Best Buy Employee and PS3 DVD Upscaling

takuya

Superior Member
Dec 17, 2006
www.tupeck.com
I ask because I was in Best Buy today with a friend/co-worker buying some stuff for our office. We stopped to take a look at the BluRay section and the HDTV's when one of the sales girls came up and tried to pitch the BR player. When she looked at me, I told her that I already had a PS3 and her response was 'but this will upscale your DVD's also!' To which I responded that the PS3 upscales DVD's and has for quite some time. When exactly (what firmware and date) was DVD upscaling added? I seem to remember it being around for quite some time now, at least since last summer...I find it rediculous that sales people in places like that really dont know/learn about what they are selling. She looked at me like I was stupid and didn't know what I was talking about when I told her and I could definitely tell that she didn't believe me because of the way spoke about it. When I told her that the PS3 upscaled, she said 'oh, yours does huh?' as if other people's didn't. Basically, update the firmware and use HDMI and it will automatically upscale, wont it (as long as the video settings are correct)?

I hear stories about Gamestop and Best Buy employees being like this and I don't mind that people don't know this stuff, but I really felt like she was treating me like an idiot who didn't know what he was talking about when I mentioned that the PS3 upscales...

RxForPain

Super Elite
Nov 22, 2007
Louisiana
Your not alone with this encounter and im sure it wont be the last time either. You should have gone to the manager about that hahaha.

The answer to your question is yes.

CodenameD

Dedicated Member
Dec 16, 2007
PS3 upscales on hdmi, unfortunately i'm using component and it wont upscale through component for me on copy written commercial dvd's. :oops::cry:

CodenameD

Dedicated Member
Dec 16, 2007
[QUOTE="takuya, post: 0]I ask because I was in Best Buy today with a friend/co-worker buying some stuff for our office. We stopped to take a look at the BluRay section and the HDTV's when one of the sales girls came up and tried to pitch the BR player. When she looked at me, I told her that I already had a PS3 and her response was 'but this will upscale your DVD's also!' To which I responded that the PS3 upscales DVD's and has for quite some time. When exactly (what firmware and date) was DVD upscaling added? I seem to remember it being around for quite some time now, at least since last summer...I find it rediculous that sales people in places like that really dont know/learn about what they are selling. She looked at me like I was stupid and didn't know what I was talking about when I told her and I could definitely tell that she didn't believe me because of the way spoke about it. When I told her that the PS3 upscaled, she said 'oh, yours does huh?' as if other people's didn't. Basically, update the firmware and use HDMI and it will automatically upscale, wont it (as long as the video settings are correct)?

I hear stories about Gamestop and Best Buy employees being like this and I don't mind that people don't know this stuff, but I really felt like she was treating me like an idiot who didn't know what he was talking about when I mentioned that the PS3 upscales...[/quote]
Man these days sales people are useless. I just read up myself and then get what I want. When I bought my PS3, some idiot told me that it overheats severe;y and that i'd be wasting money buying one. Luckily i read up on the 40gb model and knew he was on some bs. But obnoxious sales people are just part of the game. I blame commission personally.

Bigdoggy

Master Guru
Jan 24, 2008
A lot of places have those kind of employees. hell, I have went to Guitar Center and some of the employees there don't know anything about guitar's, keyboard, cabinets, heads, or anything for that matter.

Shinder's was really bad. Shinders was a place where you get collector baseball cards, football cards, hockey cards, comic books. They did have some good ones that were worth a lot, but the employees didn't know nothing about that. When you go in to do a trade or a sale, they didn't know what the hell they were doing.

gigadigit

Apprentice
Dec 25, 2006
When I was waiting in line to buy a Wii, the guy next to me was telling other people that ps3 bluray writes on the disk and only that ps3 can play that bluray disk. I was telling him that it's not true... that I can play my ps3 games on my brother's. He didn't want to believe me.

Illumin

Dedicated Member
Nov 14, 2006
Long Beach, CA
You won't get that crap from the media people at my Best Buy. Now, if someone from another department is walking by and decides to do their best to be helpful, you may not get the best information. However, myself, Media and most of our Home theatre/Magnolia will properly inform our customers.

VayMasters86

Dedicated Member
Sep 13, 2007
I was looking at PS3 games in my local best but, and some lady was with a "sales associate"(still a floor guy), he told her that the X360 could play blu-ray also and was the cheapst blu-ray player on the market. I wasn't fast enough to stop myself from say very loudly BULLS***! as I turned to them. It was one of those things where you hear something from across the room, and just impulsively react.

