Buying older PS2 games (opinions welcome)

Tobian

Master Poster
Dec 19, 2005
Okay, here's the deal everyone.

I'm always on the look-out for older PS2 games. Ones that I might have missed or just plain had no time for back then.

Because time is not always on my side when it comes to gaming. There's always just a few games I have to pick above others.

I'm sure many can relate!

Now, there's some good deals out here at the moment which I just can't pass up! So I decided to buy a couple of games.

Here's the list of games I'm interested in and can currently get:

Ratchet & Clank 1/2
SWAT Global Strike Team
Prince of Persia & (Warrior Within)
Killzone
Devil May Cry 2/3
Rainbow 3 (Lockdown)
Splintercell & (Padora Tomorrow)

At the moment I can only pick up a few games so opinions about them are more then welcome.

I always wanted to finish the DMC series after completing the first one, such a long time ago.

Ratchet & Clank and Prince of Persia are also games always on my mind as games to give a whirl sometime.

As you can guess, I'm a bit more into 'adventure' type games, but this time I want to pick up at least one 'shooter/stealth' type of game.

So any advice will be more than welcome.

aiking

Superior Member
Aug 9, 2006
prince of persia, was the $*!^ , a must have.
splinter cell, was pathetic, well to me, i never liked tom clancys splinter cell series.

Tobian

Master Poster
Dec 19, 2005
Thanks for the responses guys.

[QUOTE="Eric2929, post: 0]Skip DMC2 - you'll be dissappointed.[/quote]

Why was DMC2 dissapointing and not DMC3. Also, will I miss anything storywise if I was to skip part 2.

[QUOTE="aiking, post: 0]prince of persia, was the $*!^ , a must have.
splinter cell, was pathetic, well to me, i never liked tom clancys splinter cell series.[/quote]

So if I had to decide between Splinter Cell, Killzone, SWAT and Rainbow which would you recommend.

Feb 22, 2005
if you get the prince of persia's get all 3. the third is the best but for the sake of the storyline get all 3. i beat all 3 and its soooo awesome. especially the end of the third what it does is just soo......sweet. such a complete story

$_KD_

Super Elite
Apr 9, 2006
[QUOTE="Gameware336, post: 0]yyeeeaaah how could i forget the legendary MGS series. those are my biggest game loves too. im ashamed of myself[/QUOTE]

and you call yourself a gamerware:( , next time be more aware!!:-D

Oct 30, 2005
I personally wasn't that impressed with Killzone, the single player mode is quite dull, and the gameplay is linear and very repetitive. The sequel I'm sure will be far better. IMO you'd be better purchasing Black.

I know you like your RPG's (and you're probably busy with FFXII) but I suggest to you look into Dark Chronicle (by Level 5), Shadow Hearts Covenant and the Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 which I've yet to purchase but I've heard are excellent.

aiking

Superior Member
Aug 9, 2006
[QUOTE="Tobian, post: 0]Thanks for the responses guys.

Why was DMC2 dissapointing and not DMC3. Also, will I miss anything storywise if I was to skip part 2.

So if I had to decide between Splinter Cell, Killzone, SWAT and Rainbow which would you recommend.[/QUOTE]

id go with killzone or rainbow six

Tobian

Master Poster
Dec 19, 2005
[QUOTE="$_KD_, post: 0]get ONI,tekken 4,GTA3,All MGS series.[/quote]

Yep, got those covered. ;)

[QUOTE="Voice Of A Riot, post: 1191473]I personally wasn't that impressed with Killzone, the single player mode is quite dull, and the gameplay is linear and very repetitive. The sequel I'm sure will be far better. IMO you'd be better purchasing Black.

I know you like your RPG's (and you're probably busy with FFXII) but I suggest to you look into Dark Chronicle (by Level 5), Shadow Hearts Covenant and the Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 which I've yet to purchase but I've heard are excellent.[/quote]

VOAR,

I'd get Black, but not my first choice from the 'still more expensive games' if you know what I mean.

With FFXII, KH2 and still having to buy Okami.

Was the story of Killzone any good?

FFXII is my first priority right now. lol. but I just could not pass up on some of the games I could get, SO cheap.

I guess with the PS3 on the way a lot of people decide to sell there stuff to get enough money to make their purchase.

