Best router for online gaming

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
IF you have been playing COD or Overwatch or Battlefield or whatever it may be and have suffered some ping spikes and stutters then this might be a video for you.
It discusses 3 quite high end routers costing between €180-€207 and all their features.

Unless on 56k then your download speed and upload has little effect on ping times. What does is connection saturation, like when multiple persons start watching netflix, downloading movies, syncing ipad/iphone to the cloud and so on, these routers aim to eliminate this.

[video=youtube;6erRRbaiAT0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6erRRbaiAT0[/video]

Last edited:

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
The best router for gaming is a direct Ethernet connection. Kind of a pain in the ass routing my internet through the walls to my room, but it's definitely worth it over a wireless connection.

Last edited:

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="robvandam111, post: 6526949]What do you guys think of the Orbi from Net Gear?[/QUOTE]
I've never even heard of it, but it looks awesome. 3 Gbps is pretty impressive for WiFi. I'll keep an eye on this when I move and have access to Fiber. It'll be nice to get fiber speeds through the air.

robvandam111

Master Poster
Mar 11, 2010
Miami, Fl
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6526951]I've never even heard of it, but it looks awesome. 3 Gbps is pretty impressive for WiFi. I'll keep an eye on this when I move and have access to Fiber. It'll be nice to get fiber speeds through the air.[/QUOTE]

I have a apple airport expess that was malfunctioning. Fortunately, my att modem has an built in router. Although would rather feel comfortable with another router. Saw the orbi at bestbuy and got me intrigued.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Been using the Orbi (thanks rob) for my gigabit internet and it's been working fantastic. I get about 700 Mbps over wifi anywhere in the house because of the Orbi's mesh network. Linksys has a similar setup called the Velop.

R

rakisseia

[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6525990]IF you have been playing COD or Overwatch or Battlefield or whatever it may be and have suffered some ping spikes and stutters then this might be a video for you.
It discusses 3 quite high end routers costing between €180-€207 and all their features.

Unless on 56k then your download speed and upload has little effect on ping times. What does is connection saturation, like when multiple persons start watching netflix, downloading movies, syncing ipad/iphone to the cloud and so on, these routers aim to eliminate this.

[video=youtube;6erRRbaiAT0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6erRRbaiAT0[/video][/QUOTE]

yeah its some costly but better service.