I told her where he was wrong(on every point that I knew about) and as I was leaving the store I saw her buying a PS3. :)

mcav

Elite Guru
Jan 12, 2007
[QUOTE="VayMasters86, post: 0]I was looking at PS3 games in my local best but, and some lady was with a "sales associate"(still a floor guy), he told her that the X360 could play blu-ray also and was the cheapst blu-ray player on the market. I wasn't fast enough to stop myself from say very loudly BULLS***! as I turned to them. It was one of those things where you hear something from across the room, and just impulsively react.

I told her where he was wrong(on every point that I knew about) and as I was leaving the store I saw her buying a PS3. :)[/quote]

Bravo... you have to wonder why complete idiots like that have jobs. Minimum wage is too much for them!

Oct 19, 2006
This reminds me of before the PS3 was launched and I was in my local Best Buy looking at the BR Players, just wanting to see how good 1080p looked. When the sales associate tried to sell me one, I told him that I was waiting for the PS3 to launch. He then told me that the PS3 couldn't even decode or output a 1080p signal. When I argued with him, he told me he knew this as a fact, because he had spoken with a Sony tech about it. I just shook my head and reminded myself that these guys get little to no training on this stuff, as I walked out of the store.

Tutankhamun

Ultimate Veteran
Aug 2, 2006
twitter.com
yeah it's the same everywhere people that work with games are fanboys some times, in my education you need to work a couple of months and i have work on my Game store in sweden, the people there are really nice and all but they are 360 fanboys who knows nothing about the ps3, one dude didn't newed the ps3 version of GH3 had downloads!?!
And when a customer comes to ask about the PS3 i haft to answer because i can alot more of the ps3 then them, heck i know more about the 360 to!

Kyo.

Master Guru
Feb 1, 2007
[QUOTE="gigadigit, post: 0]When I was waiting in line to buy a Wii, the guy next to me was telling other people that ps3 bluray writes on the disk and only that ps3 can play that bluray disk. I was telling him that it's not true... that I can play my ps3 games on my brother's. He didn't want to believe me.[/quote]

im storemanager of a blockbuster store and get heaps of un-informed people telling me really stupid (untrue) information.
like your story i had a couple tell me how the ps3 is **** because it writes to the blu-ray disc and is then locked to that console.

i couldnt believe them i thought they were joking at first.

then this other lady told me her 360 plays blu-ray, after trying to tell her for 10minutes it wouldnt no way never. she ended up hiring a bluray and returning it because it didnt play!
*shakes head*

back on topic, i walked into eb the other month asking them for a set of AV cables for my psp slim, they told me they were out but composite would work. i told them i didnt have a HD-TV and i needed AV cables. he insisted the composite will work! i couldnt believe it and just left.

sj808

Apprentice
Dec 26, 2007
I'm waiting for my moment to cuss someone the f*ck out for false information.

My dad had some guest over the house and took them to the theatre room to demonstrate the 7.1 surround sound (he loves to show it off). Well the guest's son saw my ps3 in there and started bashin' it.. talking about how they have to release a ps4 soon, all the games suck, sales are horrible, I shoulda got a 360... blah blah.

Obviously I wasn't there... because I woulda verbally beat the sh*t out of him.

M

MEMEROOT

goodness you guys take these things to heart..... as has been said these people are not on the highest wage, they are not the brightest bulbs in the box and they also probably dont spend their time reading up on ps3forums.

further more some of you are also a little on the factualy incorrect side. composite cables do work on a non HD tv... I think you are thinking of component and out of interest AV cables are audio visual cables and is a generic name for all cables that carry audio and visulal info, that would include composite and hdmi for instance....

and thanks to CodenameD for the best info on the thread.

Aug 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Kyo-Unit, post: 0]back on topic, i walked into eb the other month asking them for a set of AV cables for my psp slim, they told me they were out but composite would work. i told them i didnt have a HD-TV and i needed AV cables. he insisted the composite will work! i couldnt believe it and just left.[/quote]

Do you mean they said "component" would work, not composite? Composite is the yellow RCA plug that carries SD video. Component is the three RCA cables that are Red, Green, and Blue, and carry analog HD video signals.

"AV cables" is not a defined term. I think what you probably mean by that is one of the three wire cables with the yellow composite video cable and stereo audio cables (red and white).

