Bad graphics, automated animations, and that disconnected feeling in first-person games

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Someone else understands! Also, an excuse to post a funny video by Dunkey.

Last edited:

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
The worst is lens flare and camera imperfections in FPS games.... The name is kinda of self explanatory "First" "Person"....

Last time i checked my eyeballs weren't camera's with glass lenses...

^This kinda makes my eyes itch looking at it... like, just rub your eyes guy!

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I would like your post but the forums aren't allowing me to do so for whatever reason. There were multiple things that bothered me about Battlefield 3 though.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
You do get some sort of a lens flare in a regular eye, but I find more a brigh orb with a star shape and it is never ever hexagonal.
Yeah, and even then you don't see it all the time. Like I don't really think there's such a thing as night-time lens flare (the kind you see in Battlefield 3).

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
The worst is lens flare and camera imperfections in FPS games.... The name is kinda of self explanatory "First" "Person"....

Last time i checked my eyeballs weren't camera's with glass lenses...

^This kinda makes my eyes itch looking at it... like, just rub your eyes guy!
.....what game is this from? It could that he might be wearing something....maybe...?

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
.....what game is this from? It could that he might be wearing something....maybe...?
You would hope so. But since style seems to trump function, i'd probably wager style also trumps practicality:

Can't put it past the battlefield series to keep things real though :geek:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I'm sure I mentioned this before but Battlefield 3 (and most first-person shooters) continue to have a problem with scaling, specifically that they don't set up a boundary when you're close to a wall, vehicle, or a body that's lying on the ground. It is a gaming pet peeve of mine to see literally everything that isn't the player character and attached weapon grow larger. I noticed it again in a preview for Far Cry 5; the player character is hanging out the passenger side of a truck and it just looks wrong.

It's like the camera is really there but the player character isn't. Not sure what else to call it but a "disconnected feeling" with first-person games.

Last edited: