Been thinking of getting one with Fire Emblem and Pokemon X.. but..

Fenix

Elite Sage
Aug 19, 2007
Ontario, Canada
So apparently some people want to get me a PS4 for Christmas, which sadly means no launch day console for me but I now have spare cash. For whatever reason I've been thinking about getting a handheld, and since Vita Memory Cards are still too much for me.. I'm been seriously considering getting my first Nintendo Handheld since the GameBoy Colour. Of course I haven't been keeping up on handhelds and so I have some questions.
-Just to clarify, the 3DS uses a regular old SD card for a memory card right? I dont need to go out and buy anything extra?
-Is the 3DS XL the latest revision, not counting the 2DS, or anything I need to know regarding getting the "newest"?

-If I do end up getting a 3DS, what are some "must have" games?
-I want to get Fire Emblem: Awakening, how good is it? What is it best compared too, and can someone thats never played one enjoy it?
-For some reason the last few days I've wanted to play a Pokemon game, which I haven't played one since Crystal, which one of the latest versions has the cooler Pokemon or "exclusive feature"? For whatever reason I'm contemplating getting X.

robvandam111

Master Poster
Mar 11, 2010
Miami, Fl
I recommend an 3DS XL. You'll end up with a 4gb SD memory stick instead of a 2gb. I've never played Fire Emblem but a lot of my handheld friends back in the day REALLY enjoy it. Pokemon is an all time classic, whether if its version Y or X, you'll love it if you remember playing old Pokemon games; its current gen game with incredible amount content. I got X because of the blue line. When I first played Pokemon, I ended up having Blue; Red, and Yellow version. The only that was completed was blue but then my file got corrupted and when generation three was released I got Sapphire version and from generation 4 Diamond version.

Sylar

Elite Sage
Aug 30, 2008
UK
I would always recommend getting the 3DS XL. as games look so much better on the larger screen and it's such a difference compared to the regular 3DS, and some games worth getting are Animal Crossing, Mario Kart 7 and Pokémon X/Y.

I can't really offer much more as I mainly buy handheld games for the vita

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I have the blue and black 3DS XL and as someone new to the Fire Emblem series, Fire Emblem: Awakening is my favorite 3DS title so I would definitely recommend picking it up. However, it is not the first game I've played from Intelligent Systems - that would be Advance Wars, which I'm hoping they'll revisit in the future.

Fenix

Elite Sage
Aug 19, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Really delayed response, but I've been waiting for the Nintendo 3DS XL Legend of Zelda Bundle to be announced. I got a really bad impulse buying problem, and I think I'm going to go and preorder it later day.

[QUOTE="F34R, post: 6224049]Must have:

Pokemon X/Y
Mario Kart
Luigi Mansion
DK Country 3d
Super Mario 3d
Paper Mario StickerStar
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3d[/QUOTE]

Have you played the earlier paper mario games? How does it stack up? Luigi's Mansion is on my "must have list" now, with Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3d :p

[QUOTE="Blacksite, post: 6224088]I have the blue and black 3DS XL and as someone new to the Fire Emblem series, Fire Emblem: Awakening is my favorite 3DS title so I would definitely recommend picking it up. However, it is not the first game I've played from Intelligent Systems - that would be Advance Wars, which I'm hoping they'll revisit in the future.[/QUOTE]

Good to know that game is good for folks new to the series.. lol

[QUOTE="The Black Wolf, post: 6224205]If you like Kingdom Hearts, you may want to check out Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance.[/QUOTE]

I'd get that.. but I have a feeling it'll be on PS3 or PS4 sometime before KH3 is released. But this DOES give me a nice backup if it doesnt release by then :)