If they said "composite" that's exactly what you need. If they actually said component.... then you were right to say they wouldn't work (although some SD TVs can still take video signals over component, usually just 480i)

CodenameD

Dedicated Member
Dec 16, 2007
[QUOTE="Bigdoggy, post: 0]hell, I have went to Guitar Center and some of the employees there don't know anything about guitar's, keyboard, cabinets, heads, or anything for that matter. [/quote]
You aint lying on that one. You better know everything about what you see when you walk in there. I remember one girl there got fired for showing off keyboard synths that werent Korg triton or Yamaha Motif.

B

BAMitUp

that is why i plan to get a job at CC or Best Buy just to equal out the idiot factor.... don't worry guys i know my stuff haha... PM just to ask me a question.

CodenameD

Dedicated Member
Dec 16, 2007
Again I blame commission too, alot on pressure on people to keep their jobs or make money buy selling you on stuff. Not enough emphasis on properly educating or training them to provide customer service rather than sales.

dnut24

Dedicated Member
Jan 31, 2007
I don't see anything wrong with what she said. I mean it's not common knowledge for people outside the PS3 world to know it upscales DVD. this was a feature updated later by firmware. As opposed to a Blu-ray player that on the box says "upscales DVD's". I mean at least she had enough sense to know that. I hate ignorant sales people also when it comes to obvious things, but added features via firmware thats not posted on the product box description doesn't seem to be a lack of knowledge on the person.

greeble

Apprentice
Aug 27, 2007
[QUOTE="sj808, post: 0]I'm waiting for my moment to cuss someone the f*ck out for false information.

My dad had some guest over the house and took them to the theatre room to demonstrate the 7.1 surround sound (he loves to show it off). Well the guest's son saw my ps3 in there and started bashin' it.. talking about how they have to release a ps4 soon, all the games suck, sales are horrible, I shoulda got a 360... blah blah.

Obviously I wasn't there... because I woulda verbally beat the sh*t out of him.[/quote]

Its too bad your dad didn't load up some Uncharted to shut that kid up. (You do have Uncharted right?)

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
He job was to sell Blu-Ray players (most likely TVs and other electronics). Games are always kept separate from the electronics much like cameras and cell phones are. Unless she has and plays with a PS3 regularly on her own time she has no real reason to know. She does what she's told for her minimum wage+commission.

Sep 10, 2007
The people working in the Best Buy's around here don't seem to care enough to try to B.S. you anymore. It's hard enough to get one of them to help you or ring up your purchase!

WaspMonkey

Forum Elder
Aug 16, 2007
Give her a break. I worked at Food Lion (a local grocery store) and I certainly didn't know everything about all the food in the store. I worked at a Eckerd (pharmacy) and didn't know everything about the medicine. I worked at a FYE and didn't know all the artists in the store. There is a reason everyone can get these jobs. Because they are jobs and not careers. She was wrong. Get over it. If I worked at a Best Buy and were asked about a 360 I would be on the same playing field as she was about the PS3.

CodenameD

Dedicated Member
Dec 16, 2007
[QUOTE="WaspMonkey, post: 0]Give her a break. I worked at Food Lion (a local grocery store) and I certainly didn't know everything about all the food in the store. I worked at a Eckerd (pharmacy) and didn't know everything about the medicine. I worked at a FYE and didn't know all the artists in the store. There is a reason everyone can get these jobs. Because they are jobs and not careers. She was wrong. Get over it. If I worked at a Best Buy and were asked about a 360 I would be on the same playing field as she was about the PS3.[/quote]
I think you're arguing against something he's not saying. He's saying that if you're wrong, dont treat the customer as if they are idiots or try to sell them on your bad info like you're a guru. I doubt her being wrong is the problem. But her treating him like he doesnt know ish and being wrong is. Its the obnoxious, rude, high horse element that most people are speaking on. If you take a job and intend to sell somebody on details of the product, then learn them. Any job i took i did, because you screw people over with bad info.