[QUOTE="fight_music, post: 0]I liked killzone and DMC 3.[/quote]

Check. ;)

[QUOTE="aiking, post: 0]id go with killzone or rainbow six[/quote]

Double check for Killzone. :)

[QUOTE="WonsAuto, post: 0]Get Ico and Shadow of the Colossus if you haven't already... those are OUTSTANDING games that just didn't get enough press.[/quote]

Shadow of the Colossus is a splendid game.

I'm still looking for ICO, probably have to order that one online as I never have seen it in store.

WonsAuto

Mar 12, 2007
www.myspace.com
[QUOTE="Tobian, post: 0]I'm still looking for ICO, probably have to order that one online as I never have seen it in store.[/quote]

Yea, I'm looking for Ico, too. It literally just disappeared out of my room one day. :(

Tobian

Master Poster
Dec 19, 2005
[QUOTE="WonsAuto, post: 0]Yea, I'm looking for Ico, too. It literally just disappeared out of my room one day. :([/quote]

Had any friends over recently? :rolleyes:

[QUOTE="Eric2929, post: 0]Skip DMC2 - you'll be dissappointed.[/quote]

Can anyone explain to me why DMC2 sucked arse? and if I'll miss anything storywise if I decide to skip that part?

Mar 9, 2007
www.myspace.com
Isn't Ico the prequel to Shadow of the Colossus? I was following SotC in EGM magazine for a while before it came out and it looked amazing, I'm not a big fan of those types of games but I wanted to get it...I ended up not getting it but now that Im hearing from numerous people that it's in fact a great game, I may have to pick it up.

Aug 22, 2006
Alone in the Cold
[QUOTE="StratMan172, post: 0]Isn't Ico the prequel to Shadow of the Colossus? I was following SotC in EGM magazine for a while before it came out and it looked amazing, I'm not a big fan of those types of games but I wanted to get it...I ended up not getting it but now that Im hearing from numerous people that it's in fact a great game, I may have to pick it up.[/quote]

Actually i believe SotC is the prequel to Ico.

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
My entire console gaming selection.

I've had people in the past say that i don't own an X-box because i rip on Microsoft at times. But this is hard proof from just the other room, Now if this isn't a balanced gamer nothing is.

PLaystation 2

No order:

+ Kingdom Hearts

X-Box & Wii

Oct 30, 2005
[QUOTE="Tobian, post: 0]VOAR,

I'd get Black, but not my first choice from the 'still more expensive games' if you know what I mean.

With FFXII, KH2 and still having to buy Okami.

Was the story of Killzone any good?

FFXII is my first priority right now. lol. but I just could not pass up on some of the games I could get, SO cheap.

I guess with the PS3 on the way a lot of people decide to sell there stuff to get enough money to make their purchase.[/quote]

Well all the games apart from Black and I think DD Saga 2 are well over a couple of years old so they won't be too pricey.

As for whether Killzone's story is any good, I'd say it's what saves the game. The war between the ISA and the invading Helghast is actually quite epic. Perhaps I was a little to harsh when it comes to gameplay, it's not all that bad, but as Killzone was hyped up so much prior to launch, I expected a lot from a game that didn't deliver.

Tobian

Master Poster
Dec 19, 2005
[QUOTE="WonsAuto, post: 0]:lol:

No, this happened a while ago, during a one-week stretch when no one was over.

[cue Twilight Zone music][/quote]

Have you looked under your bed lately. There's a gateway to another dimension with a kid playing your ICO game.

*Twilight zone music turns up a bit louder* :lol:

[QUOTE="HellsJester, post: 0]DMC2 has no storyline so you will be missing nothing.
DMC2 is also too easy, I found DMD mode on DMC2 easier than Normal mode on DMC1.
Just a piece of crap with the DMC label on it.[/quote]

DMC2, just a piece of crap. Check.

If I'm missing nothing storywise I'll just have to skip it. Unless some people can convince me otherwise.

[QUOTE="mickice, post: 0]You may or may not find games you like in here, also you may already own some of therse games or they are out of your budget right now.

