Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag - PS3 vs PS4 Graphics Comparison (Video)

Nuvian

Master Sage
Feb 4, 2008
[video=youtube;HIHH_PNwcVE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIHH_PNwcVE[/video]
►► Remember to select 720p or 1080p HD ◄◄
Here's a full screen graphics comparison for Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag between the PS3 and PS4 versions. Both footage is an in-game cutscene from the start of Sequence 3, and both have been captured @ 1080p via HDMI using the Elgato Game Capture HD

Big difference in my opinion.

billm0066

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2006
There's a difference but not enough enough to really brag about. That's the problem with multiplat and multi gen games. They don't have the time or resources to optimize for each individual console and you can't blame them. 90% of sales will be on the last gen.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Looks like they just went with higher rez textures on the same models (for both versions). The biggest difference is the DOF and the detail of the water. It would've been better if the comparison was made with gameplay footage, IMO. I'm more interested in what the difference is when playing the game.

shepard

PSU Live Streamer
Dec 21, 2006
You guys saying the difference isn't that big....exactly how big of a difference were you expecting? This will be the console generation with perhaps the smallest obvious leap in graphics compared to generations past. We already live in a generation that has mocap and character renders that look almost life like.

Textures, lighting, shaders, effects, draw distances....these are going to be the primary differences for next gen when making graphical comparisons.

It's always easy to pick on a game that is cross gen because you can have side by side footage. Chances are good ps3 could play KZ:SF or Infamous:SS but you better believe it would have washed out textures and fewer particle effects, etc. Obviously those 2 being sony exclusives, they won't get cross gen versions as they are meant to promote next gen. But AC4, BF4, CoD, etc....these games have no reason to not try and get themselves out to as many people as possible.

edit:
As for this comparison in footage. The ocean is the most obvious to point out, but the textures (ship, clothing), shadows, lens flares and draw distance also are noticeable. Perhaps they should have included a side by side of both consoles comparing weather effects and foliage. As this footage is more likely a "cutscene" rather than gameplay.

Last edited:

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="Fenix, post: 6230028]Mix of big improvements (Shadows, draw distance, and a huge one being the water), and some just barely. Looking good.[/QUOTE] Yeah the water and draw distance were the two most noticable improvements and sharper textures. More of an improvement than I thought there would be tbh.

Itachi

Forum Sage
Nov 13, 2010
Winterfell
[video=youtube;dB_fM8jsbGU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB_fM8jsbGU[/video]

so the only thing improved are the weather, foliage and water simulations? (also the resolution)

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
It looks like nearly everything is improved, if mostly only marginally. But I find the numerous small improvements to be enough to increase the overall fidelity nicely. This is a cross-generation, multiplatform title so it's really not surprising that it's only partially exercising the full capabilities of the XB1 and PS4.

I'm actually impressed with how well the 360 version looked. Not bad at all for 8-year old hardware.

Itachi

Forum Sage
Nov 13, 2010
Winterfell
[QUOTE="Rapture, post: 6230652]It looks like nearly everything is improved, if mostly only marginally. But I find the numerous small improvements to be enough to increase the overall fidelity nicely. This is a cross-generation, multiplatform title so it's really not surprising that it's only partially exercising the full capabilities of the XB1 and PS4.

I'm actually impressed with how well the 360 version looked. Not bad at all for 8-year old hardware.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm more impressed at how well the current gen systems keep up. The simulations are really nice though

shepard

PSU Live Streamer
Dec 21, 2006
Just finished watching this, was coming to add it to the previous AC4 comparison thread.

I'm still waiting for the ps4 version. I'm playing a game that takes place in the Caribbean. I want my oceans, plant life and weather effects to be at its peak as they are the building blocks to a great experience in such a location.

Malt

Superior Member
Oct 29, 2013
Darkest Wales
Not going to get the huge visual leap we had at the start if the current gen when we entered the HD era, not with the early games anyway. I think it will be like it was when HD TV came in. At first the differences were noticeable, but not that noticeable to most people I know who weren't that interested in technology. I find the more HD content you watch on TV, the rougher SD content looks when you see it and I think that's the type of thing you're going to notice about the ps3 content after getting used to playing on ps4. The subtle differences will mount up.

bru_sek

Apprentice
Mar 18, 2010
[QUOTE="mistercrow, post: 6230185]Yeah the water and draw distance were the two most noticable improvements and sharper textures. More of an improvement than I thought there would be tbh.[/QUOTE]

billm0066

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2006
[QUOTE="shepard, post: 6230099]You guys saying the difference isn't that big....exactly how big of a difference were you expecting? This will be the console generation with perhaps the smallest obvious leap in graphics compared to generations past. We already live in a generation that has mocap and character renders that look almost life like.

Textures, lighting, shaders, effects, draw distances....these are going to be the primary differences for next gen when making graphical comparisons.

It's always easy to pick on a game that is cross gen because you can have side by side footage. Chances are good ps3 could play KZ:SF or Infamous:SS but you better believe it would have washed out textures and fewer particle effects, etc. Obviously those 2 being sony exclusives, they won't get cross gen versions as they are meant to promote next gen. But AC4, BF4, CoD, etc....these games have no reason to not try and get themselves out to as many people as possible.

edit:
As for this comparison in footage. The ocean is the most obvious to point out, but the textures (ship, clothing), shadows, lens flares and draw distance also are noticeable. Perhaps they should have included a side by side of both consoles comparing weather effects and foliage. As this footage is more likely a "cutscene" rather than gameplay.[/QUOTE]

Not much to be honest. Why did you jump to conclusions?

Jul 13, 2013
[QUOTE="Fenix, post: 6230028]Mix of big improvements (Shadows, draw distance, and a huge one being the water), and some just barely. Looking good.[/QUOTE]

This is what I care about the most in any game on next gen consoles. Resolution isn't the end all be all

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Oct 24, 2013
hm truth be told that is not much of a jump at all. the ps4 version is smoother and shaper no doubt but the biggest jump is the water. still I'll get the game for ps4 one day. playing the games on 360 right now almost done AC 2 then on to the other ones.

Cyn

Veteran
Feb 19, 2008
Cross gen game is cross gen.

It doesn't look bad. But it doesn't look great either. Ubisoft have a habit of making the first reveal look breathtaking, then the actual game coming nowhere near it - even on PC. Far Cry 3 did it too.

GrandWazoo

Dedicated Member
Sep 24, 2007
[QUOTE="Cyn, post: 6231436]Far Cry 3 did it too.[/QUOTE]

Ooooo, I think you need to choose another example. FC3 looked tremendous.

Cyn

Veteran
Feb 19, 2008
[QUOTE="GrandWazoo, post: 6231481]Ooooo, I think you need to choose another example. FC3 looked tremendous.[/QUOTE]
Go watch the initial trailers, gameplay looked like cutscenes. Actual game did not. Obviously.

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 6231385]ugh. That video doesn't do either game enough justice on what they look like.[/QUOTE] Yeah I watched it on the PS3 you tube app which had much higher res video. I could see the differences alot better.

GrandWazoo

Dedicated Member
Sep 24, 2007
[QUOTE="shepard, post: 6231493]probably referring to this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE9EpmDMZtA

This is why people should wait for gameplay trailers and not base expectations on CGI trailers. Especially the promotional ones used to introduce the product for the first time.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. If I remember correctly the initial trailers were not gameplay at all, they WERE CGI. The actual gameplay trailers were much later I think.