Australian Price (Official)

Bitbydeath

Power Member
Sep 10, 2005
i've already put $1000aus on my console... the price difference between the PS3 and the 360 isn't really that much difference $150? and you do get a lot more with the PS3 so although it is expensive i think it'll still be worth it.

You may be able to buy a high end PC for 1000 but it will only have a 1-2 year life span before it's outdated by something else while the PS3 is guaranteed at least 5 years

Jun 4, 2006
You think you got it bad look at this

Euro 599 = 77,658,253.5 Zimbabwe Dollars ( yes thats right 77 MILLION)

Of course luckly I dont live in Zimbabwe

Nov 10, 2005
i've already put $1000aus on my console...
The funds in my signature and Australian dollars. Wait isn't the 360 $650 in Australia if i'm not mistaken? And i don't think i am because i live in Australia!.

B

badquinton304

I dont mind paying 1000 aussie dollars for a ps3 cause im getting a holiday job soon and 1000 bucks is worth it completely in my opinion.
I put quality before price. If im getting a console with the best graphics, games, a bluray player and free online $1000/$850 is real value in my opinion.
I think ps3 will still win as long as people see it for what it is which is more than a gaming console. I see it as the best gaming console + plus a bluray player + a pc= PS3 and I hope people can see this.

In conslusion PS3 OWNS, PS3 is KING and Ken, Kaz and Phil are GODS.

Jabjabs

Elite Guru
May 10, 2006
www.superderp.com
I'm definitely not paying $1000 or even $829 for Ps3, I've said it before but I know it's great value but the dollar cost is simply pushes it well out of the reasonable price range. 360 was the limit for me. My money will probably go towards a Wii this Christmas then I'll get a Ps3 if the first price drop is big enough.

In conslusion PS3 OWNS, PS3 is KING and Ken, Kaz and Phil are GODS.
I still have no idea which team you are going for. j/k :wink:

My reasons why they are gods. Ken is a crazy idiot, Kaz has that shirt, Phil is bald, combined they are unstoppable! :)

Graham

like.no.other
Dec 3, 2005
keshin said:
I'm think straight conversions of £499 and £599 are a real possability.... especially after last nights Sony conference.
Absolutely no chance...people are still thinking in the past when the dollar was a lot stronger against the pound. The PSP wasn't a straight conversion, the DS wasn't a straight conversion, and neither was the Xbox 360. If you take the Xbox 360 $ - £ conversion ratio of 1.43:1, $600 works out to be around £420 for the premium PS3. It's no coincidence why stores are typically around the £425 mark in the UK, and they won't be far off the truth.

Besides, I don't know what you Aussies are complaining about. At current exchange rates, AU$1000 is roughly £400, which is CHEAPER than what we are paying. Pleaese don't go on as though you always get the rough deal, because clearly you don't! All these OMG :shock: :shock: "HOW MUCH?" comments seem a bit OTT. Still, the less you Aussies buy, the more there is for the rest of us who live in the real world and actually see the PS3 for the good value that it is! ;)

stanlives

Apprentice
May 11, 2006
Graham said:
keshin said:
I'm think straight conversions of £499 and £599 are a real possability.... especially after last nights Sony conference.
Absolutely no chance...people are still thinking in the past when the dollar was a lot stronger against the pound. The PSP wasn't a straight conversion, the DS wasn't a straight conversion, and neither was the Xbox 360. If you take the Xbox 360 $ - £ conversion ratio of 1.43:1, $600 works out to be around £420 for the premium PS3. It's no coincidence why stores are typically around the £425 mark in the UK, and they won't be far off the truth.

Besides, I don't know what you Aussies are complaining about. At current exchange rates, AU$1000 is roughly £400, which is CHEAPER than what we are paying. Pleaese don't go on as though you always get the rough deal, because clearly you don't! All these OMG :shock: :shock: "HOW MUCH?" comments seem a bit OTT. Still, the less you Aussies buy, the more there is for the rest of us who live in the real world and actually see the PS3 for the good value that it is! ;)
graham i've said this somewhere else but if u want a cheap ps3 buy it off the aussie ebay site as there are no way we will sell out and im sure some people think they can make easy money here doing it...

also i've lived in the uk and what does the average guy earn on avg? when i lived there is was about a weeks work give or take (and i was backpacking so it was even a professional job) in aussie its a good week and a half to two weeks wages (at least) so really we have got the short straw - or the straw just a little bigger than the kiwis and i guess the zimbabians...

also to all the little kids out there i feel sorry - i worked out as a paper job on my wages when i was 14 i would have to work 33 sundays delivering papers, then not spend a cent the whole week, just to buy the console.... 33 weeks is a long long time... so hang in there guys im sure one day you'll get one...

