirvana! I'll report back when I've tried it soon![/QUOTE]

Is the vr version compatible with non vr? Apart from Doom Driveclub is about all I play regularly.

Stoke me a clipper!

Last edited:

ArnoldRimmer

Superior Member
May 23, 2015
On Red Dwarf....
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6522079]Is the vr version compatible with non vr? Apart from Doom Driveclub is about all Iplay regularly.[/QUOTE]
Honestly not sure, I think it's a completely separate game. Some of the flashier graphical effects are turned down to accommodate VR (I heard there's no weather effects for example) but to counter that there are new tracks

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="rich2086, post: 6522091]Nope I'm getting the rift instead[/QUOTE]
Why would you get the Rift? The way I see it, you either go main stream, or you go bleeding edge.

My priority 1440p Google Daydream < PSVR (and distantly, because I'm not putting thousands of dollars into this cycle of tech) < Vive

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
I really do not see the appeal of attatching something to my head that costs a monkey to simply play a video game in a gimmicky way, I am old enough to remember VR the first time around (as are many of us) and uit still seems very much like a gimmick as was 3D gaming and motion controls which are trying to make a comeback with this.

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
I hope all the PSVR, Oculus, and Vive owners are smart and show it off to their friends and family so all these silly comparisons to '90s VR and 3dTV can mostly disappear except for those with the strongest of sour grapes.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6522134]I really do not see the appeal of attatching something to my head that costs a monkey to simply play a video game in a gimmicky way, I am old enough to remember VR the first time around (as are many of us) and uit still seems very much like a gimmick as was 3D gaming and motion controls which are trying to make a comeback with this.[/QUOTE]

This is absolutely nothing like a 3D TV. The VR experience is something amazing.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="bobtheduck, post: 6522149]I hope all the PSVR, Oculus, and Vive owners are smart and show it off to their friends and family so all these silly comparisons to '90s VR and 3dTV can mostly disappear except for those with the strongest of sour grapes.[/QUOTE]
No sour grapes. I could buy one if I wanted to.

[video=youtube;CdQYBgQYRRk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdQYBgQYRRk[/video]

VR is just+mlook on your head, its not amazing.

Last edited:

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="bobtheduck, post: 6522149]I hope all the PSVR, Oculus, and Vive owners are smart and show it off to their friends and family so all these silly comparisons to '90s VR and 3dTV can mostly disappear except for those with the strongest of sour grapes.[/QUOTE]
Absolutely. But PSVR owners really have to go out of their way to demo these. Not as easy as having an extra pair of glasses lying around.

I will definitely use the headset as an opportunity to enlighten friends.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6522152]VR is just+mlook on your head, its not amazing.[/QUOTE]

Have you even tried it? VR is quite amazing. Nothing else can make you feel like you are in the game. What else can put you in a different world and create actual fear and excitement?

There are some games that are truly amazing in VR. Who cares what the hell the thing looks like on your head? It is about what it does, and what it does is no gimmick to me.

rich2086

Superior Member
Apr 17, 2008
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6522124]Why would you get the Rift? The way I see it, you either go main stream, or you go bleeding edge.

My priority 1440p Google Daydream < PSVR (and distantly, because I'm not putting thousands of dollars into this cycle of tech) < Vive[/QUOTE]
I want it for racing sims on the pc and can't wait for ps vr to be pc compatible and the vive would be wasted on what I want

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="ArnoldRimmer, post: 6522080]Honestly not sure, I think it's a completely separate game. Some of the flashier graphical effects are turned down to accommodate VR (I heard there's no weather effects for example) but to counter that there are new tracks[/QUOTE]
It is most likely a completely separate game; I've read that PS VR graphics are closer to PS3 era games than PS4, but that doesn't bother me. I think the best experiences will instead make great use of atmosphere and sound design to enhance spatial awareness in a VR world.

Last edited:

Bhindi_Bhajji

Superior Member
Jun 5, 2006
Pre-ordered, can't wait to give it a try.

I had a Rift DK2 for a while, I enjoyed it loads, but it often left me feeling a little strange and I'm not one to get motion sickness. I'm hoping that the higher refresh rate of the PSVR will stop or at least minimize that effect.

I have a PS4 Pro pre-ordered too, it will be interesting to see how much better the VR is on that.

For me it'll be the flying and driving games that stand out, also can't wait to try Resident Evil 7.

ArnoldRimmer

Superior Member
May 23, 2015
On Red Dwarf....
Well, my PS VR is sitting in the boot of my car. Driveclub VR downloaded onto the PS4 hard drive ready to go. Unfortunately I've got to finish work before having a go! First impressions to follow. ............

C.Birch

Superior Member
Jun 2, 2006
www.yourpshome.net
Mines on a Amazon UK van driving around somewhere waiting to get to me, got some games downloaded ready and my Thrustmaster T300 set up ready for Drive Club VR. Will be my first time trying VR and looking forward to trying a new way to play games.

Andy

Apprentice
May 25, 2014
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6522134]I really do not see the appeal of attatching something to my head that costs a monkey to simply play a video game in a gimmicky way [/QUOTE]

That is an odd form of currency.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Got mine all hooked up and played a few games. Took me a bit to plug everything in nice and neatly so that you can not see any of the main cords. Of course there is the monster cord going from the VR headset to the small box hooked up to the PS4. Here are my favorite games so far. I have not played many yet.

1. Until Dawn VR (This one is so cool with the move controllers)
2. Playstation Worlds VR (The ocean game is amazing. I love how you can physically move around and peak over the railings and such. The camera tracks your movements quite well.)

Tomb Raider VR was not impressive. It didn't look good and bored me actually. I will not try Driveclub as I know it will make me want to puke.

The headset itself is comfortable, but the cable hanging off of it is very annoying. The headset they give you has a crazy short cord too. At least it is a stereo headset this time...

There are some games that make you think VR is crap. But then you find some that just blow your mind. Those who have the VR unit, be sure you try out all the demos to get the real taste of VR. That ocean demo is pretty damn cool!

Last edited:

Sir_Scud

Super Elite
Dec 30, 2007
Getting mine tomorrow. Going to get some good time to try out the demos and get an idea of what games I want to actually buy. I feel like I may end up spending a decent amount on some of the titles. Thumper apparently is pretty awesome and heard good things about Rigs.