Blu-Ray Vaio's on their way

fooster

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2005
www.epc-clan.net
We've already heard of Sony's plans to pack a Blu-ray drive into one of their Vaio notebooks by the middle of the year, and that looks to be coming to fruition with this new AR11S 17-incher. A tipster gave us this ad clipping from the UK, and the details look pretty solid, as does the laptop's design -- if only a little bulky, which we suppose is to be expected. From this ad and from looking around a bit, the laptop looks like it will have a 2GHz Core Duo processor, dual 200GB HDDs, a TV tuner, 1920 x 1080 WUXGA 17-inch LCD, NVIDIA's GeForce Go GT 7600 256MB graphics, Bluetooth, WiFi, dual S-Video out, and Windows Media center. We're not quite sure why the ad lists the laptop as "Full HD (1080i)" when the LCD is capable of 1080p, and after Sony has so clearly stated that "True HD," at least, is 1080p. The bigger story, literally, is that the laptop will weigh in at a hefty 8.4 pounds, and cost an even heftier chunk of change: $3732. It's UK bound for now, but crazy price or not, we hope it makes it over to the US by mid June if only as a reminder of the incredible bargain that is the PS3.
Though expensive, blu-ray is covering all of the markets.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/13/sonys-ar11s-17-inch-blu-ray-vaios-due-mid-june/

badz_ps3

Master Poster
Mar 21, 2006
ps3forums.com
geeeeeeeeeeeeze man. why in all hell would u put that kind of hardware into a laptop? i bet itll feel like youve got 8 pounds of molten lava on ur lap rather than a computer :lol:. im not bashing it because it looks sweet but i def woulda thought theyd be bringin blu ray to desktop before laptop.

and as a general question of confusion... why would u want/need a media laptop like that with dual s vid ports, 200gb hdd??? tv tuner, etc. thats just NUTS! lol. (very awesome, but nuts none the less)

Naboomagnoli

Master Poster
Dec 17, 2005
That's actually not a bad price for such high tech stuff in a laptop :eek:

It's completely limited to the richer consumer, but with those parts I was expecting more than £2500.. bear in mind that it wouldn't be $3700-odd if it was in the US, it'd be far less.

seksy

Superior Member
Jan 21, 2006
That's a useful laptop for my HD video processing. I always have to degrade the HD quality to DVD quality in order to burn my HD videos. This should be useful for the videophiles who really want to burn HD directly on to blu-ray without any down conversion of quality. It's good stuff but the price is a bit high. I'll wait for 4x blu-ray drives

The_Only

Forum Sage
Feb 9, 2004
www.rebelreading.tk
The BBC’s resident technology boffin Rory Cellan-Jones has claimed that PlayStation Move offers gamers more precision in comparison to Microsoft’s Kinect peripheral.

Following some hands-on time with Kinect (formally known as Project Natal) recently, Cellan-Jones admitted that while he could “certainly see the attractions of throwing away the control and just flinging yourself at the game,” he didn’t feel overly convinced by the new device from a hardcore gamers perspective.

“I was not quite convinced that Microsoft’s technology would deliver for hard-core gamers. It seemed to work well on fun Wii-like games where you didn’t need too much precision – I’m not so sure how whether it would deliver on a first-person shooter.”

Comparing it to Move, he found that Sony’s motion controller offered a far more precise experience overall: “I’ve had a go on Sony’s Move motion control system, which is unveiled on Tuesday. Sony’s solution is much less radical. It has retained the controller, now adorned with glowing spheres which interact with a sensor unit on the television,” he said.

“This makes the whole experience less physical than with Kinect, but it also delivers a lot more precision. Sony showed us a table tennis game which seemed to mimic the real thing much more closely than I have seen elsewhere.”

PlayStation Move will be out in full force during the company’s E3 press conference tomorrow morning, so stay tuned for more details on the device from the show as they break.