Brian Johnson considering retirement

Boxman

Dedicated Member
Jan 27, 2009
“I try to keep myself fit, and I love it being in this band…but the other lads are in their early fifties. I’m the old dog in the regiment. I don’t want for people to see me on stage and say, ‘Oh, poor old f**er, the band’s carrying him!’”

Those are the kinds of things that worry aging rockers. At least in the case of Brian Johnson, who has been fronting AC/DC for around three decades. At 61, Johnson is thinking that the Black Ice tour may be his last. There are others in the band that don’t seem willing to give up their long-time vocalist just yet, however.
Guitarist Malcolm Young responded to the news of Johnson’s possible retirement by saying: “What are you talkin’ about? We’re not gonna let you retire!” That’s surely a nice vote of confidence for Johnson, but it sounds as if Johnson just wants to go out on a high note, so to speak.
Being an aging rocker can present problems that seem a thousand years in the future when you’re a twenty-something rock sensation, but there’s no stopping the aging process, and the changes it imposes on all of us. Recent health problems that have plagued Aerosmith are a stark reminder of that fact.
After 30 years of singing AC/DC songs, it’s hard to fault the guy for wanting to hang it up. Perhaps he just wants to go home and relax and enjoy the rest of his life without the physical and emotional demands that go hand-in-hand with being the vocalist for a hard-rocking group like AC/DC. That’s got to be a pretty demanding job even for a young guy!
Although this is a development that may disappoint AC/DC fans, it seems there may still be a chance to see Johnson perform with the group again before he hangs up his microphone. He has agreed to remain at his post until the Black Ice tour is complete, and there is talk that it might be 2011 before that happens.
Johnson was recently interviewed by Classic Rock Magazine

Source

I died on the inside after reading this. :(

Chesser19

Forum Elder
May 22, 2008
Canada Eh!
Seen that a few months back on Ultimate-Guitar. Doesn't bother me though, I don't like his singing and I don't like AC/DC. However, I do respect all that they have accomplished and should he retire I wish him the best of luck in his future.

Chesser19

Forum Elder
May 22, 2008
Canada Eh!
[QUOTE="Funeralfog, post: 0]im quite sad, what album is better than back in black? NONE[/quote]

On the contrary, Appetite for Destruction is better.

[valium]

lawlydoodlez
Jun 12, 2008
[QUOTE="Chesser19, post: 0]On the contrary, Appetite for Destruction is better.[/quote]

Agreed. Guns N Roses was always better than AC/DC.

He has an annoying voice, makes me want to rip my ears off.

Chesser19

Forum Elder
May 22, 2008
Canada Eh!
[valium];4773079 said:
Agreed. Guns N Roses was always better than AC/DC.

He has an annoying voice, makes me want to rip my ears off.
Finally a sensible person.:D That dude really can't sing. I really don't know how he became a singer.

[valium]

lawlydoodlez
Jun 12, 2008
[QUOTE="Chesser19, post: 0]Finally a sensible person.:D That dude really can't sing. I really don't know how he became a singer.[/quote]

Well, in the 70's everyone was on drugs.

80's, people were still on drugs.

then they just kinda stuck around .. and somehow managed to keep some type of fans.

Oct 9, 2005
Canada
www.ArchNME.com
Are you serious? You think Haxle Roses voice is more tolerable than Brians?

Appetite for Destruction isn't better than Back in Black, if anything they are on the same level.
Plus, Back in Black has more hits, thus moving it ahead in reality.
Overall, the band is filled with less ******** drama to and can still put out quality material. Axle is trying to hold on to a measly bucket of **** that was GnR.

Chesser19

Forum Elder
May 22, 2008
Canada Eh!
[QUOTE="Tyrannicide, post: 0]Are you serious? You think Haxle Roses voice is more tolerable than Brians?

Appetite for Destruction isn't better than Back in Black, if anything they are on the same level.
Plus, Back in Black has more hits, thus moving it ahead in reality.
Overall, the band is filled with less ******** drama to and can still put out quality material. Axle is trying to hold on to a measly bucket of **** that was GnR.[/quote]

AC/DC still putting out quality music? I don't think so bud. In my opinion, AC/DC never had quality material. Also, Brain sounds like he has some weird creature in his throat and it's dying a slow painful death.

As for Back in Black having more hits, I want some proof. With Welcome to the Jungle, It's So Easy, Nightrain, Mr. Brownstone, Sweet Child O' Mine, Paradise City and Rocket Queen, I believe Appetite beats it.

Oct 9, 2005
Canada
www.ArchNME.com
[QUOTE="VintageElise, post: 0]And Axl Rose doesn't?[/quote]

I know right, I mean he sounds like a pre-pubescent girl. Brian is not nearly as high pitched squaeky, it is considerably cleaner and whats this about his voice sounding like somethings crawled down it and died? Its called raspy buddy, not nearly as bad as Axle.

