Australian Price (Official)

Grey Fox

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2006
thats no problem for me- insurence =500 $ a broken arm- time to get snapping
on a serious note, i am pissed at sony, I HATE YOU...AAAAHAHHHHHGGGG
damn i dont have that kind of cash

May 23, 2005
God , you people with the UK pound is making it even more painfull throwing around huge figures like that .

Thinking of selling my Honda's rims for a PS3 . Could fetch a sizeable amount at the Pawn Shop :D

Start selling stuff people (**thumbs up**) :D

De Man

Apprentice
Jan 16, 2006
G_H_G said:
If the UK price is for the 60gb over £350 I will walk out the very next day and pick up a 360 with Oblivion. I will then get the PS3 at a later date when the price drops.

350 euros for the PS3 premium.
Ok it's mine than.

G_H_G

Ahead of the Game
Mar 3, 2006
De Man said:
G_H_G said:
If the UK price is for the 60gb over £350 I will walk out the very next day and pick up a 360 with Oblivion. I will then get the PS3 at a later date when the price drops.

350 euros for the PS3 premium.
Ok it's mine than.
I said UK pounds, not Euros. If this £410 pounds for the 60gb then Sony can kiss my black ass on the way out of the shop with a 360 in my hand.

May 9, 2006
I dont think these are the "offical prices" for us aussies

i went to the link posted by vorian and i never saw any australian prices there.
All i saw was this
Equipped with Blu-ray and Pre-Installed HDDAvailable at €499 (20GB HDD) and €599 (60GB HDD)
but i did go to a xe.com and did a currency conversion and what do you know

€499 = 426 aud
€599 = 992 aud

i even checked out the australian playstation webpage, because if they were 'official prices' they would have it posted.

so all us aussies and new zealanders, lets all calm down a bit about these prices since i dont think its offical...for now...

Skribble

Elite Member
Feb 27, 2005
www.apb-central.com
Did you do that conversion yourself or is that how it's written on the site? Because I have a feeling we will get closer to $850, conversion from US/Japan(australasia) than euro, don't forget we don't have VAT.

Also, Kaz Karai said the retailers got to choose their price for the premium bundle, that is just a recomended price, some will charge more, some less.

May 23, 2005
Calm down ???? I wish i could but daaamn .

Were getting it straight up the hiney on the price . Atleast they doing a worldwide , thats cool and also that its region free .

Tell me where do i get $1300 , cause you know i must have atleast 3 games also . Im in New Zealand by the way .

vorian

Superior Member
Sep 14, 2005
I dont think these are the "offical prices" for us aussies

i went to the link posted by vorian and i never saw any australian prices there.
All i saw was this
Quote:
Equipped with Blu-ray and Pre-Installed HDDAvailable at €499 (20GB HDD) and €599 (60GB HDD)

but i did go to a xe.com and did a currency conversion and what do you know

€499 = 426 aud
€599 = 992 aud

i even checked out the australian playstation webpage, because if they were 'official prices' they would have it posted.

so all us aussies and new zealanders, lets all calm down a bit about these prices since i dont think its offical...for now...

Believe me mate - its an official Sony site - the Virtual Press Office for the Playstation family of products I'm thinking. Here - looky -

http://www.playstation.com.au and http://www.yourpsp.com.au or visit the Virtual Press Office at http://www.scee.presscentre.com/au

That quote I made at the top of the thread was from 09/05/2006 update on the home page of the last link right there.

May 23, 2005
I dont want to Looky anymore . I'm gonna start to cry if i Looky at that price all the time .

I'm off to work . Maybe i'll be walking to work or something . I'm selling my car , damn you Sony for making me do this .

Subotnik

Apprentice
Apr 13, 2006
Boogie Woogie said:

Were getting it straight up the hiney on the price . Atleast they doing a worldwide , thats cool and also that its region free .

Tell me where do i get $1300 , cause you know i must have atleast 3 games also . Im in New Zealand by the way .
Start saving, you've got 6 months. I would be surprised if anyone in NZ thought it would come in at anything less than a grand at launch.

G_H_G

Ahead of the Game
Mar 3, 2006
Subotnik said:
Boogie Woogie said:

Start saving, you've got 6 months. I would be surprised if anyone in NZ thought it would come in at anything less than a grand at launch.
Its not about saving though. Its about principles and opportunity cost. What else could you buy with that $1000-1300 dollars? I could tell you that you could get something better than a videogames console for that money.

Steroyd

Elite Sage
Jun 17, 2005
Its not about saving though. Its about principles and opportunity cost. What else could you buy with that $1000-1300 dollars? I could tell you that you could get something better than a videogames console for that money.
I know that money could go to towards a Media Centre PC.

vorian

Superior Member
Sep 14, 2005
A) http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=4217&NewsAreaID=2 - They could always change their mind?

