Bloodborne and that diffulty level...

Jun 25, 2013
I thought people were bs'ing about how difficult this game is, but no. I've never played any of the souls game but I heard bloodborne is a great game so I had to pick it up and try it. I've been gaming for 34 years now and have played my fair share of so called tough games, but Bloodborne kinda takes the prize. I love the atmosphere and art direction even if the graphics are a little bad.

shreeveera_ps3

Superior Member
Dec 2, 2008
BANGALORE
Yup. The most Amazing thing about BLOODBORNE is the sense of immense satisfaction one gets after overcoming every single enemy as if like a survival horror. Atmosphere is Dracula-ish and very well detailed. Most fun thing is the Combat with its fluid animations and the Ghouls which are intricately designed. I never felt a sense of impending doom or nightmares when 2 wolves start chasing me down while I run for my life like in BLOODBORNE in no other game. Definitely better than the souls series where the action is somewhat slow paced. 10/10 game for being a PS4 Exclusive....

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="shreeveera_ps3, post: 6445857]Yup. The most Amazing thing about BLOODBORNE is the sense of immense satisfaction one gets after overcoming every single enemy as if like a survival horror. Atmosphere is Dracula-ish and very well detailed. Most fun thing is the Combat with its fluid animations and the Ghouls which are intricately designed. I never felt a sense of impending doom or nightmares when 2 wolves start chasing me down while I run for my life like in BLOODBORNE in no other game. Definitely better than the souls series where the action is somewhat slow paced. 10/10 game for being a PS4 Exclusive....[/QUOTE]
Yes, totally agree with you. Bloodborne has given me a fantastic gaming experience that I'm unikely to forget for some time. That game is absolutely a work of art for me. Like you mention, the atmosphere, it's perfect. The music and art combine to really put me into the harrowing world of Blood and mad beasts.

I've finished the main story now and just have the chalice dungeons to finish. The main story is great although very hard to get to grips with at first. That mystery though is what has kept me engaged, definitely like a horror experience. As has been mentioned plenty elsewhere the influence of the likes of H.P. Lovecraft can be seen and is a treat to behold on cosole, such terrifying beasts!

Looking forward to any DLC for sure.

edit:
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6445836]I suck at hard games so I didn't get very far, unfortunately.[/QUOTE]
Did you get the beckoning bell Chris? It has helped me sooo much, can't recommend using it enough.

edit:
Meant to say, regarding the difficulty... i probably spent around the first 10 hours or so playing BB getting used to the play style and understanding the game. Once you get over that hurdle and beat a boss or 2 you'll be levelling up nicely and progression shouldn't be too much bother.

Can't stress enough how helpful it can be to use the Beckoning Bell when you are stuck, doesn't have to be stuck at a boss either. Stuck? Just ring that bell and wait patiently,

A Hunter is never alone ;)

Last edited:

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
I dare to say game is definitely not hard but it is hard to understand the builds and weapons. It is easy to figure this things out if u use a guide or google. There are a few favorable builds that can make ur early game easy and some works for late. I finished the game twice now , not get deep dungeons tho.

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
I haven't got Bloodborne (yet) so far.

I've got Dark Souls 2 though and it's horribly difficult, I'm not good at it at all.. I might get it on PS4 instead of on PC though and try out there.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="MajorMajor, post: 6445914]Yes, totally agree with you. Bloodborne has given me a fantastic gaming experience that I'm unikely to forget for some time. That game is absolutely a work of art for me. Like you mention, the atmosphere, it's perfect. The music and art combine to really put me into the harrowing world of Blood and mad beasts.

I've finished the main story now and just have the chalice dungeons to finish. The main story is great although very hard to get to grips with at first. That mystery though is what has kept me engaged, definitely like a horror experience. As has been mentioned plenty elsewhere the influence of the likes of H.P. Lovecraft can be seen and is a treat to behold on cosole, such terrifying beasts!

Looking forward to any DLC for sure.

edit:

Did you get the beckoning bell Chris? It has helped me sooo much, can't recommend using it enough.

edit:
Meant to say, regarding the difficulty... i probably spent around the first 10 hours or so playing BB getting used to the play style and understanding the game. Once you get over that hurdle and beat a boss or 2 you'll be levelling up nicely and progression shouldn't be too much bother.

Can't stress enough how helpful it can be to use the Beckoning Bell when you are stuck, doesn't have to be stuck at a boss either. Stuck? Just ring that bell and wait patiently,

A Hunter is never alone ;)[/QUOTE]

no.....I kind of gave up. I'm going to jump back in though. beckoning bell, huh? Thanks for the tip!

