Beta Servers go down?

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Got dropped from the servers about 10min ago and can't get back in. Able to connect to PSN and internet, but can't get in right now.

Also, does anyone know if the Beta is locked down to the 1 Crucible event and Earth? I can see the moon mission but it's still locked, wasn't sure if it was because of something I've done?

I've gone through all the earth events (a few a second time on hard/higher level mobs) and I've done a lot of exploring.

Need to find more details about how fair the campaign extends to. It's been fun so far, but I've done most things solo.

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Yeah, not sure why I was having those issues. I had a solid 3hrs of play this morning. Maxed out to lvl 8 (beta cap), having fun exploring. Found a lot of different places going further below the surface where the mobs are so far above lvl 8 that they're immune to my weapons.

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
It was the Iron Banner Event, it opened up another Crucible game mode, it didn't scale everyone to an equal level, but allowed for peoples equipment and lvl to remain in effect. I think the maps were the same, at least the moon map I played in both game modes in the crucible. That said, I didn't play much in the crucible, partially because I suck at PvP events like this. Had a K/D ratio of about suck arse, LOL.

After a couple rounds of this, I got an invite from MajorCynik and we did a bit of exploring. Killed the spider for the third time. Tried to do one of the timed drills, didn't quite get the last item complete on time.

At one point MajorCynik pointed down into an area that I knew was full of Mobs way above our lvl (immune to ammo for lvl 8 capped guardian) I didn't have my headset on, so I went ahead and followed. Had a good laugh after having our arses handed to us in a couple seconds.

This brings up a good point though, and that is that there's more to explore on earth than what we can make it too in beta. Basically dungeons that go ever deeper. I found 3 such places in a couple hours of searching. Not to mention many other good areas to farm higher lvl mobs.

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
[QUOTE="TAZ427, post: 6361685]It was the Iron Banner Event, it opened up another Crucible game mode, it didn't scale everyone to an equal level, but allowed for peoples equipment and lvl to remain in effect. I think the maps were the same, at least the moon map I played in both game modes in the crucible. That said, I didn't play much in the crucible, partially because I suck at PvP events like this. Had a K/D ratio of about suck arse, LOL.

After a couple rounds of this, I got an invite from MajorCynik and we did a bit of exploring. Killed the spider for the third time. Tried to do one of the timed drills, didn't quite get the last item complete on time.

At one point MajorCynik pointed down into an area that I knew was full of Mobs way above our lvl (immune to ammo for lvl 8 capped guardian) I didn't have my headset on, so I went ahead and followed. Had a good laugh after having our arses handed to us in a couple seconds.

This brings up a good point though, and that is that there's more to explore on earth than what we can make it too in beta. Basically dungeons that go ever deeper. I found 3 such places in a couple hours of searching. Not to mention many other good areas to farm higher lvl mobs.[/QUOTE]
Did you manage to get into the cave bit? I did and got the Revive Ghost. I didn't die because the doughnuts of Knights fell off the ledge and killed themselves lol

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
[QUOTE="TidalPhoenix, post: 6362340]Did you manage to get into the cave bit? I did and got the Revive Ghost. I didn't die because the doughnuts of Knights fell off the ledge and killed themselves lol[/QUOTE]

I know I got at least 3 chests in caves, I think I got a ghost in one as well. I think I've collected a number of Ghosts, 2 on the base, and then several more while exploring (didn't count and I don't see anything in my profile indicating ghosts collected.) There's one at the far end of Russia where most mobs are > lvl 8 and you go through the ventilation into a large room full of lvl 1's protected by a couple spheres (there's at least two exploration missions going into this area to take out spheres) You can complete the mission at the entrance, but decided to go in and check the space out. There's a Ghost in there some place, and then IIRC another exit that takes you back through the area that you initially traversed after your Ghost had revived you, and got you inside, but you can't get back to being outside the wall which I wanted to do once I realized where I was. :distant:

I've found Ghosts in small little rooms scattered around Russia, there's one in a locker to the right of the 2nd mission's mini-boss area. You can easily get it in exploration mode. Not sure what value collecting dead Ghosts has, but I know there's a trophy for collecting 50 of them.

