Are there any advantage using paid for Internet security software over free one's?

MacP

Veteran
Jun 27, 2008
Over the year's I've noticed there are lot's of free Anti Virus/Malware software which bring's me to ask this question. Is there any point still buying paid for security suites like Mcafee or Norton? Or are the free option's just as adequate?

Opinion's please!

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
McAfee and Norton are pure doodoo. I'd recommend getting BitDefender or Kaspersky ... and yes they have many advantages over free software, like ransomware protection, which is a huge problem right now. If you don't want to pay, BitDefender (free version) and Avira are really great free alternatives, just with less options.

If you want to purchase an anti-virus suite, I'd highly recommend getting it from kinguin.net ... I just bought a year for about 8 bucks, as opposed to the normal 60 bucks. https://www.kinguin.net/

They always have deals on software and games. I got Windows 10 Pro for 26 bucks on there as well. It's a great site. :)

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
Back in my PC years, I always checked the reviews of free antivirus and chose one that suited it me. Coupled with some other free malware tool and common sense I never had a problem.
I was regularly pushing my luck though. Are you a user that does not lurk in shadowy websites, does not test lots of small programs found here and there, and isn't click-happy you could easily get away with the built in protection of Windows 10 or whatever the latest version is.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Yes, but you don't have to be doing anything shady to be a victim of things like ransomware, which seems to the prime mode of attack these days and is always evolving.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
They often pretend to be antivirus warnings.

Used Eset Nod32 for over a decade. It is a simple program with the default settings being plenty for most users, but you can configure it to be super cautious with lots of complicated advanced options.
I often add dodgy websites and adverts to the URL blocker built in e.g "The Brit/Aussie method"

Norton has come along way since 10 years ago when it was laughed at.

P.S

Most of these PAid for Software have a free trial for a month, so give each on a try and see how you get on. You may be able to go a full year using just various free trials.

I tried KAspersky a year or so ago because I heard good things and fancied a change but I couldn't get on with it, it installed browser addons and the GUI was awful.

Last edited: