Best Games of 2017 Awards by PlayStation Universe

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I agree with a lot except Best Visuals. I think Horizon Zero Dawn and Assassin's Creed Origins both beat the crap out of Persona 5 in visuals.

I also feel best dlc goes to Horizon.
Game of the year for me is either Horizon or Origins.
Best remaster for me is also Yakuza Kiwami

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Game of the year - Persona 5 (one of the best games in years)
New IP - Horizon Zero Dawn
Remaster - Yakuza Kiwami
OST of the year - Persona 5 but it's close between that and Nier Automata.
Best JPRG - Persona 5 but Tales of Berseria and Nier Automata weren't far behind.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
I strongly disagree with nier being best action advanture game, definitely nioh deserves it.
Nier doesn't have weapons at all
Nier doesn't have fighting mechanic at all
Nier doesn't have up to date visuals at all
Nioh beats Nier in all these catagories easily and by far.

And I haven't played Persona yet but it is really interesting persona beats Horizon about visuals.

Game of the year given to Horizon is my biggest objection. The game has best visuals and best bow in any game. They give a new meaning to it. Aside from visuals and mechanics the game is lame. NPCies , story are the most boring thing I have ever seen. There are probably no other game with such an amazing enviroment and world that is empty.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
While Persona isn't particularly my cup of tea, i feel there may have been a bit of bias in this as Persona walked away with far more categories than it probably should have... not to say its a bad game, but it's literally

-Best Visuals​
-Best RPG​
-Best Soundtrack​
-GOTY​

It looks like any category it could be entered into, it was entered into, and just outright won them... jus' sayin'

I disagree strongly with the best visuals.

While i don't take anything away from Persona's Cell-shading... it doesn't hold a candle to the likes of GT Sport, Horizon, or even the newest AC entry.

All three have quality from a broad perspective, all the way down to the small little details. AC isn't really my kind of game, but you can't deny the impact it's visuals have on your experience playing the game. It puts you in a world you have no concept of and makes it feel believable (parkouring roof-top expert notwithstanding).

Horizon is just down right beautiful:

R

Rush3d

I loved Persona 5, it's hands down the best RPG in both PS4 and PS3 (in my opinion) but if it depended on me, the best visuals would have gone to Uncharted: Lost Legacy and the best Soundtrack to Nier Automata.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
I loved Persona 5, it's hands down the best RPG in both PS4 and PS3 (in my opinion) but if it depended on me, the best visuals would have gone to Uncharted: Lost Legacy and the best Soundtrack to Nier Automata.
I'd agree with Uncharted also for best visuals, and if not, certainly there is a vase for best DLC/expansion.

To use an MMO term to describe FFXIV... it's very meta. If you are a regular to final fantasy, it's probably appealing. But otherwise, it's not.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
I strongly disagree with nier being best action advanture game, definitely nioh deserves it.
Nier doesn't have weapons at all
Nier doesn't have fighting mechanic at all
Nier doesn't have up to date visuals at all
Nioh beats Nier in all these catagories easily and by far.

And I haven't played Persona yet but it is really interesting persona beats Horizon about visuals.

Game of the year given to Horizon is my biggest objection. The game has best visuals and best bow in any game. They give a new meaning to it. Aside from visuals and mechanics the game is lame. NPCies , story are the most boring thing I have ever seen. There are probably no other game with such an amazing enviroment and world that is empty.
I played the beta of Ni-oh I really enjoyed it and need to buy the game of the year edition. Yeah I enjoyed Horizon too the graphics were out of this world and enjoyed the game when I was playing it. But it's just more like feeling like playing it.

That's the drawback I think of open world games as well.
Graphics for award side of things I just think it's more about taste than anything it's more the Persona 5's style fitted really well with the setting of the game and how it is portrayed. Horizon was just downright beautiful some ways I just couldn't even describe it.

But overall there were a lot of good games that came out this year.

StevenW

General Manager
Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
To be fair, we do have a lot of Persona fans on staff! I think the visuals award is relative to what you think makes good visuals. HZD and Assassin's Creed look amazing, but then Persona 5 is unlike anything else and ultra-stylish and unique. Personally, I voted for HZD but there were more people who voted for Persona 5.

To clarify something about the awards voting, Persona, NieR, and Horizon in particular fought very closely in a bunch of categories. There were tie-breaks, one vote in it moments, and more. The only category Persona walked was best RPG.

Also, in every category, the staff gave their own individual pick as long as the game was relevant to that category. There were no set nominees, so that Persona 5 won visuals literally came down to enough people deciding that game's visual style was enough to earn a vote.

I personally voted for it because best visuals isn't just about technical fireworks, a great art style can do wonders for a game, and Persona 5 has a very distinct, very stylish look.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
I played the beta of Ni-oh I really enjoyed it and need to buy the game of the year edition. Yeah I enjoyed Horizon too the graphics were out of this world and enjoyed the game when I was playing it. But it's just more like feeling like playing it.

That's the drawback I think of open world games as well.
Graphics for award side of things I just think it's more about taste than anything it's more the Persona 5's style fitted really well with the setting of the game and how it is portrayed. Horizon was just downright beautiful some ways I just couldn't even describe it.

But overall there were a lot of good games that came out this year.
You should pick it up mate. I love souls games but it is brutal & merciless while nioh is a little, only a little bit easier, which makes it more playable. I finished last two souls games but that was tiring. In nioh if you farm a little it works better and you can be a ninja tool user& mage and one or two weapon user at the same time. This really helps alot. And this is close to impossible in any souls game.

Yea this year is amazing and this gen is getting better and better each day.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
You should pick it up mate. I love souls games but it is brutal & merciless while nioh is a little, only a little bit easier, which makes it more playable. I finished last two souls games but that was tiring. In nioh if you farm a little it works better and you can be a ninja tool user& mage and one or two weapon user at the same time. This really helps alot. And this is close to impossible in any souls game.

Yea this year is amazing and this gen is getting better and better each day.
Yeah I remember playing the beta I enjoyed playing Ni-Oh more than the Souls series due to the combat being more fast paced which reminded me of Ninja Gaiden with Souls difficultly(despite Ninja Gaiden and Ni-Oh being made from the same people). Souls was a slower in combat I found and not my cup of tea. Just that there's just been so many games releasing and I was thinking at the time I know that they are going to do a GOTY Edition I remember only just before it got announced they dropped the price of the original I was thinking of buying it then and week later they announced the GOTY Edition I was kinda like f***.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
Yeah I remember playing the beta I enjoyed playing Ni-Oh more than the Souls series due to the combat being more fast paced which reminded me of Ninja Gaiden with Souls difficultly(despite Ninja Gaiden and Ni-Oh being made from the same people). Souls was a slower in combat I found and not my cup of tea. Just that there's just been so many games releasing and I was thinking at the time I know that they are going to do a GOTY Edition I remember only just before it got announced they dropped the price of the original I was thinking of buying it then and week later they announced the GOTY Edition I was kinda like f***.
I don't know if we have the same sales with your psn region but it is dirty cheap eu store atm. I just picked up myself and on 4th area.;)

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
I don't know if we have the same sales with your psn region but it is dirty cheap eu store atm. I just picked up myself and on 4th area.;)
Yeah disk space storage i've been freeing up a lot recently with taking off Final Fantasy XV which was like 80GB+ I wanted to get a physical version of the game. Got Dot Hack on the sale recently but thinking of going GOTY Edition for Ni-Oh. Least it's on until the 20th of next month.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I kept thinking Resident Evil 7 released last year (when it was actually January 24th) because the Gold Edition released earlier this month.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
I personally voted for it because best visuals isn't just about technical fireworks, a great art style can do wonders for a game, and Persona 5 has a very distinct, very stylish look.
That's a fair enough stance, i personally think Valkyria Chronicles is one of the most beautiful games put to disk (and one of my top 5 games!), so the merits of a strong art style isn't lost on me.

However, It looks like there were a lot of Persona fans involved in the process, and i feel that should be put aside when voting for a broad spectrum of titles/genres. Horizon does stand head and shoulders above it's contemporaries. Here is a title that has taken the yard stick, and moved it forward considerably, in both visual fidelity and technical prowess. IMHO, Persona's artstyle has remained fairly constant (again, not to take anything away).

Additionally, while my main gripe is with the 'Best visual' category. Not to take anything away from Persona, again, but to touch on the point i raised above. It's soundtrack is also pretty similar to previous entries, we had some really great indie releases where the soundtrack was an integral part of the experience. For example: 'The Last days of June' had a beautiful score written for it. I've never played a persona game end to end, but the soundtrack (or at least the game loops) don't sound all that different (or particularly impactful). I know the article touches on the quality of soundtracks this year, however it doesn't really tell me (the reader) why PSU picked it save for being able to listen to it outside of the game...compare this to the next category down where we're given an actual in depth reason - even though pulled from elsewhere on PSU.

I'm just voicing my opinion on the matter, not trying to be personal or anything. I just disagree with the choice for best visuals is all, which it turn makes other categories Persona was in (would have no qualms about the 'best rpg') seem suspect.

Last edited:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
For me the best visuals are the game I took the most screenshots of while playing. Horizon and Origins caused me to take over 100 combined screenshots while playing. You know a game is stunning visually when that happens. Same with Uncharted Lost Legacy. I took probably another 40 screenshots of that game as well.