Ask a question forum?

Rebon

Master Poster
Dec 8, 2003
www.psu.com
What do you guys think about an "Ask a question" forum, where new memebrs with less than 25 posts, and everyone else, can ask any questions they need to know about their PS3s?

New members are complaining that they want to register and ask a question, but need to post 25 replys first. With this, we would get less spam, but they would also be allowed to find out what they need to know.

Thoughts please! =)

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
I personally completely agree! People usually come to a forum at a time when they need to post or ask something and that also helps make them an active member. I agree with your decisions to make some forums restricted, but an Ask a question forum would be a good addition. Perhaps the posts are moderated and so not posted until approved?

Just my 0.02c

A

AJJets107

Yes, this would make life so much easier. I have seen so many people spamming just to get to 25 posts.

Cyrann

Master Guru
Oct 2, 2006
[QUOTE="Rebon, post: 0]What do you guys think about an "Ask a question" forum, where new memebrs with less than 25 posts, and everyone else, can ask any questions they need to know about their PS3s?

New members are complaining that they want to register and ask a question, but need to post 25 replys first. With this, we would get less spam, but they would also be allowed to find out what they need to know.

Thoughts please! =)[/quote]

They can utilize the "Ask A Question" Sitcky. There are numerous memebers on the forum that pride themselves in not only posting in that thread, but also helping as many people as possible...

They can still POST THERE, not get the statisfaction of CREATING A NEW thread!

[QUOTE="AJJets107, post: 972262]Yes, this would make life so much easier. I have seen so many people spamming just to get to 25 posts.[/quote]

I can see where the spam is coming from, but the 25 post minimum is crucial to anti-spam already. While many of the memebers are now spamming to get to that 25 post limit, you still see --> 26th post "I have been witing to ask this......."

It is quite frustrating, I wish you could make everyone type the rules out before becoming a memeber...

[QUOTE="roosters93, post: 0]That is a great idea Rebon. :)[/quote]

There is a sticky for questions that anyone can use. ITs over 130 pages long, and has been quote effectiv until now. Panda Beat Shenyu is looking for a new person to take over the duties of the first post, so maybe conccentrating on finding that replacment is good...

There was a thread posted by PBS, but I cant find it right now...

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
Get 5 people all posting their questions in there and I suspect sifting through the answers to find yours becomes quite a trial. I think a seperate sub-forum would really not hurt - also you can always try it and revert if it all goes pear shaped :)

B

BigD08

I think it would be great idea. I had some questions but had to wait my time to get to 25 post. ALso if spammers did come show up it would be in one thread and would be easy to moderate.

Cyrann

Master Guru
Oct 2, 2006
[QUOTE="BigD08, post: 0]I think it would be great idea. I had some questions but had to wait my time to get to 25 post. ALso if spammers did come show up it would be in one thread and would be easy to moderate.[/quote]

The spammers, spam all over, it would be impossible to contain it to one forum.

I can see the point about being able to moderate the sub-forum better, but people shifting through pages vs. threads is pretty much the same thing...

Each post in the thread is numbered...

I was just stating my point/idea so that the forums landscape didn't have to change again. It's reallt not my say or a big deal, just trying to save time for the Admin...

Oh well, I'm really off today I guess...

Maybe I'll quit posting for a while...

B

BigD08

[QUOTE="Cyrann, post: 0]The spammers, spam all over, it would be impossible to contain it to one forum.

I can see the point about being able to moderate the sub-forum better, but people shifting through pages vs. threads is pretty much the same thing...

Each post in the thread is numbered...

I was just stating my point/idea so that the forums landscape didn't have to change again. It's reallt not my say or a big deal, just trying to save time for the Admin...

Oh well, I'm really off today I guess...

Maybe I'll quit posting for a while...[/quote]

COrrect they are going to spam all over. But instead of them doing it on individual topics they might stay in that one thread instead of having to get there post count up to start new threads. WEre never going to be able to stop spammers but it might control them a little. WHo knows. There as bad a telemarketers.