Are TV Shows taking over Movies in terms of popularity?

Bitbydeath

Power Member
Sep 10, 2005
I know they already have for me, but it looks like more movies are being made into TV shows all the time.
I think it started way back in the 90's with the popularity of Sopranos and has since skyrocketed with the likes of Walking Dead, Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones etc.

Given the length per season you just can't do that with a movie.

TV has come a long way since the 90's and I find myself watching less movies more than ever today due to rather watching a TV show which returns greater character investment.

What say you PSU?

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
I agree. I think TV Shows have the ability to grip you more as often it's over 10+ hours vs 90-120minutes.

TV quality is now at a point where even movie stars are moving over to them as the story can be told much better and not feel rushed.

In saying that there's something's just better suited to the pacing of your traditional film. I loved Interstellar, for example. Brilliant film but I don't think it would make a great series.

TapaTalking from my Mind.

podsaurus

El Presidente
Jul 2, 2008
in a box
I think TV is much more popular now than ever before but I watch less of it than I ever have. There are only a few series of shows I watch on a regular basis. Mostly I just don't have the time to be invested in TV series. That's the beauty of movies. I can enjoy an engaging story in about two hours while still getting that sense of satisfaction.

Sent from 2000ft under the crust

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
TV shows are going up in quality whereas movies are offering rehashes. Television shows exist in a much more competitive environment. They have to maintain the viewer's interest the entire length of the show otherwise people will quit watching halfway through. Streaming services like Amazon Prime and Netflix make it possible (or at least more convenient) to binge-watch these shows as if they were long movies. It's really no surprise people are growing so fond of high-quality shows such as Breaking Bad or The Walking Dead. There's no way a 2-hour film could capture the essence and impact of those shows.

BBK makes a good point though. Some things do work better in that smaller package. Higher visual quality, higher budget, a more intelligent writer (too expensive for a show broadcast), better actors, etc can definitely pay off with the right director. Sometimes less is more.

Vichael

Superior Member
Feb 27, 2012
I definitely prefer TV shows to movies. Nothing better than finding a great show and binge-watching the hell out of it.