boomerang controller

hood

Elite Member
Dec 2, 2005
Most would agree that the xbox 360 is more comfortable than the ds3, but if the boomerang controller would of had dual shock could it have been succesful? It was unique in design but the early specifications for it suggested it could have been comfortable.

hood

Elite Member
Dec 2, 2005
It was a pretty bold move bringing a controller like that out I think they should have just realesed it. I was hoping for a third party to design it but never happened.

ddPLaNeT

Forum Elder
Apr 7, 2008
Montreal
I'm actually fine with the Dual Shock 3 controller. To me, it's the best all around controller. Boomrang would have been a disaster imo. People laughed at it back in 2005-2006.

ONQ

Master Guru
Jun 30, 2006
even if that controller was better it still would have hurt the sells because it's something that people can look at & say "I don't like that"

to me the most uncomfortable controller this gen was the wiimote & I like the DS3 better then the 360 controller but they are almost the same but none of the looks of these controllers turn people away with that boomerang controller a lot of people would have been turning down the whole system without even trying it.

what's best is not always the best choice, who would have thought that people would fall in love with wide flat phones

John25

Elite Sage
Apr 8, 2008
[QUOTE="ONQ, post: 5450961]even if that controller was better it still would have hurt the sells because it's something that people can look at & say "I don't like that"

to me the most uncomfortable controller this gen was the wiimote & I like the DS3 better then the 360 controller but they are almost the same but none of the looks of these controllers turn people away with that boomerang controller a lot of people would have been turning down the whole system without even trying it.

what's best is not always the best choice, who would have thought that people would fall in love with wide flat phones[/QUOTE]

for me the 360 and the DS3 are about level in terms of what I prefer like I prefer the DS3 for fighting games but then prefer the 360 controller for racing and Shooters. and while the DS3 has the sixaxis functionality the 360 is a plug n play windows controller that is recognised immediatly by 95% of PC games. I know you can use the DS3 also but you have to look for & Download a driver for it plus you have to manually set it up fon most PC games.

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
[QUOTE="ddPLaNeT, post: 5450929]I'm actually fine with the Dual Shock 3 controller. To me, it's the best all around controller. Boomrang would have been a disaster imo. People laughed at it back in 2005-2006.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I didn't really laugh at it but...this

is this

and was too close to these

And probably less comfortable than they were.

I don't think they were serious at all when they showed that controller off.

Acid Snake

Super Elite
Sep 7, 2008
I'm glad that controller didn't come out with the consoles. There is no way I would've used one of those horrible looking things.

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
I don't really have a problem with either controller and I think it's good that they are different. I do prefer the PS3 controller though and I do not think that the PS3 controller is < the Xbox 360 controller.

Noxia

Forum Sage
Dec 21, 2008
England
I hope sony never change the DS3. IMO the weight is just right and the layout is second nature to most. Well it would be but you know what I mean.

VayMasters86

Dedicated Member
Sep 13, 2007
I was really hoping for a third party to release one. I had a boomerang controller for the ps1, I don't remember who made it but it was blue with black rubber hand grips and was EASILY the most comfortable controller I ever used. The only addition I would make was to make the thumb sticks concave on the top. Sometimes when I'm playing games with precision aiming it feels like I'm going to slide off the thumb sticks.

ufo8mycat

Superior Member
Jan 26, 2009
I must admit, if there was 1 thing Microsoft did right this generation, is design an ergonomic controller.

I also admit that the DS3 is not ergonomic at all, but that doesn't make it uncomfortable for me, as I am use to it. I guess you can get use to anything, if you use it long enough.

That boomerang controller by itself, it looks awkward, but once you see someones hands around it, it does look natural, though I don't think it would of succeeded. A lot of people are stubborn and like to stick to what they have used for last 2 generations, even if there are design improvements (360). I admit I was one of those people :p

It's hard to use something else, when you are so use to using the same design for 2 generations, therefore boomerang would of failed I think.

ozman79

Superior Member
Oct 26, 2008
Manchester, England
I love the DS3 controller, and find it no more or less comfortable than the 360 pad. I can switch between the two without any problem.

On the subject of 3rd party ones; isn't there a PS3 pad on the market which is the same design as the 360 pad, or did I just make that up in my head?

Pez_555

Master Guru
Feb 3, 2006
I would have liked to try it.

DS3 is a great controller. There are a few things that i would change (triggers being one) but overall i think its great.

Mar 11, 2009
Charlotte,NC
Well the boomarang designs wasn't a bad designs only if it was a little smaller.. In the pics it looks to big to hold.. But like others already had said the DS3 is a great controller just some things need to be tweaked on the controller..

ozman79

Superior Member
Oct 26, 2008
Manchester, England
[QUOTE="Pez_555, post: 5451794] There are a few things that i would change (triggers being one)...[/QUOTE]

I used 2-part glue to fix Gioteck triggers to the R2+L2 buttons, so now they're perfect.