BREAKING NEWS: Xbox One X to outsell PS4 Pro

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Just last week, Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter went on record to say that people shouldn't believe the "Xbox One X is the fastest pre-ordered" console story floating about. Well, the Pach-man is back!

Over on Twitter, Michael Pachter said that he believes his own prediction that the Xbox One X will sell around 20 percent of the total annual Xbox One units, which puts it at two million units give or take. With that in mind, he believes that the Xbox One X will outsell the PS4 Pro as well. Let me make that clear that he thinks it's just the PS4 Pro that will be outsold by the Xbox One X and not the PS4.

Of course, this is kind of open-ended if you think about it. Does he mean the Xbox One X will outsell the PS4 Pro in the US? Worldwide? During the holiday period of 2017? This gen? Bear in mind though, these are all educated guesses from a man that's paid to do so. This doesn't mean he's biased to one platform or rooting for one to fail.

Do you agree with Michael Pachter? Will the Xbox One X outsell the PS4 Pro given how it's said to be a "top-end" experience?
Source

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Maybe over the course of a few years. But Microsoft needs to focus on getting good IP's on the platform and not worry about the PS4 Pro.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Depends on if Pro's price stays the same. If Sony drops the price to $350 and bundle a game or two in November then all bets are off.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6532737]Maybe over the course of a few years. But Microsoft needs to focus on getting good IP's on the platform and not worry about the PS4 Pro.[/QUOTE]
I agree. Games will help determine the overall sales of any system.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6532737]Maybe over the course of a few years. But Microsoft needs to focus on getting good IP's on the platform and not worry about the PS4 Pro.[/QUOTE]
They don't seem too be worried. I think the console will do just fine.

[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6532763]I agree. Games will help determine the overall sales of any system.[/QUOTE]
Yes, games. Not just ones published by them. Strong 3rd party support is still a must for them and Sony.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Well, I don't think anyone is saying Xbox One X will be a commercial failure. But doing just fine is different from outselling the competition.

Last edited:

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
[QUOTE="MjW, post: 6532802]I'd be nice to outsell the Pro and put some pressure on Sony tbh.[/QUOTE]
I doubt this would put pressure on Sony even if the Xbox One X outsold the PS4 Pro. There's no denying that both the PS4 and Xbox One are disappointing for a good number of people. I just feel the disappointment is greater with the Xbox One which may have some influence on the Xbox One X sales to a larger degree than what took place with the PS4 Pro.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6532739]Depends on if Pro's price stays the same. If Sony drops the price to $350 and bundle a game or two in November then all bets are off.[/QUOTE]
I actually think this will end up being the case when Xbox One X releases. Just curious which game(s) they would bundle with it? Like would it make sense for them to include Gran Turismo Sport as the bundled game or is it more likely to be multiplatform (Call of Duty: WWII)?

Last edited:

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 6532847]In what way?[/QUOTE]
Sony enjoys the upper had right now. A bit of competition never hurt consumers.

Cuguy

Elite Sage
Mar 9, 2007
www.psu.com
[QUOTE="MjW, post: 6532856]Sony enjoys the upper had right now. A bit of competition never hurt consumers.[/QUOTE]

Exactly... the minute fanboys get their way and MS or Sony bows out, then you can expect ALL innovation to go "poof" and consoles will grow more and more vanilla over the years.

Competition spurs innovation and advances.

Simple

Jun 4, 2007
[QUOTE="MjW, post: 6532856]Sony enjoys the upper had right now. A bit of competition never hurt consumers.
[QUOTE="Cuguy, post: 6532863]Exactly... the minute fanboys get their way and MS or Sony bows out, then you can expect ALL innovation to go "poof" and consoles will grow more and more vanilla over the years.

Competition spurs innovation and advances.

Simple[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]That doesn't really answer my question.

How will the XboneX outselling the PS4Pro put pressure on Sony?

Nothing MS has done has put pressure on Sony this gen. No advantage the xbone holds over the ps4 has kept the gap from growing.

Cuguy

Elite Sage
Mar 9, 2007
www.psu.com
[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 6532865]That doesn't really answer my question.

How will the XboneX outselling the PS4Pro put pressure on Sony?

Nothing MS has done has put pressure on Sony this gen. No advantage the xbone holds over the ps4 has kept the gap from growing.[/QUOTE]

OH you don't want me answering that question... i don't Give a fuck. The sales are strong on both. Don't care who outsells who. All I care is that each new console pushes tech farther than the last gen.

Jun 4, 2007
[QUOTE="Cuguy, post: 6532867]OH you don't want me answering that question... i don't Give a fuck. The sales are strong on both. Don't care who outsells who. All I care is that each new console pushes tech farther than the last gen.[/QUOTE]
When it comes to applying pressure then sales do matter. Otherwise one company isn't going to give a flying gotdamn fuck. Sony is proving that. They aren't sweating about the advantages the xbone has over it currently(yea, even before the x is out). Why? Because they're stomping the living shit out of the xbone in sales.

I'll ask again. How does the xbone x outselling the pro going to put pressure on Sony?

Last edited:

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
what you mean Two? It sure does because even if you accept or not, comparing pro with x totally legit. xbo beaten by the 4, but with same lineup of games if X beats pro then that means X is more successful marketing wise and more appealing. And to be honest if I was a random shooter player, like the majority of console gamers, I would go with X instead of pro.