And hits, the whole Back in Black album minus shake a leg and what do you do for money honey are solid, quality tracks. And further more, Black Iced is a solid album, a hell of a lot more than a near decade in the making bombshell that was Chinese Democracy.

And you want to go further, at least ACDC isn't ego driven maniacs.

And you want to get into the really gritty numbers game? How about Appetite for Destruction only selling roughly 28 million copies as of 2008, world wide.

While back In Black sold 27 million in NA alone, hitting an estimated 49 million copies World wide[including NA].

So yea, what album is better? I seem to have 21million more people on my side, so go suck a lemon.

[/thread]

Chesser19

Forum Elder
May 22, 2008
Canada Eh!
[QUOTE="Tyrannicide, post: 0]I know right, I mean he sounds like a pre-pubescent girl. Brian is not nearly as high pitched squaeky, it is considerably cleaner and whats this about his voice sounding like somethings crawled down it and died? Its called raspy buddy, not nearly as bad as Axle.

And hits, the whole Back in Black album minus shake a leg and what do you do for money honey are solid, quality tracks. And further more, Black Iced is a solid album, a hell of a lot more than a near decade in the making bombshell that was Chinese Democracy.

And you want to go further, at least ACDC isn't ego driven maniacs.

And you want to get into the really gritty numbers game? How about Appetite for Destruction only selling roughly 28 million copies as of 2008, world wide.

While back In Black sold 27 million in NA alone, hitting an estimated 49 million copies World wide[including NA].

So yea, what album is better? I seem to have 21million more people on my side, so go suck a lemon.

[/thread][/quote]

I find it funny how you get so upset when I stat MY OPINION. Never once did I say that Appetite was better based on facts. It was all my opinion.

I NEVER liked AC/DC and I never will. I hate their singers voice and I hate the band as a whole, plain and simple. You think that Brain sounds better than Axl, then go ahead and believe it because I won't.

Also, why did you bring Chinese Democracy and Black Ice in this? Furthermore, I don't care what the statics are on the two albums. I like AFD more then anything by AC/DC because once again, it's my opinion. Just cause the stats say its better doesn't mean I find it better.

Oh and next time you want to bash Axl, learn to spell his name at least.

Oct 9, 2005
Canada
www.ArchNME.com
Oh big whoop, an I slipped an "e" in his name.

I brought the new albums into this jackass because you bashed me when I commented on ACDC still releasing quality content, so I shoved that in your sorry pathetic face. You brushed off the notion so I slapped the ****fest that is GNR in your face, which isn't really GnR but rather an egotistical maniac who can't let go off the past.

Further more, you stated AFD was better than BiB, so I merely showed that in reality BiB was better after you shoved your opinion in another posters face, so who started this opinion fest first holmes?

There was no need at all from the beginning to bring any other band into this thread, as it was about them, why even post if you don't like them? Why not just go back and movie on? No, you came in here and had to post, so serves you right for starting this war.

That being said, I do give you credit for stating best of luck at the beginning, but it just ****** me off when people bring in unrelated points, being another band in this case. It was just unnecessary.

Chesser19

Forum Elder
May 22, 2008
Canada Eh!
[QUOTE="Tyrannicide, post: 0]Oh big whoop, an I slipped an "e" in his name.

I brought the new albums into this jackass because you bashed me when I commented on ACDC still releasing quality content, so I shoved that in your sorry pathetic face. You brushed off the notion so I slapped the ****fest that is GNR in your face, which isn't really GnR but rather an egotistical maniac who can't let go off the past.

Further more, you stated AFD was better than BiB, so I merely showed that in reality BiB was better after you shoved your opinion in another posters face, so who started this opinion fest first holmes?

There was no need at all from the beginning to bring any other band into this thread, as it was about them, why even post if you don't like them? Why not just go back and movie on? No, you came in here and had to post, so serves you right for starting this war.

That being said, I do give you credit for stating best of luck at the beginning, but it just ****** me off when people bring in unrelated points, being another band in this case. It was just unnecessary.[/quote]

I didn't bash you when I said AC/DC never had quality music. It was just what I believed. You attacked me every single time. Read the posts a bit harder next time.

The reason I posted was to just say I wish him the best of luck even though I didn't like the band or his singing. And I said I preferred Gn'R over AC/DC. As for bringing another band in, you had no right to attack me cause I find AFD better, but guess what, you did so you started this. But now I'm ending it cause I'm done arguing over this.

I do appreciate the fact you gave me credit for wishing him luck should he retire.