Apple tipped to buy Sony, EA

Teraspark

Mostly Indifferent
Nov 4, 2009
Staffordshire
The US stock market is alive with rumours that Apple is about to launch an unprecedented acquisition - with Sony and EA just two of gaming's mentioned targets.

Apple has $51 billion cash to spend - and, last week, Steve Jobs hinted at where that might go.

"We strongly believe that one or more very strategic opportunities may come along, that we can take, that we're in a unique position to take advantage of because of our strong cash position," he told investors.

"So I think that we would like to continue to keep our powder dry because we do feel that there are one or more strategic opportunities in the future."

Could that "strategic opportunity" include the purchase of a games company?

Some on Wall Street obviously think so.

Kaufman Brothers have tipped EA, Netflix and even Facebook as targets.

But it today emerged that financial wires have also nodded to Adobe, Disney and - wait for it - Sony.

Leading financial magazine Barron's is reportedly suggesting that Apple faces "speculation that it could acquire Adobe Systems, Sony, or even Walt Disney".

Just imagine. It sounds crazy.

But $51 billion and no debt is an enviable position. Something massive could be a'brewing. Stay tuned.
SOURCE

WHAT?! :shock:

Make of it what you will guys.

Tutankhamun

Ultimate Veteran
Aug 2, 2006
twitter.com
No Apple won't buy Sony. Apple only buy companies that either have tech they can't/don't have time to develop in-house and they pretty much only buy small companies. It is true that Steve Jobs was a huge admirer of Akio Morita but I don't think he has any interest in buying Sony. Apple buying a company that also is not making any money is highly unlikely.

As for Apple buying FaceBook that wont happen since MS owns a lot of shares in FB, as for Disney why bother when Jobs is the majority shareholder in Disney?

Apple buying Adobe is a possibility but I think that is unlikely too.

boogey

Elite Member
Oct 10, 2006
That would be crazy to me. If it does happen. Hopefully the PS3/PS4 and the exclusives stay around.

They would just make Sony better with all that money???

Teraspark

Mostly Indifferent
Nov 4, 2009
Staffordshire
[QUOTE="Svetlana, post: 5248532]*Checks calendar to reaffirm that it isn't April 1st*[/QUOTE]

I even double checked the date. :lol:

I'd thought you guys might wanna know what the analysts are thinking and Sony was bought up in their speculations. They might even buy anything we know of but I hoping to get your predictions on what would happen if, hypothetically, Apple bought Sony.

Tutankhamun

Ultimate Veteran
Aug 2, 2006
twitter.com
[QUOTE="boogey, post: 5248534]That would be crazy to me. If it does happen. Hopefully the PS3/PS4 and the exclusives stay around.

They would just make Sony better with all that money???[/QUOTE]

IF Apple were to acquire Sony they would run it in-house at Cupertino like they run the rest of their business so first and foremost expect like half of Sony's products to be canned since they likely isn't good enough for Jobs. As for the Playstation brand I really don't see how Apple could make it ”Apple” it would have to be more elegant than it is today, don't think Jobs could handle dealing with publishers and retail chains so they would probably buy all the studios they want and sell the games at Apple Stores. Likely PS technology would become part of the Apple TV.

But I know Apple won't ever buy Sony.

[QUOTE="Teraspark, post: 5248541]I even double checked the date. :lol:

I'd thought you guys might wanna know what the analysts are thinking and Sony was bought up in their speculations. They might even buy anything we know of but I hoping to get your predictions on what would happen if, hypothetically, Apple bought Sony.[/QUOTE]

I follow Apple very closely and I can tell you 9 out of 10 analysts are dead wrong about everything Apple, they simply don't get them.

Teraspark

Mostly Indifferent
Nov 4, 2009
Staffordshire
I thought this would be the reaction. I, myself, believe that Apple ain't interested in Sony but I do wonder how it might affect the balance of things in the industry.

Tutankhamun

Ultimate Veteran
Aug 2, 2006
twitter.com
[QUOTE="Teraspark, post: 5248554]I thought this would be the reaction. I, myself, believe that Apple ain't interested in Sony but I do wonder how it might affect the balance of things in the industry.[/QUOTE]

Not by much, the Playstation of today would be dead Apple would likely use the studios Sony owns to make games for future Apple TV's. If anything I guess it would make a lot of sense for the regular gamer but the hardcore Sony fans would die.

Teraspark

Mostly Indifferent
Nov 4, 2009
Staffordshire
[QUOTE="Tutankhamun, post: 5248560]Not by much, the Playstation of today would be dead Apple would likely use the studios Sony owns to make games for future Apple TV's. If anything I guess it would make a lot of sense for the regular gamer but the hardcore Sony fans would die.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't know what to make of it to be honest. I might just jump ship to the 360 (or whatever) and wait to see if Apple buggers it up or not.

Fedos

Master Guru
Feb 21, 2005
[QUOTE="Teraspark, post: 5248541]I even double checked the date. :lol:

I'd thought you guys might wanna know what the analysts are thinking and Sony was bought up in their speculations. They might even buy anything we know of but I hoping to get your predictions on what would happen if, hypothetically, Apple bought Sony.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="Svetlana, post: 5248532]*Checks calendar to reaffirm that it isn't April 1st*[/QUOTE]

lol I had the same reaction. In all honesty, I can't see this happening. If Apple wants to buy Sony to launch a bid into the console market, I think they can do so on their own without the need to go to such an extreme as to buy Sony. Maybe buying a third party publisher would be the correct way for them to go forward to help beef up their first party studios. I can't see that publisher being EA though, maybe Ubi Soft.