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
Yeah the difficulty is why I don't play any of the From Software games. Got a decent amount through Demons Souls and just quit out of frustration. Good game but not worth the headache. I don't understand why they can't leave the regular difficulty and give a kiddy mode for people who want to enjoy the game without ripping their hair out.

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6445946]no.....I kind of gave up. I'm going to jump back in though. beckoning bell, huh? Thanks for the tip![/QUOTE]
You first need to gain 1 point of Insight from either a Madman's Skull or from confronting, not necessarily beating, a Boss like the Cleric Beast. Just confronting him will earn you 1 point of Insight, extra for beating him ;) Say you confront him then die, you have your Insight point when you respawn.

Madman's Skulls can be found throughout the levels so just have a good look around, it pays dividends! Sewers of Central Yarnham are a great place to start ;) you could get Insight this way instead so you can start levelling up before facing the first boss too.
Once you have that Insight head back to Hunters Dream where you should get the Beckoning Bell :icon_thumleft:

You do need more Insight to use the bell though. Costs 1 Insight to ring Beckoning Bell so Madman's Skulls and confronting/beating bosses will get you Insight early game. When doing Chalice Dungeons you can earn plenty more co-op'ing, easy-peasy.

Good luck!

Survival Horror

Superior Member
Jan 25, 2015
Guys i ll talk for me, i found Demon's and Dark souls harder games than most of games of our generation. As a games arent hard, only u need patience until become a good player with the best weapon,shield etc. There are much harder games than these series and when I hear that Bloodborne is easier than Souls games, i guess that is an average-easy game then. I ll play it when i buy a ps4 and will enjoy it for sure.

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
[QUOTE="Survival Horror, post: 6446015]Guys i ll talk for me, i found Demon's and Dark souls harder games than most of games of our generation. As a games arent hard, only u need patience until become a good player with the best weapon,shield etc. There are much harder games than these series and when I hear that Bloodborne is easier than Souls games, i guess that is an average-easy game then. I ll play it when i buy a ps4 and will enjoy it for sure.[/QUOTE] That doesn't make sense, Bloodborne being easier does not equal it being an average game difficulty-wise. Besides, they do not try to be difficult for the sake of it, or the most difficult games.

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="Shingo, post: 6446029]If u are dead with two hits from any minion , this means the game is not easy.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. No matter how good you think you are this is the kind of game that can always catch you out when you're lazy. Vigilance Hunters!

Survival Horror

Superior Member
Jan 25, 2015
[QUOTE="Shingo, post: 6446029]If u are dead with two hits from any minion , this means the game is not easy.[/QUOTE]
After one point when u are really good,u arent dead with two hits,they are dead before hit you twice :p if someone is lazy or doesnt give caution then is another thing:p

Naxi cannot understand what exactly mean.

Nov 7, 2013
NY
The thing about this game is that you have to actually take the time to learn, you aren't spoon fed like a little baby.
Game isn't hard, what's hard is people bothering to put logical brain power towards a game.

The difference between a hard game and one with extensive mechanics is that one was probably made by developers who couldn't even beat the game themselves and the other is made by developers who have the intention of having the player beat the game.
Bloodborne is obviously well thought out in its mechanics, know your stuff and the game is a walk in the park (can't speak for New Game +).

There's something plaguing most people participating in this generations gaming (age isn't the point, you could be 60 years old), I call it the auto-aim syndrome, it's a state of mind in where you don't feel comfortable with games that don't hold your hand.

Here:

Now isn't that better?

Pro tip: The more insight you have the more difficult the game gets.

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
Their games do reward patience and diligence, but requiring that kind of attention is draining. The games are still hard, you can't keep your execution at a 100% and the learning process isn't easy. Besides, you are in a constant state of learning. I might know exactly what I have to do, that doesn't mean I'll get through. Death is part of the game.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
This game is intensely frustrating, but you'll get better at it and you'll start learning little tricks to stay alive longer and whatnot. It's also a wee bit confusing since the game is not linear ... you can wander off into some area where everything kills you in one hit or you just happen across a random boss or mini boss ... all while running away and shitting your pants. It's also amazing just how far enemies can chase you. I was being chased by two werewolves and I thought I'd be smart and jump down into this dark labyrinth of passageways but nope ... they jumped down with me ... was like ... wtf?!

I would definitely not recommend this as a main game ... have something else to play on the side while you play this game to take your frustration off of it, lol. The first 5 hours I played I could barely make it 100 feet into the game. I wanted to tear my hair out. But after a while, it gets "easier".