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="TAZ427, post: 6361685]After a couple rounds of this, I got an invite from MajorCynik and we did a bit of exploring. Killed the spider for the third time. Tried to do one of the timed drills, didn't quite get the last item complete on time.

This brings up a good point though, and that is that there's more to explore on earth than what we can make it too in beta. Basically dungeons that go ever deeper. I found 3 such places in a couple hours of searching. Not to mention many other good areas to farm higher lvl mobs.[/QUOTE]

That was a surprise that they were immune to shots but guess that's related to what's been said about relative weapon power etc.

Got a bit confused with the Explore mission. Is it supposed to be totally open-ended? Didn't seem to notice a point at which it ahd been completed, justs eemed to keep looking for those beacons and activating them.

I feel impelled though to get back in ASAP and see what else i can find. Can't wait till tomorrow evening after work! Saturday should be fun, don't see me getting much else done but Destiny tbh

edit: did find a few ghosts too, a couple of the gold chests also. Not sure about the other 3 alluded to by the Earth destination screen. 2/5 Gold Chests my tally says.

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
[QUOTE="MajorCynik_, post: 6362425]
Got a bit confused with the Explore mission. Is it supposed to be totally open-ended? Didn't seem to notice a point at which it ahd been completed, justs eemed to keep looking for those beacons and activating them.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you'll get a mission complete and whatever reward, but it flashes at the top of the screen and you may not have noticed ;) We actually completed several together before I had to quit to go grill some steaks. The green lights stop flashing when you have an active mission going on. That said, it looks like each beacon at least has several different missions at it. Not sure if they repeat or are exhaustive.

edit: did find a few ghosts too, a couple of the gold chests also. Not sure about the other 3 alluded to by the Earth destination screen. 2/5 Gold Chests my tally says.
I didn't notice this, I'll have to look. I Googled 'destiny gold chests' and found an IGN site showing where those gold chests are. I know I've found a couple of those specifically. They look the same as the random spawned chests which I've found. I've also found three big chests (like the one in the intro that gives you a large amount of glimmer), one's in the tunnel close to a switch back before you get to the valley that goes to the forgotten shores, that you have if you go in it from the bottom you can tell there are mobs up top but you can't get there from the bottom (at least I couldn't) you got to go across the valley climb the hill, jump the valley and come in from the top.

About midway through the valley to the forgotten shores, there's some lvl 11 knights, just to the right of them is a tunnel with a couple guys protecting another large chest.

It looks like the gold chests and the large chests are one time spawned items but there are several places around the map that other chests (look identical to gold chests) spawn. One spawned up in the rafters inside one of the entrances, I tried for a couple minutes to get to it but looks like I'm too big to jump into the area (beams in the way) and no other way into the space. I thought I took a pic of it but later when I check my pic's I didn't see it.

My best capture so far. The dead mob is just floating in mid-air.

Also, you're in the background, but note the objective, once it's completed we'll get the mission complete message and reward.

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="TAZ427, post: 6362433]Yeah, you'll get a mission complete and whatever reward, but it flashes at the top of the screen and you may not have noticed ;) ... it looks like each beacon at least has several different missions at it. Not sure if they repeat or are exhaustive.[/QUOTE]

Probably didn't notice. I do that on Battlefield, completely miss party and game invites cause i'm too sucked into the action :snicker

[QUOTE="TAZ427, post: 6362433]Also, you're in the background, but note the objective, once it's completed we'll get the mission complete message and reward.[/QUOTE]
Thanks man, i've never been captured before :snicker

Yeah, those chests, will have to check that IGN info out, did see something but didn't bother looking much at the time.

Maybe catch you later this week if you're on, time-zones permitting!