Bioshock update

Redman_DK

Master Poster
Nov 11, 2005
I had to download a patch/update for Bioshock today when I played it... But what did it do?

I first thought it was the widescreen patch, but there wasn't any difference there, then maybe it could have been for the subtitles that are no where near the dialogue. But it wasn't that either, anyone got an idea to what it is?

A

Andyourpoint

It was the widescreen patch and some peoples games were lagging twords the end this fixes it

Oct 24, 2006
[QUOTE="Andyourpoint, post: 0]It was the widescreen patch and some peoples games were lagging twords the end this fixes it[/quote]
Widescreen patch already? Good to see a developer who sees a problem and gets right on it.

law44uk

Apprentice
Jul 2, 2005
I'm getting some crazy lag from this update. Was getting it before, But when I first played the game I had no problems at all. What the hell is going on?

slpbaseb12

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2006
[QUOTE="law44uk, post: 0]I'm getting some crazy lag from this update. Was getting it before, But when I first played the game I had no problems at all. What the hell is going on?[/quote]

Yeah, I was getting some bad lag too. I got really worried, I thought I was getting RROD.

Redman_DK

Master Poster
Nov 11, 2005
Bioshock Xbox 360 patch causing problems?

If you're planning to enjoy a round of 2K Games' FPS that involves big men in diving suits and little girls with a macabre sense of fashion, Bioshock (Xbox 360, PC), on your Xbox 360, then you might want to sit up and pay attention. It seems a patch for the game that was recently released is causing all kinds of havoc on gameplay after its automatic download and installation, rendering the once silky-smooth experience into a glitch-filled and lag-infested ride. Ouch.

So what's the deal with the patch? No one knows for sure, but it's certainly causing panic amongst those who want to resume their Big Daddy-hunting, Little Sister-rescuing jaunt in Rapture. One player speaks of the update itself not having a blade pop-up or notification before it installs - it just does so on its own volition as soon as you sign on and slip the Bioshock disc in.

From then on, it's a nightmarish sequence of events - repeated sign-offs from Live, darkening screens, and the worst of the bunch, utter lag on gameplay, even while walking through empty corridors. Not a very good update, this.

What's the official word on this patch, then? Nothing from 2K Games yet, unfortunately. And to be fair, there are cases of users installing the patch and being able to play the game with no hitches at all. As tempting as it may seem to update, though, it's probably better if you held off from doing so, at least until the guys behind the critically-acclaimed shooter can come up with an explanation for the patch (as well as a patch for it). A patch for a patch!

If you've already installed the patch, simply clear your Xbox 360's cache to get Jack back in top form. Go to the Systems Blade, then Memory. Highlight the Hard Drive and hit Y. Then, press X, X, Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X, X. Choose Yes to perform System Maintenance, and every downloaded patch will be cleared (including the one for Bioshock). After that, it's merely an issue about avoiding the patch download.

Downloadable patches are always welcome, if they resolve issues that detract from the full enjoyment of a game - but not very much when they actually become that little annoyance. Here's hoping that 2K Games has a plasmid for this little quirk soon.

Thanks to nosushi4you for the tip!
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones then, cause I haven't experienced any lag or glitches after I downloaded the patc.

But I don't see any difference with the screen, I remember there was a pic where you could see how it would look like when it's in widescreen mode, and mine doesn't look like that.

Oct 24, 2006
Isn't it weird how an identical console, identical game and identical update can cause different outcomes for different people?

Forbiden

Elite Member
May 25, 2007
I noticed that the update was live yesterday when I was playing BioShock, but I really didn't notice any difference in anything. And the only time I would lag is when I would die and be revived. Otherwise, the game was runing as smooth as ever.

Gbeav

Elite Member
Dec 31, 2005
[QUOTE="rikwakefield, post: 0]Isn't it weird how an identical console, identical game and identical update can cause different outcomes for different people?[/quote]

I'm sure there has been a few hardware revisions since release. I'm just going to unplug my cord if I want to play it until new info.

thekingofkings

Master Poster
Jun 2, 2006
[QUOTE="slpbaseb12, post: 0]Yeah, I was getting some bad lag too. I got really worried, I thought I was getting RROD.[/QUOTE]

WOAH! Me too. Good thing to hear it's not my NEW HDMI 360 :)

Quick fix for this though. Hold down LB and RB during the startup screens until the 2K logos go away should fix the problem.

Oct 24, 2006
[QUOTE="thekingofkings, post: 0]WOAH! Me too. Good thing to hear it's not my NEW HDMI 360 :)

Quick fix for this though. Hold down LB and RB during the startup screens until the 2K logos go away should fix the problem.[/quote]
Out of interest, what does that do?

13th_Shell

[QUOTE="rikwakefield, post: 0]Out of interest, what does that do?[/QUOTE]

I'd like an answer to this as well.

I'm still going to hold off on patching until it's smoothed out though.

N

NotoriousASD

[QUOTE="rikwakefield, post: 0]Out of interest, what does that do?[/quote]

I think it clears the cache but id do it the proper way and go to the memory in system blade and do all that stuff that it tells you to do in the link i posted earlier. thats what MS has you do if you ever have to clear the cache so its the official way

C

C.T.E.

[QUOTE="rikwakefield, post: 0]Out of interest, what does that do?[/quote]

It clears your HDD cache.

Redman_DK

Master Poster
Nov 11, 2005
God **** it I was wrong before, I definately got it, it keeps lagging and glitching now. I can't play it like that, guess I'll have to clear my cache and go offline...

Worst. Update. Ever.

paranoia13

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2006
[QUOTE="rikwakefield, post: 0]Widescreen patch already? Good to see a developer who sees a problem and gets right on it.[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding me? It was changing 2 values in some config file, they took way too long to release it.

One-Shot

Master Guru
Aug 5, 2007
Georgia
[QUOTE="paranoia13, post: 0]Are you kidding me? It was changing 2 values in some config file, they took way too long to release it.[/quote]
Well its not that simple, they have to make sure it still runs smooth. Besides thats not what this patch was for.

thekingofkings

Master Poster
Jun 2, 2006
Well I did the hold LB and RB during hte startup and it worked like a charm. The game ran silky smooth again so I suggest everyone try that.

13th_Shell

:lol: I'm waiting for the patch for the patch as well. But I don't know how long I can deal with no BioShock.

thekingofkings

Master Poster
Jun 2, 2006
[QUOTE="WonsAuto, post: 0]Clearing the cache is good and all, but I haven't been on my 360 for 3 days. Is there an update on the patch? Or a patch for the patch? :lol:[/QUOTE]

No. Nothing yet and my method only clears the Bioshock not the whole HD.

[QUOTE="13th_Shell, post: 0]:lol: I'm waiting for the patch for the patch as well. But I don't know how long I can deal with no BioShock.[/QUOTE]

I'M TELLING YOU! HOLD ODWN LB AND RB DURING THE GAME'S BOOTUP WORKS LIKE A CHARM DOES NOT AFFECT THE REST OF YOUR HD!

X2

Elite Guru
Oct 13, 2004
This is what the patch was for.

Update improves stability when loading autosaves and overall game stability, corrects audio during title menu loading, and addresses AI behaviors regarding use of health stations.