The problem with this game is ... you always have to be on your toes. If you're not paying attention, even if your character is pretty powerful, you can die in the noob areas. This game doesn't allow you to be c-ocky ... lol. It's a humbling gameplay experience.

The best trick I learned is ... you don't have to kill everything ... if you learn the shorcuts you can run right past a lot of enemies without engaging them. Of course if you stop because you forgot the path ... well ... have fun fighting a hundred things.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2006
Alone in the Cold
I and most Souls veterans i have spoken to agree since we know how Souls games work we found Bloodborne easier than previous games. Vials are everywhere and getting your health back on hits completely makes up and then some for no shields. All Souls games are basically level and enemy memorization and figuring out how deal with each obstacle. Once you know how to kill something well its not a problem for you anymore.

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="Loui2, post: 6446060]The thing about this game is that you have to actually take the time to learn, you aren't spoon fed like a little baby. Game isn't hard, what's hard is people bothering to put logical brain power towards a game. The difference between a hard game and one with extensive mechanics is that one was probably made by developers who couldn't even beat the game themselves and the other is made by developers who have the intention of having the player beat the game. Bloodborne is obviously well thought out in its mechanics, know your stuff and the game is a walk in the park (can't speak for New Game +). There's something plaguing most people participating in this generations gaming (age isn't the point, you could be 60 years old), I call it the auto-aim syndrome, it's a state of mind in where you don't feel comfortable with games that don't hold your hand. Here:
Now isn't that better? Pro tip: The more insight you have the more difficult the game gets.[/QUOTE] I always have to laugh at the condecending and elitist attitudes of Bloodborne and souls fans. lol Smh.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="Loui2, post: 6446060]The thing about this game is that you have to actually take the time to learn, you aren't spoon fed like a little baby.
Game isn't hard, what's hard is people bothering to put logical brain power towards a game.

The difference between a hard game and one with extensive mechanics is that one was probably made by developers who couldn't even beat the game themselves and the other is made by developers who have the intention of having the player beat the game.
Bloodborne is obviously well thought out in its mechanics, know your stuff and the game is a walk in the park (can't speak for New Game +).

There's something plaguing most people participating in this generations gaming (age isn't the point, you could be 60 years old), I call it the auto-aim syndrome, it's a state of mind in where you don't feel comfortable with games that don't hold your hand.

Here:

Now isn't that better?

Pro tip: The more insight you have the more difficult the game gets.[/QUOTE]
I've never heard more BS in my life.

Nov 7, 2013
NY
[QUOTE="mistercrow, post: 6446172]I always have to laugh at the condecending and elitist attitudes of Bloodborne and souls fans. lol Smh.[/QUOTE]

Nothing in my post is condescending or elitist. All I stated in a nutshell is to take the time to learn the mechanics and the game will be easy, is that something condescending or elitist now?

[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6446189]I've never heard more BS in my life.[/QUOTE]

All of what I said was BS? Or please clarify which parts of my post were BS so I can address them.

Last edited:

DarkNemesis

Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2008
Parkville, Maryland
There is absolutely nothing fluid about this game.The movement and controls are stiff,non responsive and rigid.That is the problem I have with it,which makes it difficult due to how slow you attack and how easy it is to miss your target.I stopped playing the game,because it got boring and repetitive.

There are no variety in attacks,even with different weapons and leveling up is far too slow.It's an outdated game just like The Evil Within and has that archaic feeling to it.I have no problem making through any area of the game BTW,but the game is tedious and lacks excitement.

No story,no interesting characters,no variety in gameplay/combat and an otherwise uninteresting world outside of the atmosphere and monsters.The game feels unfinished or more like a prototype for something more complete and in depth.

The biggest problem I have with Bloodborne is that it is not fun.The Witcher 3 will be a far superior game in similar fashion.

DarkNemesis

Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2008
Parkville, Maryland
[QUOTE="Loui2, post: 6446309]Nothing in my post is condescending or elitist. All I stated in a nutshell is to take the time to learn the mechanics and the game will be easy, is that something condescending or elitist now?

All of what I said was BS? Or please clarify which parts of my post were BS so I can address them.[/QUOTE]
The BS comes from you trying to tell someone why they do not like the game and just posting "condescending" comments such as "being spoon fed" suggesting as if someone is somehow lessor because they do not like/enjoy this extremely flawed game.As I said,BB misses the entire point,which is to have fun.A challenge is fine,but it needs to be enjoying and have smooth mechanics.Both of which BB does not.

