Anyone remember going outside of the map in older games?

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Specifically, which older games do you remember going outside of the map? And do you remember if you did any of them unintentionally or not?

One example that always comes to mind is in the game Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense where you can travel outside of the Meteor Crater map. If I remember correctly, the area outside is completely flat and will actually launch the vehicle you're driving back into the map if you continue driving farther away.

Another example is the more well-known "Blue Hell" glitches from Grand Theft Auto III. One method I liked doing was where you exited one of doors in the first car of the subway train under the airport and you end up on top of the ceiling but underneath the rest of the map. It was cool because it was so weird. For some reason, the "trails" effect seemed to lag in this area.

Speaking of the GTA games, for GTA: San Andreas, I once looked up how to access the Hidden Interiors/Heavens map and remember coming across a small, isolated section of downtown Los Santos with some NPCs. There were several areas of this place where it was completely empty except for one or two NPCs walking around. And if you really knew what you were doing, you could reach the small section of Liberty City seen in one of the game's mission cutscenes.

I'm guessing this kind of thing isn't really common in video games anymore. The last game I remember playing where you could go outside of the map was inFAMOUS; trying to get to the mainland outside of the city by taking the only bridge out which, again, was cool because it was so weird.

Last edited:

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
I honestly never bothered trying this, except for in CoD 4 - but not for cheating, just for fun with friends really. I didn't even think those 'out of the map' glitches were that impressive lol

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I think they're more impressive when you can continue walking or driving out of bounds instead of just falling through. It makes the game feel larger.

Kwes

Unbound Mercenary
Mar 30, 2009
In one mission in Hall 3 when in new mubasa, when starting the level after crashing the pelican. If you use some tricky grenade jumps, you can get on top of the level and it's plays hell with the AI that don't expect you to be above them out of the level haha

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
I did this from time to time back in the day, mostly on PC games. I believe it's generally known as "clipping/no clipping". I had fun doing it on Doom, Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, etc. I used to be really into learning move sets or cheat codes for certain games. These days I'm just happy with normal game play.

H

Hedon

I think they're more impressive when you can continue walking or driving out of bounds instead of just falling through. It makes the game feel larger.
I found a way to do it in GT Sport. If you go fast enough through certain barriers and pit walls, you can drive in more areas. And it's not falling under the map, it's still fully modelled. Pretty cool.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
This reminds me of when The Division first released. I even made a video of WTF moments. One part is when I fell under the map.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I found a way to do it in GT Sport. If you go fast enough through certain barriers and pit walls, you can drive in more areas. And it's not falling under the map, it's still fully modelled. Pretty cool.
That is cool. I would guess they're fully modeled because you can see them during race replays for one of the camera angles.

H

Hedon

That is cool. I would guess they're fully modeled because you can see them during race replays for one of the camera angles.
Probably. I just figured maybe they would be drawn in or "fake", but the assets are there. It's pretty sweet. They are not glitches that would help you though for cheating, because once you are outside, not much you can do besides drive around, because I never found a way to get back in. That was about an hour of fun dinking around, but no need anymore. Playing the game as designed is more fun :)