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 6532870]Why? Because they're stomping the living shit out of the xbone in sales.

I'll ask again. How does the xbone x outselling the pro going to put pressure on Sony?[/QUOTE]

You kind of answer your own question.
If you don't get what I'm saying, I trust you understand what you are writing.

Jun 4, 2007
[QUOTE="Shingo, post: 6532873]what you mean Two? It sure does because even if you accept or not, comparing pro with x totally legit. xbo beaten by the 4, but with same lineup of games if X beats pro then that means X is more successful marketing wise and more appealing. [/QUOTE]
[QUOTE="MjW, post: 6532875]You kind of answer your own question.
If you don't get what I'm saying, I trust you understand what you are writing.[/QUOTE]
Just to be clear, I'm ultimately saying that the both xbones/X will have to outsell both ps4/pro for this "better for consumers" effect to take place. It's not going to come just from X beating Pro. That's how Sony will look at it. It has nothing to do with my preference or what I want to believe, ect.

Lets just say xboneS/X outsells the ps4/Pro all throughout next year(beyond the launch period of X)...

What effect is that going to have on Sony so that things will be better for consumers? I'm asking so that I can see what everyone else is thinking.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 6532883]Lets just say xboneS/X outsells the ps4/Pro all throughout next year(beyond the launch period of X)...

What effect is that going to have on Sony so that things will be better for consumers? I'm asking so that I can see what everyone else is thinking.[/QUOTE]
We aren't talking about Xbox One (Xbox One S) outselling the PS4 though.

If Xbox One X is more successful, we might see more impressive hardware in the PS5 to ensure Sony has the multiplatform advantage. When the Wii ended up being really successful for Nintendo, it lead them to never again release a console with competitive hardware. Yes, we saw more games on PS4 reaching 1080p compared to 900p on Xbox One but it's not some significant "bleeding-edge" achievement when you consider everyone and their dog expected 1080p gaming this generation.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2007
[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6532890]We aren't talking about Xbox One (Xbox One S) outselling the PS4 though.[/QUOTE]When I asked only about midgen they didn't answer. So I assume they were talking about this generation and not next gen. When I included the ps4/xboneS it was about Sony feeling pressure this generation.
[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6532890]
If Xbox One X is more successful, we might see more impressive hardware in the PS5 to ensure Sony has the multiplatform advantage. When the Wii ended up being really successful for Nintendo, it lead them to never again release a console with competitive hardware. Yes, we saw more games on PS4 reaching 1080p compared to 900p on Xbox One but it's not some significant "bleeding-edge" achievement when you consider everyone and their dog expected 1080p gaming this generation.[/QUOTE]Next gen is what I expected people to talk about when they mention applying pressure. The only result we'd get from applied pressure this generation is a price cut. There's some areas that Sony need to have an answer for with the PS5. The elephant in the room being backwards compatibility;PS5 playing PS4 games. PSNow is not going to cut it.

As for "bleeding-edge" hardware, we can forget the days of devs taking a loss to have more power. They're going to set a price goal of either $400 or $500 and the year for it to launch. We'll get the best console that can be built for that price and year(just as we did this gen).

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Cuguy, post: 6532867]OH you don't want me answering that question... i don't Give a $#@!. The sales are strong on both. Don't care who outsells who. All I care is that each new console pushes tech farther than the last gen.[/QUOTE]
He doesn't get it.Consoles sales are important but that's not where the most money is made. I say go ask the shareholders about pressure and see what they have to say.

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
I do agree with Two4DaMoney that backwards compatibility will be a huge factor in the future if one system has it while the competition doesn't. Yes, console sales typically won't net the most profit margin hence why such things such as buying additional accessories (e.g. additional controller, remote, etc. etc.) tend to be encouraged. However, a console has to sale well enough for that to happen to an effective level. While the Xbox console has done fine in the western part of the world, it has failed in multiple eastern countries. So in such cases the accessory part example never comes into play since the base console struggles in some countries. While it isn't clear cut across the board, some companies will do more for the higher selling console such as for example releasing a beta earlier for one console than another.

DarkNemesis

Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2008
Parkville, Maryland
Wow. Was doing a search in my browser history and saw this thread pop up. What a HUGE fail Xbox One has been LOL. I seen it coming and told Xbox fans, but they blindly defended M$ and now they are focused on X Cloud and the Xbox One X was a pointless failure just like I said it would be. It's funny to read old threads and see how wrong people were.

Hedon

Jan 19, 2018
Wow. Was doing a search in my browser history and saw this thread pop up. What a HUGE fail Xbox One has been LOL. I seen it coming and told Xbox fans, but they blindly defended M$ and now they are focused on X Cloud and the Xbox One X was a pointless failure just like I said it would be. It's funny to read old threads and see how wrong people were.
I personally love my Xbox One X and my PS4 Pro. They may not sell as much as the standard consoles, but I don't care. As long as I am happy with them.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Well Xbox One has sold more than the original Xbox but probably won't do 360 numbers.

Well for next generation it depends if Microsoft team can produce really good quality exclusives is the key and variety of games which they lacked for a long time. Microsoft will always struggle with Asia markets so for western releases they only get games that will sell more on other consoles like the FF series and even if they get more games from Asia it will sell more on Playstation,Nintendo or PC.

I game on PS4 ,Switch and PC now. That's all I need get the games that I want to play. I don't think i'll go to Next Gen for quite some time.