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
[QUOTE="DarkNemesis, post: 6446392]There is absolutely nothing fluid about this game.The movement and controls are stiff,non responsive and rigid.That is the problem I have with it,which makes it difficult due to how slow you attack and how easy it is to miss your target.I stopped playing the game,because it got boring and repetitive.

There are no variety in attacks,even with different weapons and leveling up is far too slow.It's an outdated game just like The Evil Within and has that archaic feeling to it.I have no problem making through any area of the game BTW,but the game is tedious and lacks excitement.

No story,no interesting characters,no variety in gameplay/combat and an otherwise uninteresting world outside of the atmosphere and monsters.The game feels unfinished or more like a prototype for something more complete and in depth.

The biggest problem I have with Bloodborne is that it is not fun.The Witcher 3 will be a far superior game in similar fashion.[/QUOTE]
It's like reading about a completely different game. It's clearly not for your playstyle. It's not meant to be button-mashed - weapons have weight, and you can't cancel your actions. It is an incredibly polished game.

The BS comes from you trying to tell someone why they do not like the game and just posting "condescending" comments such as "being spoon fed" suggesting as if someone is somehow lessor because they do not like/enjoy this extremely flawed game.As I said,BB misses the entire point,which is to have fun.A challenge is fine,but it needs to be enjoying and have smooth mechanics.Both of which BB does not.
So what exactly is fun? There's more to media than fun. Was Heavy Rain, Schindler
s List, Papers, Plase 'fun'? Games don't have to be fun to be engaging. There's a lot of satisfaction in overcoming obstacles in BB.

Last edited:

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="Loui2, post: 6446309]All of what I said was BS? Or please clarify which parts of my post were BS so I can address them.[/QUOTE]
The condescending, elitist superiority nonsense. It doesn't need to be addressed. You just have deluded perspective. If someone finds something more difficult than you, it's not because you're awesome and they're stupid and lazy.

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
Bloodborne certainly has a far steeper learning curve than a lot of other games. It is hard but once you've invested enough time in the game and understand what it's doing and how to play then all obstacles can be overcome. It's fair to say the difficulty is above many games and I guess that's what some are referring to here. Nothing is given away, you have to learn everything and I mean everything, by trial and error and observing what works and what doesn't. For some that may be too much energy to invest but for me it's just what I'm looking for in a game.

Nov 7, 2013
NY
[QUOTE="DarkNemesis, post: 6446395]The BS comes from you trying to tell someone why they do not like the game and just posting "condescending" comments such as "being spoon fed" suggesting as if someone is somehow lessor because they do not like/enjoy this extremely flawed game.As I said,BB misses the entire point,which is to have fun.A challenge is fine,but it needs to be enjoying and have smooth mechanics.Both of which BB does not.[/QUOTE]

You're playing word games. I never mentioned anything about liking or disliking the game. The term spoon fed is used when you're handed over something without effort, mentioning the lack of spoon feeding in Bloodborne has nothing to do with stating someone else doesn't like a game (something I did not do).
Then your last sentence is ironic because you claim I'm spouting BS but here you are defining what is fun for everyone but yourself.

Furthermore my comment was directed towards OP as you can tell by the lack of quotes. OP in his original post to the thread made no statement of liking or disliking the game for its difficulty, my post had nothing to do with liking or disliking Bloodborne, to clarify if I haven't enough already, it was a comment on the difficulty and nothing more.

[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6446414]The condescending, elitist superiority nonsense. It doesn't need to be addressed. You just have deluded perspective. If someone finds something more difficult than you, it's not because you're awesome and they're stupid and lazy.[/QUOTE]
And here's where your deluded perspective comes into play:
"If someone finds something more difficult than you, it's not because you're awesome and they're stupid and lazy."

I never excluded myself from anything I said in my comments. Just because I said the game isn't hard doesn't mean I'm claiming I'm more awesome or that others are stupid/lazy, It was a clear observation supported by the fact that once you know the mechanics to the game then the game becomes easier. My next statement did not exclude me either and wasn't some witty statement to insult anyone. The game preys on your knowledge on the mechanics while those finding the game difficult seem to tackle the game with experience/muscle memory rather than actually learning the mechanics.

Hell I even mention that insight affects difficulty, just one small step to learning the mechanics.

Last edited:

jj03

Elite Guru
Apr 7, 2007
not long started this. died about 6 times in the opening hour of the game. no idea wtf i'm doing. lol.

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="jj03, post: 6446555]not long started this. died about 6 times in the opening hour of the game. no idea wtf i'm doing. lol.[/QUOTE]
Sounds just like my first few hours :snicker You're doing it right then.