Best way to hook up a router to another router?

Fenix

Elite Sage
Aug 19, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Not PC gaming related but I wasn't sure where else to put it. What is the best way to hook a router to another router?

I live in a farm house that's been made into two "apartments", and now I more or less have the entire place. Downside? The front half doesn't get wifi signal and running cords throughout the place wouldn't really work. I read you're able to hook up a router to another router to extend the signal or whatever but I have no idea where to look for a good guide or how to start.

Current set up is Wireless Radio (I have wireless "point to point" internet) > Router > Cord to PC,PS4 / Wifi for Vita, 2 Phones and a laptop. I'd like both routers to have wifi.

Any techies round here manage to do such a thing?

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
[QUOTE="Fenix, post: 6531562]Not PC gaming related but I wasn't sure where else to put it. What is the best way to hook a router to another router?

I live in a farm house that's been made into two "apartments", and now I more or less have the entire place. Downside? The front half doesn't get wifi signal and running cords throughout the place wouldn't really work. I read you're able to hook up a router to another router to extend the signal or whatever but I have no idea where to look for a good guide or how to start.

Current set up is Wireless Radio (I have wireless "point to point" internet) > Router > Cord to PC,PS4 / Wifi for Vita, 2 Phones and a laptop. I'd like both routers to have wifi.

Any techies round here manage to do such a thing?[/QUOTE]

Look into mesh routers or whole-house routers. I recommend going with Google Wifi but there's plenty of options.

Google's (you need their app so you will need to have an iOS device or Andriod):
https://madeby.google.com/wifi/?utm...ampaign=wifi&dclid=CL24yILYidUCFZILNwodLJwAqw

Here is an article on them, showing all options as well:
http://www.pcmag.com/roundup/350795/the-best-wi-fi-mesh-network-systems

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2016
US
If the place i am setting the slave router up is a place that the Master router's signal goes off and comes on at times as the number of users increase, would the slave router also go off and come on due to the loss of connection from the master router