B) He said that retailers could choose their pricing of the premium, they want sales so they might all sell it lower...
Ok - retail and something called 'margins' - I very much doubt that Sony would be giving any more than 10 percent to the retailers. And thats the big retailers like EB or Gamestop that order by the pallet load. Little guys will probably get low allocations with a 5 percent margin to play with. And I reckon thats stretching it. The margins are all in the games NOT the hardware. If anything the retailers will price up according to strong demand and short supply.

Just to add - A 10 percent discount off the retail of a Premium 360 totals to around $584.10 AUD. The cheapest I have seen 360 premiums in Australia is $599.00. so the retailers aren't even pumping 10 percent. On the other hand, with the software that retails for $109.00-$119.00 you can often find it for anywhere in between $79.00-$99.00. That looks like better margins in the software to me. And attatchment rate means everything to the console manufacturers.

May 9, 2006
crap, you're right vorian! sorry! :oops:
when i went to the link you provided in your first post it took me to the europe webpage.

these prices are a bit ridiculous, but remember when the psp prices were first announced for australia? it was like $429 aud.

but due a backlash from lots of people (i think ) they dropped the proce down to $399

sure 30 dollars difference is not much, but the point is sony listened and responded to the negativity from psp initial price tag.

so maybe if everyone in the world starts complaining, im sure sony will have the premuim down to $499US... well i can hope cant i? :)

Skribble

Elite Member
Feb 27, 2005
www.apb-central.com
I think they'd have around 20% actually, they seemed adament that retailers would have a choice.

Agreed EB will get more, with higher margins.

Sony will need to revise this australian pricing, or they will run into serious trouble... I would pay $800 happily, and though I will probably pay the $1000 I'm not happy about it if I have too.

Email sony and demand near direct US conversion!

Subotnik

Apprentice
Apr 13, 2006
G_H_G said:
You could say the same thing about any price slapped on the console.

designit123

Elite Member
Oct 6, 2005
I was hoping to pay $800... I bought a PS2 at launch for 749.... but theres just something psychological about dropping 1000 bucks on a console.... ive already preordered but im considering cancelling it... Ill probably still get it but it hurts...

also, most people in Australia dont even own hi def tvs and 1080p tvs arent even available here yet!!!!

I guess ill wait and see what the 360 has to offer and after e3 make a decision.... ive always been a sony and nintendo buyer but at that price and to wait til november it may be worth getting a 360... The games shown today were great but not that great that they blew 360s games away...

TGO

Ancient
Feb 26, 2006
purgatory
they can't do that!
I can get a high end Dell PC with Pentinum D(dual processor) 1gb ram + 200gb HDD for £299
the pound is worth twice as much as the US & Euro dollar
so it makes sense 300×2=600
I think this is the first time the US has been charged the right price

Steroyd

Elite Sage
Jun 17, 2005
€499 (AU$829 20GB HDD) and €599 (AU$999 60GB HDD)
lets see if i go and exchange 500 Euro to Australian $$$'s that's:

499E = 824.29

599E = 989.48

That's near enough a straight conversion from Euro to AUD, and because England is in Europe it should be....

499E = 340.94

599E = 409.27

That isn't so expensive over here, well it's not that big of a price leap as of in Aus and US, i'll be able to get the premium console, an extra controller (no Recharge pack :lol:), and a fair few games. :D

Good ole' blighty. 8)

Jul 22, 2005
It is very expensive indeed. But we still got 6 months away guys! get a part time job for a while sure you will more than a grand in 6 months.
If we really want to compare with Xbox 360 premium and core. the core version of PS3 is already what the premium Xbox 360 offering : 20GB HDD, no wifi, no HDMI, no SD MMC etc but no Blu-ray on 360. Think about if you buy Xbox 360 with extra wifi, extra HD-DVD support, extra HDMI(if possible), extra storage(MMC SD etc).
But PS3 has a better hardware, free basic online subscription. The games, you know it is amazing!
I work hard to get a PS3 but it will pay off for sure. It is still our decision to buy it or not, if you don't like it don't buy it!

Sypherssj209

Dedicated Member
May 22, 2005
Hey guys, I posted this in another part of the forum but it got locked heh, so I guess ill post it here for people to see and talk about, hopefully its not all like this when it releases.

I have been looking at the difference in pricing for people over the globe for the US, Europe, and Australasia, and the difference in prices is quite unfair, considering that the games wont be needed to be changed from NTSC to PAL anymore, and how we dont need to import from Europe anymore because of the all-region thing.