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
Is Australia PAL or NTSC? If it's NTSC then you should be able to import from Canada or the US and get it much cheaper.

Jun 5, 2006
I am an Aussie and I've got to say that I'm not too suprised by this price considering back in the day when the PS1 was released it to was around the $1000 mark. I will not be purchasing one at launch (I'm a broke Uni student) but my girlfriend said when the price comes down she will buy me one (when I buy her a ring). :roll: It's a small price to pay for my beloved sony console.

Feb 2, 2006
people need to realize this is how the world works.. What did u expect to happen with gaming consoles? To stay at the same price forever.. lol NOT HAPPENING.. Consoles go up every new generation because of the hardware they put into these machines.. People want more, people want the best, and sony is giving us people that, with the ps3. Technology like that is not cheap. When u do buy a ps3 you know ur getting the best damn console ever made and the ps3 will last you a very very long time.

Just think about something u bought that was really expensive.. Now think about how many times you actually use that thing.. Now think about how much u will use ur ps3. About every day until the ps4 comes out... So its worth it... I bought a 360 and i probably use it twice a month... Not a very good investment as of right now..

May 2, 2006
It will be worth the money for the time I put into the sucker thats for sure. I get alot of quality time out of the PS2, sitting around playing games, while my girlfriend reads next to me. And to pay $1000 isn't too bad in the long run considering how much fun I will get out of the next final fantasies and such.

It will still put a nice dent in the bank account though. Although not as much as some of the Alienware computers I keep fantasing about.

Nov 10, 2005
Is Australia PAL or NTSC?
Australia is PAL.

i haven't complained once besides i think it's great price i was expecting it to be higher. The premium 360 was like $650 so i think that might have contributed to it's low price compared to US whatever.

A7

Supreme Veteran
Apr 19, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Graham said:
...I don't know what you Aussies are complaining about. At current exchange rates, AU$1000 is roughly £400, which is CHEAPER than what we are paying. Pleaese don't go on as though you always get the rough deal, because clearly you don't! All these OMG :shock: :shock: "HOW MUCH?" comments seem a bit OTT. Still, the less you Aussies buy, the more there is for the rest of us who live in the real world and actually see the PS3 for the good value that it is! ;)
Tell me Graham how much does the average Brit labourer make per week? Plus the cost of living for a family with 2 children plus all the utilities... Why is it people do straight conversions without thinking about the cost of living and income in Australia firstly when compared to their homelands? Fortunately like yourself I too can buy one today if it were released (I carry cash mostly on me) however it takes nearly 2 weeks to earn $1,000AUD (average labourer) and then there are bills, kids, wife, shopping, petroleum (very high in AU) & rent/house loan (in most cases) to think about.

I want a PS3 but won't buy one @ launch, not because of price but because of the fact that it will have hardware and software problems, I was very fortunate with my XBOX360 which I paid $600 retail back in March (1 week after release time here in Melbourne) and do not want to buy an early launch console again now that the tech has really stepped up when compared to the PS2 etc...

Jabjabs

Elite Guru
May 10, 2006
www.superderp.com
Despite my job I only make about $400 a week, once I take out rent, food, bills and general expenses I can only save about $30 a week if I'm lucky and most of the time that is impossible. You can see why I can't get it for a long time.

A7

Supreme Veteran
Apr 19, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
That was my point Jabjabs to Graham, because our population is that of only 20million we pay through our butts for hardware goods and that is why when people here tell us Aussies that there is not much price difference between the XBOX360 and the PS3 we highly disagree. I know that when the PS3 is released I will be able to buy the 60Gb version for $870-900AUD because of someone I know who works at a certain retailer however I paid $600AUD for my Premium XBOX360, with that extra $270-$300AUD I can go buy clothing for myself and partner or eat at a fine restaurant or save the money for 2 weeks petrol or pay a weeks worth of rent...
I'm aware the PS3 hardware is superior to that of the XBOX360 but I am trying to explain what a $1,000AUD is worth.

biohazrd

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2006
to this i have one thing to say.. haha

this is sony's way of punishing the convicts that started your country (those of you that dont know, australia was used to store british prisoners) but anwyays, aussie price... hahaha.. i live in canada so i'll see a 659 dollar release for the 60 gig, but with the crazy steam the cdn dollar has right now, i could go to the states and buy one of theres (the 599 us version) for 657... 3 dollars in savings

Graham

like.no.other
Dec 3, 2005
I'm sure that in Australia there are people who earn a lot and people who don't. That's life, no matter where you are in the world. Forgetting mortgage, bills, car, kids, wife etc., I can afford a PS3 on a weeks salary. I know people who need a months salary, and I know people who can buy one with just one days salary. Is a measure of quality of life based on how many weeks salary is required to buy a PS3 though? Of course not.