No order:

1. Grand Turismo 4
2. Grand Turismo 3
3. Ratchet and Clank 3: Up your aresonal
4. Resident Evil 4
5. Final Fantasy X
6. The Getaway
7. Killzone
8. Eye-Toy 3
9. Eye-Toy 1
10. Dance Factory (Dance mat)
11. Metal Gear Solid 2
12. God of War

I hope you find some fun gaming in that list, i know i do. Endless hours playing my ps2, seriously

whats an X-box? lol. i have 20 games for it that no ones plays.[/quote]

I got them all check, except for number 3,8,9 & 10.

I have played Eye Toy over at friends, really fun and I might pick one up another time.

I'm curious about Ratchet and Clank though.

It looks and sounds really fun, but should I start with the first in the series? Or does it really not matter?

[QUOTE="MikeAaronB, post: 0]Have you ever played the Jak and Daxter series? Definitely worthwhile.[/quote]

I have played the first of the Jak and Daxter series a long time ago. If I can find me the rest of the series I'd surly do.

[QUOTE="Voice Of A Riot, post: 0]Well all the games apart from Black and I think DD Saga 2 are well over a couple of years old so they won't be too pricey.

As for whether Killzone's story is any good, I'd say it's what saves the game. The war between the ISA and the invading Helghast is actually quite epic. Perhaps I was a little to harsh when it comes to gameplay, it's not all that bad, but as Killzone was hyped up so much prior to launch, I expected a lot from a game that didn't deliver.[/quote]

I'm going to look into the Digital Devil Saga. But its probably hard to get, because I have never seen it around.

Currently, I think we're a bit RPG swamped anyway VOAR. lol. ;)

Rogue Galaxy looks like my next RPG project after finishing FFXII.

WonsAuto

Mar 12, 2007
www.myspace.com
[QUOTE="Tobian, post: 0]Have you looked under your bed lately. There's a gateway to another dimension with a kid playing your ICO game.

*Twilight zone music turns up a bit louder* :lol: [/quote]

Duuude, you just blew my mind! [takes another hit of wacky tobbacky]

Seriously tho, that was the first place I checked. :lol:

[QUOTE="Tobian, post: 0] I'm curious about Ratchet and Clank though.

It looks and sounds really fun, but should I start with the first in the series? Or does it really not matter?[/quote]

I'm on the same boat... I kinda wanna buy R&C for PSP, but I wonder if I should play the PS2 games first? The hype for the PS3 game doesn't help my cause, either!

Oct 30, 2005
[QUOTE="Tobian, post: 0]I'm going to look into the Digital Devil Saga. But its probably hard to get, because I have never seen it around.

Currently, I think we're a bit RPG swamped anyway VOAR. lol. ;)

Rogue Galaxy looks like my next RPG project after finishing FFXII.[/quote]

That's the beauty of the internet, you're bound to find it online.

I know what you mean though, I still have far too many RPGs to complete and little time to actually play them! After a long day I often feel like playing games that require very little thought like an FPS.

Talking about Rogue Galaxy it's next on my wanted list as well along with Okami, I can't wait!

Harrow

Master Poster
Nov 26, 2006
I loved DMC, but the second one was too easy and the story was lacking. I tried to play DMC 3 but the difficulty was insane, and the camera sucked. At that point in gaming I just couldn't accept fixed camera angles where the enemies are hard to see. Not after playing GoW. I just gave up on it, but everyone else seems to love it.

A word on Okami. Amazing game that should be experienced becuase it is like a work of art. However it is really easy. It becomes almost like what is the point of this. I got tired of the Zelda like story telling, reading everything and no voice work, no cut scenes. If you've played Rogue Galaxy you'd be spoiled by better graphics and fantastic voice work and cut scenes. In the end I think I just got tired of being a dog.

but I suggest to you look into Dark Chronicle (by Level 5),
Is that Dark Cloud? I haven't been able to find any Level 5 games, and after playing Rouge Glaxay I really want to.

Zer0Force

Dedicated Member
Sep 2, 2006
That list is fine(It may not be the best but, DMC2 is a good game)

I'd also get Red Faction 1&2 plus Rez....because Rez is the best game ever.

[QUOTE="Seeksjustice, post: 0]Is that Dark Cloud? I haven't been able to find any Level 5 games, and after playing Rouge Glaxay I really want to.[/quote]

Yes it is, if you want another Level 5 game go ahead and pick up Dragon Quest 8.

Edit: My bad, its Dark Cloud 2 not one.