WaspMonkey

Forum Elder
Aug 16, 2007
[QUOTE="CodenameD, post: 0]I think you're arguing against something he's not saying. He's saying that if you're wrong, dont treat the customer as if they are idiots or try to sell them on your bad info like you're a guru. I doubt her being wrong is the problem. But her treating him like he doesnt know ish and being wrong is. Its the obnoxious, rude, high horse element that most people are speaking on. If you take a job and intend to sell somebody on details of the product, then learn them. Any job i took i did, because you screw people over with bad info.[/quote]
Wasn't referring to the OP directly but the other posts who dictated that 'they' would do the job 'right.' As the OP mentioned the DVD upscaling came with a firmware upgrade, its not on the box of the PS3. So I understand her incredulity with him thinking it did upscale dvds when nothing on the PS3 states this. (Perhaps a problem Sony should address)
Imagine this: You go to buy a PSP and ask about playing PS3 games on them. Most employees would look at you like you are stupid. However, you can do it with some (i.e. Lair).
My point was that people need to give her some slack, she makes (probably) $8-10 an hour and no commission (unless it is dependent on Best Buys) so I wouldn't expect her to study this stuff in her spare time.
Next time you in a Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, etc. ask them to explain Photoshop in detail. See what kind of response you get. (Make sure to ask them to explain the different color profiles embedded in the program and the difference they make in terms of a printing matrix.):rolleyes:

A

AFSOCOM

Alot of the Best Buy associates by me are useless. Just the other day I was there and one of the associates still believed that MGS4 was somehow making its way onto the 360. I told him he's kidding himself and walked away.

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
[QUOTE="takuya, post: 0]I ask because I was in Best Buy today with a friend/co-worker buying some stuff for our office. We stopped to take a look at the BluRay section and the HDTV's when one of the sales girls came up and tried to pitch the BR player. When she looked at me, I told her that I already had a PS3 and her response was 'but this will upscale your DVD's also!' To which I responded that the PS3 upscales DVD's and has for quite some time. When exactly (what firmware and date) was DVD upscaling added? I seem to remember it being around for quite some time now, at least since last summer...I find it rediculous that sales people in places like that really dont know/learn about what they are selling. She looked at me like I was stupid and didn't know what I was talking about when I told her and I could definitely tell that she didn't believe me because of the way spoke about it. When I told her that the PS3 upscaled, she said 'oh, yours does huh?' as if other people's didn't. Basically, update the firmware and use HDMI and it will automatically upscale, wont it (as long as the video settings are correct)?

I hear stories about Gamestop and Best Buy employees being like this and I don't mind that people don't know this stuff, but I really felt like she was treating me like an idiot who didn't know what he was talking about when I mentioned that the PS3 upscales...[/quote]

Yes, it upconverts DVD's. Quality is mediocre on the upconvert, HD-DVD players do a better job at this (this is based on my comparison's of many upconverting players and comparison of my HD-A3 and my PS3 in which the HD-A3 is far superior to the PS3 in upconverting.)

Best Buy or most stores of the type do not train or really provide incentives to their employees to really know what's going on.

I constantly hear them providing incorrect information when I'm in their stores. I use to try to correct them, but many would either try to correct me or ignore what I would say, so I gave up doing this.

TAZ427

Jan 13, 2008
I agree with the posts that the sales people aren't really trained or kept abreast on the latest technology, so that if they aren't of the kind that read up on their spare time, they are most likely selling products they don't know much about. Thats a fine statement, and in fact a fair one. I think the problem, at least for me, is that they *think* they know and furthermore, try to sell you on something based on bad information. There's a statement I try to live by: don't speak on what I don't know.

"Low salary" and "poor training" aren't excuses for this. Speak on what you know or keep quiet.

I had a VERY similar experience in Best Buy when I was buying my PS3. I went there to see what an upconverted SD DVD would look like on the PS3. An older gentlemen was there looking at a PS3 as well (for a BD player). He was asking a few questions. I had to constantly correct the kid about what the PS3 could and could not do. Then the man asked about seeing an SD DVD for the upconversion, the kid was like, "The PS3 doesn't upconvert." This was less then a month ago, right after the Warner decision. The kid did know about the Warner decisions, and was in fact surprised that we did also. He said, "Oh you've heard about that too?!" Finally he takes over to the TV section to show us an SD DVD on the player. He owns the PS3 and didn't know how to work the DVD/BD playback. We were asking questions like "Can you verify it is upconverting?" but he did not know how to bring up the screen to see the resolution. He calls over the lady who works that section, who looked at us all crazy when we asked her to demonstrate the video capabilities of the BD player being sold in her section. It was just a very frustrating experience. I do my research and use forums such as this to get the right information, but its still frustrating to go in a store to actually see the features you've researched, and the folks can't help with that. To top it off, to have the sales person give me false information is the kicker.

I already know that you don't know, so its better for you to say, "I don't know" then to give misinformation. Just say, "I don't really know how it works" or "I don't know what upscaling is" instead of saying, "No it doesn't upscale" just because you don't know what upscaling is.