Been paid by my work, don't work there anymore

Shaunyac

Master Guru
Dec 24, 2007
Wayles.
I just check my bank balance and I've been paid £404 by Sainsbury's, considering I haven't worked there for a month that's pretty weird.

I was owed unpaid overtime and tax but it was more like £200-300 not £400, so does anyone know what I should do? Shall I wait a while and if they don't say anything keep it or shall I phone them up?

The last couple of week, I've kept onto them about the 28 hours they hadn't paid me and the fact that I got taxed but I thought it was down to the tax office to claim that back..

Any help is appreciated and +rep. :dunce

Shaunyac

Master Guru
Dec 24, 2007
Wayles.
I'm hoping since they're such a big company they won't notice or won't be bothered to contact me for it back, I'll wait about 2 weeks and see if anything has happened.

squirrelbo1

young rich and tasteless
Jul 27, 2008
London
[QUOTE="dc89, post: 0]You start to worry if they pay you another £400 in a months time![/quote]

Yeah this!!

the £400 will be the 28 hours they owe you (how much you on) plus all the mergency tax they would have taken from you. it could quite easily be around £400 pounds mate.

V3nom

Provehito in Altum
Nov 17, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
[QUOTE="squirrelbo1, post: 0]Yeah this!!

the £400 will be the 28 hours they owe you (how much you on) plus all the mergency tax they would have taken from you. it could quite easily be around £400 pounds mate.[/quote]

Yeah, it probably is correct.

Just go crazy Shaun! Buy a brand new dress!

Shaunyac

Master Guru
Dec 24, 2007
Wayles.
I'm really tempted but I've seen a killer pair of heels!

It was £28 hours they owed me which would be £130 and they also taxed me £97 not including the unpaid overtime, it still wouldn't be near £400

Shaunyac

Master Guru
Dec 24, 2007
Wayles.
It was my second job but my tax got messed up on the first too, like I said, it's still too much considering how much I should have got with no tax and the right wage being paid.

Lethalmind

Fister Roboto
Mar 13, 2008
ISIS HQ
[QUOTE="scottscorpion, post: 0]only contact them if you have not been paid enough.
if they overpaid you , it's their loss, consider it a bonus.[/quote]
This. Screw them.

FdMstng99

Forum Sage
Feb 19, 2008
Maryland
[QUOTE="Shaunyac, post: 0]I just check my bank balance and I've been paid £404 by Sainsbury's, considering I haven't worked there for a month that's pretty weird.

I was owed unpaid overtime and tax but it was more like £200-300 not £400, so does anyone know what I should do? Shall I wait a while and if they don't say anything keep it or shall I phone them up?

The last couple of week, I've kept onto them about the 28 hours they hadn't paid me and the fact that I got taxed but I thought it was down to the tax office to claim that back..

Any help is appreciated and +rep. :dunce[/quote]

Just keep it in the bank for about a week to see if they contact you, if they don't then I would go out and spend it. ;)

efs5030

I'm A Monster!
May 30, 2008
www.divineknightsclan.com
[QUOTE="Shaunyac, post: 0]I just check my bank balance and I've been paid £404 by Sainsbury's, considering I haven't worked there for a month that's pretty weird.

Any help is appreciated and +rep. :dunce[/quote]
well since you have direct deposit you should go down there and pick up the "paycheck."(i think its just a paper that says how much you made and how much taxes were taken out etc...)

I wouldn't do nothing about it.
But if they overpaid you by like 100 euros don't even bring it up.

squirrelbo1

young rich and tasteless
Jul 27, 2008
London
[QUOTE="zoidy84, post: 0]have you gone into another job straight away?

If so the inland revenue will have a field day with you and slap a tax rebate on yo' ***! lol[/quote]

nope, hes uneployed at the moment.

A

AryanPS3

Keep the money in your account. Do not spend the money, becuase if before 30 days or so they contact you and notice their mistake their going to want it back.

Shaunyac

Master Guru
Dec 24, 2007
Wayles.
We didn't have holidays in our contract but it said something about holiday hours cannot be taken for days off but will be cahsed @ the end of your contract...

Pez_555

Master Guru
Feb 3, 2006
yea my guess is that it is holiday pay. most places (if not all) pay your holiday pay on your last payslip. so the hours you have earnt for holiday whilst working have been added to the last payslip.

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
I can't speak for how it works in the UK, but here if you're allowed any form of vacation, or holiday time you would recieve pay for then you are given that amount upon leaving your job.

The amount you're given here is calculated with a formula using the number of scheduled hours you've worked based on the past year.. If you never missed a day then you'd be paid the equivalent of a full day's pay for any day you take as vacation.

Anyway I'd keep that amount in your bank and wait a month. It's yours after that. Make sure you go and get your pay stub though just to be sure you were paid the right amount. You could have just thought wrong.

adz1992

Elite Member
Nov 30, 2005
[QUOTE="Shaunyac, post: 0]It was my second job but my tax got messed up on the first too, like I said, it's still too much considering how much I should have got with no tax and the right wage being paid.[/quote]

Not sure if anyones told you, but there is nothing they can do, if they have overpaid you, the bank would have to contact you and you would have to agree to give the money back, as they willingly gave it to you, no fraud etc, its a grey area in law, if they contact you, give it them back, if they don't, who cares? you got more money :lol: