AVI video on the PS3 how?

May 10, 2008
Hi Guys:

How do I get a video file that is AVI to play on the PS3? What format is recognized besides Divx?
Basically I want to watch some episodes of Top Gear on my TV instead of my computer, and transfer it via a USB stick. (BBC Canada cuts out too much of the show, and is a year behind) How can I do this?
I have a Mac if that matters.
Thanks for the help.

SonyJunkie

Gaming Guru
May 14, 2006
I watch AVI files on my PS3 all the time. Just watched the new ep. of Family Guy last night on my PS3. I have like 40 movies that are in AVI format and they work fine.

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Sugar Land, TX
[QUOTE="SonyJunky6191, post: 0]I watch AVI files on my PS3 all the time. Just watched the new ep. of Family Guy last night on my PS3. I have like 40 movies that are in AVI format and they work fine.[/quote]

Problem is AVI actually supports multiple codec's. The original being Motion JPEG (u-law and PCM streams), this is what PS3 supports. Some people do things like put MPEG streams in .avi and the AVI players support it, but it's not the original .avi format and the PS3 doesn't support it.

TAZ427

Jul 22, 2008
Many avi's...especially those that you might download use codecs that aren't supported by the PS3. Another one is Xvid.

SonyJunkie

Gaming Guru
May 14, 2006
[QUOTE="FronzDan, post: 3519813]Many avi's...especially those that you might download use codecs that aren't supported by the PS3. Another one is Xvid.[/quote]

All the stuff I download is AVI and all are in MPEG 4 codec and work perfectly fine.

HaTriX

Elite Guru
Sep 26, 2007
[QUOTE="SonyJunky6191, post: 3519874]All the stuff I download is AVI and all are in MPEG 4 codec and work perfectly fine.[/quote]

You don't seem to be understanding. If you know the person aXXo, you should know that all his releases are in AVI format. They ALL work on the ps3. How ever, most the anime i watch is in AVI, but is encoded with a different stream, and therefor doesn't work on the PS3.

higrob24

Dedicated Member
Oct 25, 2006
Think of AVI as a ZIP file.

Your computer may be able to read ZIP files and open it.
But inside the ZIP file, a pdf file.

with out the right software (adobe in this case) you cant read the pdf.

AVI is a bit like that, it is a wrapper.
The PS3 can open the wrapp but it might not be able to read the film inside unless its in one of the supported codecs.

Nov 19, 2008
PS3 Codec Support
Video: MPG, MP4, AVI, DivX (except v3.11), AVCHD, WMV
Audio: WAV, MP3, AAC, ATRAC, WMA Photo: JPEG, BMP, GIF, TIFF, PNG

A

Aussie_Ocka

@ wunderless, Before you go converting anything and wasting your time,update your firmware to latest version,you might be surprised how this helps,if it doesn't I use to convert them to mpeg1 or 2.
But since updating my firmware I don't need to convert anything.Hope this helps:)

:confused: While I'm here, someone might be able to help me.
Is there a way to shuffle playback of videos, same as I use in my music,because I have 100's of Music vids and want to play them shuffle or random :confused:

Oct 13, 2007
[QUOTE="hatrix, post: 0]You don't seem to be understanding. If you know the person aXXo, you should know that all his releases are in AVI format. They ALL work on the ps3. How ever, most the anime i watch is in AVI, but is encoded with a different stream, and therefor doesn't work on the PS3.[/quote]

that cant be true, i downloaded axxo's wall-e and 21 and both dont work, i get "this data type is not supported" error. is it something im doing wrong? i heard renaming the videos can stop this

Michio

Apprentice
Jun 13, 2008
If you dont mind doing this you can prolly watch your avi files. Use a streaming program such as tversity and when you attempt to play the file on the ps3 from your computer it should use your computers codecs to decode or play the files perfectly on your ps3 that way.

Nov 10, 2008
you may use Nidesoft video converter to convert your avi files,this converter can convert between almost all popular video and audio formats in high quality at fast speed. I use it to convert all my videos and it works perfectly for me. you may free download it here and have a try:
http://www.nidesoft.com/video-converter.html
hope this information is helpful to u

Dec 14, 2008
i also watch top gear. make sure you get K-lite codecs and install them i had to do this with certain video to get them to work on the PS3