Tutankhamun

Ultimate Veteran
Aug 2, 2006
twitter.com
[QUOTE="Teraspark, post: 5248567]I wouldn't know what to make of it to be honest. I might just jump ship to the 360 (or whatever) and wait to see if Apple buggers it up or not.[/QUOTE]

I think of it this way, look at Apple products just look at how they look. Then look at Sony products, how many of them (including the PS3) do you think Steve Jobs think looks good? Probably not a single one, why buy a company where they would have to kill pretty much everything they do. There's no patents that Sony has that Apple needs, there's no personal at Sony that they could use etc.

Rand al Thor

Superior Member
Sep 7, 2007
[QUOTE="Tutankhamun, post: 5248571]I think of it this way, look at Apple products just look at how they look. Then look at Sony products, how many of them (including the PS3) do you think Steve Jobs think looks good? Probably not a single one, why buy a company where they would have to kill pretty much everything they do. There's no patents that Sony has that Apple needs, there's no personal at Sony that they could use etc.[/QUOTE]

please. You make it sound as if Sony's products are some hideous looking third world products. Infact many Apple computers took inspiration from's sony vaio line

Teraspark

Mostly Indifferent
Nov 4, 2009
Staffordshire
[QUOTE="Rand al Thor, post: 5248578]please. You make it sound as if Sony's products are some hideous looking third world products. Infact many Apple computers took inspiration from's sony vaio line[/QUOTE]

To be fair, Apple are up their own arse when it comes to asthetics.

Tutankhamun

Ultimate Veteran
Aug 2, 2006
twitter.com
[QUOTE="Rand al Thor, post: 5248578]please. You make it sound as if Sony's products are some hideous looking third world products. Infact many Apple computers took inspiration from's sony vaio line[/QUOTE]

While Sony don't make hideous products they are no where near the level of what Jobs wants.

As for the Vaio line I guess that's the first thing they'd kill.

Last edited:

Tutankhamun

Ultimate Veteran
Aug 2, 2006
twitter.com
[QUOTE="Bostonmess, post: 5248593]Do not want. I hate Apple.[/QUOTE]

Why? Apple makes some pretty good products. As an Apple fan I don't want them to buy Sony because Sony is so big and I don't think it could work under Apple's startup mentality.

TGO

Ancient
Feb 26, 2006
purgatory
Umm the Japanese government law thing, it stops companies outside Japan buying large Japanese companies, it why MS hasn't done it, and even for MS its out of there reach, yeah they got the money but it's too much of a investment.
Disney seems likely because ofpixar

Yuuichi

Miqo'te Bard
Oct 25, 2009
Yeh if they did it would be bad. PS would be dead. Renamed to iGame, or some other crappy name. Games would be download only and still would jump another $10. hell they would prob charge a fee for playing online to. The psp would have a new model every year as TRF said. The iGame would be the same.

Tutankhamun

Ultimate Veteran
Aug 2, 2006
twitter.com
[QUOTE="TGO, post: 5248607]Umm the Japanese government law thing, it stops companies outside Japan buying large Japanese companies, it why MS hasn't done it, and even for MS its out of there reach, yeah they got the money but it's too much of a investment.
Disney seems likely because ofpixar[/QUOTE]

Disney owns Pixar and Jobs owned Pixar, making him the largest shareholder in Disney and a very rich man! Pixar helped Apple animate some of the OS X installations disks.

If anyone of that list its Adobe.

[QUOTE="Yuuichi, post: 5248609]Yeh if they did it would be bad. PS would be dead. Renamed to iGame, or some other crappy name. Games would be download only and still would jump another $10. hell they would prob charge a fee for playing online to. The psp would have a new model every year as TRF said. The iGame would be the same.[/QUOTE]

They'd kill the PSP since its competing with the iPod Touch, Apple never has two products that competes with each other. And I doubt they'd charge to play online since they don't on iOS.

Jun 22, 2007
[QUOTE="Tutankhamun, post: 5248598]Why? Apple makes some pretty good products. As an Apple fan I don't want them to buy Sony because Sony is so big and I don't think it could work under Apple's startup mentality.[/QUOTE]

Hey, ManU are a pretty good football team but I hate them too. ;)

It's to do with iTunes more than owt. Years ago I checked it out and thought it was crap. Too much arsing about just to put stuff on the gfs Nano. Recently that Steve Jobs dude has reinforced my belief too.

I know every company is to some extent egocentric but Apple come across more so.

They need Adobe so they can put Flash on their pad. Or did they sort that?

Last edited:

Tutankhamun

Ultimate Veteran
Aug 2, 2006
twitter.com
[QUOTE="Bostonmess, post: 5248622]Hey, ManU are a pretty good football team but I hate them too. ;)

It's to do with iTunes more than owt. Years ago I checked it out and thought it was crap. Too much arsing about just to put stuff on the gfs Nano. Recently that Steve Jobs dude has reinforced my belief too.

I know every company is to some extent egocentric but Apple come across more so.

They need Adobe so they can put Flash on their pad. Or did they sort that.[/QUOTE]

Hehe, I don't see Apple as egocentric they just want to control the experience for their users from start to finish. Jobs is a perfectionist and it shows at Apple. If you don't like the minimalist style Apple isn't for you.

As for Flash, if they buy Adobe that would be the first thing they'd kill ;) Adobe would be happy to make Flash available for iOS, Apple just hates it with good reason.