In the grand scheme of things though, if saving $270-$300AUD means just paying a weeks rent, or 2 weeks petrol, or a fine meal somwhere...it's almost meaningless. If I had to live my life week by week, the last thing I'd be doing is buying a PS3 and games.

A7

Supreme Veteran
Apr 19, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Graham said:
In the grand scheme of things though, if saving $270-$300AUD means just paying a weeks rent, or 2 weeks petrol, or a fine meal somwhere...it's almost meaningless. If I had to live my life week by week, the last thing I'd be doing is buying a PS3 and games.
Well then you understand now why Aussies will complain about it? Like you just said "If I had to live my life week by week, the last thing I'd be doing is buying a PS3 and games". I agree with that statement but tell a Sony fan he/she can't have a PS3 now, you can't expect him/her to be happy... Or to feel that he/she got the short end of the stick, exactly my point originally. The money I'll be saving will be going to an extra controller and games, because that $1,000AUD is just the console and I was talking about the average labourer, not you and myself.

Graham

like.no.other
Dec 3, 2005
A7MAD said:
Well then you understand now why Aussies will complain about it? Like you just said "If I had to live my life week by week, the last thing I'd be doing is buying a PS3 and games". I agree with that statement but tell a Sony fan he/she can't have a PS3 now, you can't expect him/her to be happy... Or to feel that he/she got the short end of the stick, exactly my point originally. The money I'll be saving will be going to an extra controller and games, because that $1,000AUD is just the console and I was talking about the average labourer, not you and myself.
Sorry, but I've got no sympathy! Not that I wish people to struggle in life, but there are plenty of things I want that I can't afford outright. Owning a PS3 or any other games console is a privilege, not a right, especially on day one when it's the most expensive it will ever be.

A7

Supreme Veteran
Apr 19, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I respect that opinion of yours like many others you hold even when I may or may not agree with it. Everything is obtainable one way or another it depends on what one is willing to do. I just don't see major sales even with the launch of the PS3 here in Oz but in the US, UK, Japan that's a different factor mainly due to population.

Graham

like.no.other
Dec 3, 2005
Thank you A7MAD, and I respect yours too. When you look at the literal price of the PS3 relative to average earnings, Australia may look to get the worse deal, but gaming really is a small part of life (well, it is for me now!), and there are many, many other things that I consider much more important. Indeed, people can just wait until the price drops, and while it might not be "fair", it's not "fair" that I couldn't afford a Golf R32 and had to settle for a Golf GTi instead! :lol:

C

C0Rkn0T

The swiss price is a bit hight than the australian price.

not cool

Smily0012 said:
Euro is more or less the same as a dollar.
1 usd = 0.7727 euro http://www.xe.com/

in between these there is a lot of difference.

but what kind of dolarls did you mean?

anyway... what even the price is I am still going to buy a PS3 but probably not at launch.

stanlives

Apprentice
May 11, 2006
i guess this whole arguement will never stop.... but one thing we all can agree on is that nov 17 is a long time away (164 days even).

now whereever u are - if u work it out its not that much to put 5 or 10 bucks (or whatever it works out to be in pounds, euros or dinas) every day into a money box.

for me 5 or 10 bucks every day is relatively nothing and i am a uni student with many many bills to pay and only a part time job keeping the credit card alive... just the next time u go out - avoid buying that magazine at the train station or extra drink at lunch or that late night kebab....

its easy to save if you want the ps3 that much...

shug7272

Dedicated Member
Oct 31, 2005
www.testmy.net
Boogie Woogie said:
You Aussies ?? What about us New Zealanders ???

The damn thing costs more than my freakin' car . :lol: Ok , ok so my car is a Piece Of ____ but still , daaaaamn .

That means if i want games with my PS3 i'm gonna have to fork out over $1300 (thats with 3 games) for my PS3 .

Oh Dear God :shock:
Piece of shit or not my gosh. That is getting outta hand. I hope Sony isnt screwing up.

Carsonal

Elite Sage
Jun 3, 2006
I'm working my butt off just to afford the console alone.
But i say, if you can afford it on launch date, get it.

Carsonal

Elite Sage
Jun 3, 2006
this is sony's way of punishing the convicts that started your country (those of you that dont know, australia was used to store british prisoners
So?
Doesnt that make the history of the country more cool?
William Buckley, Chopper Reed and the Kelly gang are interesting national icons.

A

Aza

I knew about this nearly a month ago.
Yes indeedy we aussies get royally f***ed by sony with the price.
In fact I know a place I could get 2 premium 360's for the price of a 60gb PS3.

So I hardly doubt anyone but the extreme PS fans and those who dont mind getting in dept will be picking up a PS3 on the aus launch.

I plan on getting mine in december when hopefully a good deal will be around and I'll actually have the $1000 + extra that I'm going to need.