Assassin's Creed: Valhalla - The Next Gen Console Comparison - PS5 | Series X

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being 1920x1080
And of course you ignored the fact the the Series X version framerate is much more stable than PS5's with the new patch.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
I know. That was what I was talking about in first place.
Nope, hardware design doesn't particularly care what your language of choice is. Be it C++, Ruby, Lua etc. etc. the instructions that drive the circuitry, and the trade-offs made for efficiency (of note in the console space) are not the domain of programming. It's a single SIMD instruction to fully use all CU's on a gpu, be it 32, 48, or 64+. Your design determines how fast you execute those instructions. Point in case; There is a reason AMD dedicated so much die space for their RDNA2 silicon to an extra cache level.
You get speed up based on how much you can make your tools - in this case your programming tools - work within the limits of the design.

As a crude example: If i took a single pixel, and wanted to test it's colour i'd at minimum require three passes (i have an incredibly badly designed system). With each pass the RGB values are read into registers, then held in some buffer. It makes no difference to the programmer how this process is called, and/or achieved. Because (and this is how you actually do it) you can just pack each 8-bit RGB value into a single 32-bit register, and read them off in a single pass. Easy 3-4x perf increase for this badly designed system when reading pixel data. This is all abstracted away. How you expose the circuitry to the 'programmer' is another thing entirely.

Sep 10, 2005
And of course you ignored the fact the the Series X version framerate is much more stable than PS5's with the new patch.
The "unstable: Ps5 framerate can be resolved by re downloading the (patched) game again,because its a bug!!Why should i mention a bug...The reality is,series x resolution scales down more that ps5 in order to maintain 60 fps.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2007

You still don't get it. Sony fans expect the SX to show a difference. The SX is stronger. Strong enough that they should be able to brute force beyond the ps5 according to you lol. Each time these various games are close or performing better on the PS5, that's a loss for the SX. The gap is supposed to be clear. The expectations were set high all because of MS's power talk and their stupid fanboys bragging pre-launch of these consoles. Even with these cross-gen games there should be a gap with how you carried on. Even in cases where the SX does outperform the PS5, you make the worlds biggest mountain out of a tiny ant hill(your COD:CW thread).
Remember that this isn't the fault of Sony fans so don't direct your anger this way. You guys stood in front of the fan. It just so happens that some :poop: hit it too. Multiple times.

Last edited:

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
The "unstable: Ps5 framerate can be resolved by re downloading the (patched) game again,because its a bug!!Why should i mention a bug...The reality is,series x resolution scales down more that ps5 in order to maintain 60 fps.
Lots of weird bugs lately lol.

Do you have a source for that? So if you download and patch the game again, the Ps5 version runs stable at 60? Never seen that before.

Nope, hardware design doesn't particularly care what your language of choice is. Be it C++, Ruby, Lua etc. etc. the instructions that drive the circuitry, and the trade-offs made for efficiency (of note in the console space) are not the domain of programming. It's a single SIMD instruction to fully use all CU's on a gpu, be it 32, 48, or 64+. Your design determines how fast you execute those instructions. Point in case; There is a reason AMD dedicated so much die space for their RDNA2 silicon to an extra cache level.
You get speed up based on how much you can make your tools - in this case your programming tools - work within the limits of the design.
You're still tied to your tools, right? Which is what I'm talking about. So, for what I understand, almost no developers code directly to the steel anymore. Hence, as MS upgrades their tools and devs get familiar with it, they will be able to get the most out of the hardware.

Not sure why you felt in the need to go so deep in the explanation. Not that I complain though.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2005
Lots of weird bugs lately lol.

Do you have a source for that? So if you download and patch the game again, the Ps5 version runs stable at 60? Never seen that before..
I have seen it yesterday on tweeter,after the latest patch almost everyone complained that Ps5 drops frames in places that it wasn't before.I cant remember who was the guy that found that solution tho...I remember him saying there is something wrong with the patch installer.So in order for this to work you need to re download the already patched game.

I think the solution was in the discussion when John said this.This is sadly only a pic someone got, not the link of the discussion.I would ask him but for now the guy locked his account,and no one can answer or talk to him except the one he mentions lol

Last edited:

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
You're still tied to your tools, right? Which is what I'm talking about. So, for what I understand, almost no developers code directly to the steel anymore. Hence, as MS upgrades their tools and devs get familiar with it, they will be able to get the most out of the hardware.
Which means the frequency, and/or CU count means nothing.
It's easier for program for higher clocked/less CUs for what has been reported from devs, so it will take some time for the XSX to tap their 12Tflop figure... and there's the advanced 2.0 features. Also, ML based super resolution is just under deep investigation by MS.
Which is why the above make no sense.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
Which means the frequency, and/or CU count means nothing.
When it comes to performance, of course it does whether it's on an API level or not. Said otherwise, if it was linear, differences would show up from day 1.

I have seen it yesterday on tweeter,after the latest patch almost everyone complained that Ps5 drops frames in places that it wasn't before.I cant remember who was the guy that found that solution tho...I remember him saying there is something wrong with the patch installer.So in order for this to work you need to re download the already patched game.

I think the solution was in the discussion when John said this.This is sadly only a pic someone got, not the link of the discussion. I would ask him but for now the guy locked his account,and no one can answer or talk to him except the one he mentions lol
Uhmm... you probably got confused. Yes I'm aware some people recommend not to patch it. Anyway, it will probably take a while to have this game decently optimized.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
When it comes to performance, of course it does whether it's on an API level or not. Said otherwise, if it was linear, differences would show up from day 1.
You've taken that out of context. The context here is your quoted post... which, coincidentally, was included in my post so there was no loss of context... but c'est la vie i guess.