Look at this

Yen 59,800 (20GB) = AUS$698.04
USA $499 (20GB) = AUS$648.60
Euro $499 (20GB) = AUS$824.01
USA $599 (60GB) = AUS$778.58
Euro $599 (60GB) = AUS$989.15

In the US, your only paying $599 for the 60GB version, which is equivalent to AUS $778, where is in Aus, for a 60GB version, we have to pay the Euro $599 which is AUS $989.

Now, lets convert AUS $989.15 back into US Dollars to see how they compare.

AUS $989 = US $764, thats a jump of $164 US dollars for the Aussies, and thats only for the system, thats not including import tax or GST on top (GST is an extra 10% here in Aus)

So really, this is quite bullcrap, and very unfair on the Aussie gamers, we may not have to wait like we usually do with games and systems, but were sure getting owned over in other ways

But then again, I am still willing to buy it, because it you look at all the things inside it, and see what your actually getting what your paying for its all worth it, I just find it unfair that we have to pay an extra $164US...especially when we have to get games with it aswell...
Thats a bit unfair dontcha think?

Nov 1, 2005
Well unless they drop the price by $200 then dont expect me to get this console in this fking continent (Australia). I mean problem is that importing raises issues like power conversion etc. Where else can i get it from? I seriously this may spark another Cronulla incident at Ebgames

Mar 6, 2006
I know the feeling, it's even worse for us in South Africa tho. Once you convert the US$ or Euro Prices to our local currency (Rands) things looks something like this:

US$499 = SA R3003.00
€499 = SA R3992.00
£499 = SA R5489.00
US$599 = SA R6506.00
€599 = SA R4792.00
£599 = SA R6589.00

Then you still need to add the usual import taxes and the local distributor's markup onto that, which would probably be around R1000 (conservitave estimate), and if you take into account that 99% of our current PS2 stock comes from the UK, I'll be forking out around SA R7600.00 for the premium PS3. To put things into perspective I clear around R9000.00/pm after tax/pension/medical aid deductions, and then I still need to pay the bills, buy food, etc etc.

PS3 in South Africa will be unaffordable to almost everybody unless they earn major $$$, or been saving for months already. This wont be a "kids toy" this time round, not for a couple of years to come at those prices if you ask me.

Sometimes it really sucks living in a 3rd world country.

B

bizzy-bone

$1000 dollars at launch for a PS3... nah, i am going to wait for a price drop. PLEASE, hurry up and bring out God of War 2. I'm still going to need my ps2 :(

May 9, 2006
Might aswell preorder bout 50 so from the US and sell em in Australia or on ebay for us Aussies, just so we can get it cheaper.
Why did they through us with the Euro's(no offence), but aint Japan closer........

May 23, 2005
VariableEntity said:
I know the feeling, it's even worse for us in South Africa tho. Once you convert the US$ or Euro Prices to our local currency (Rands) things looks something like this:

US$499 = SA R3003.00
€499 = SA R3992.00
£499 = SA R5489.00
US$599 = SA R6506.00
€599 = SA R4792.00
£599 = SA R6589.00

Then you still need to add the usual import taxes and the local distributor's markup onto that, which would probably be around R1000 (conservitave estimate), and if you take into account that 99% of our current PS2 stock comes from the UK, I'll be forking out around SA R7600.00 for the premium PS3. To put things into perspective I clear around R9000.00/pm after tax/pension/medical aid deductions, and then I still need to pay the bills, buy food, etc etc.

PS3 in South Africa will be unaffordable to almost everybody unless they earn major $$$, or been saving for months already. This wont be a "kids toy" this time round, not for a couple of years to come at those prices if you ask me.

Sometimes it really sucks living in a 3rd world country.
Holy Testical Tuesday !!!! :shock:

But yeah man , i feel your pain . I'm from South Africa too , been living in New Zealand for 4 years now and loving it . Us Kiwi's are still getting a_ _ raped by Sony on the price but you guys are getting it HARD .
You'll just have to bite down hard and take it up the....

Sypherssj209

Dedicated Member
May 22, 2005
Hmmm, I was wondering what I should do, I need some of you guys opinions on the matter.

What I am perhaps planning on doing, is preordering about 3-4 PS3's in Aus, and what I will do is pay them off slowly from now till the release, but not fully pay them off.

What I was thinking of doing is put them up for sale on Ebay Australia a month or so before release. Is this possible even though myself I have them on preorder? I know that people will still pay alot more than $1000 for a PS3, just look at the 360 launch, people were paying over $3000-4000 for a 360 in some cases.

So I will get the money I recieve from ebay and pay off the PS3's with the money and then send the PS3 to the buyer on Ebay, all up Im pretty sure I could make enough money to buy a PS3, games, extra controller, and still have some money left over afterwards to save, plus I will only sell 2-3 PS3's and have one of my own.

Is it possible to do such a thing? its a pretty good idea..I hope its legal lol.