Call of Duty 4 brethren, take heed...

Sep 5, 2006
Rejoice. The horrendous latency problems that have plagued so many of us no longer affect one of us...me.:mrgreen: We've all heard the stories. Here's mine.

I started the online MP a couple of days ago. I quickly came to the realization that it sucks to be a Private. I was getting my butt handed to me, and on a dirty, rusted platter at that. I died well over 20 times per match and probably amassed no more than 5 kills per match with my "trusty" M-16. I hate AKs and SMGs, so I refused to switch to one of those.

Flash forward a few hours. In my head I've gotten a hang of the game, but my performance doesn't reflect any change. 5-6 kills a match and over 20 deaths. Maybe I'm just that bad. I started to watch the kill-cam more often. It hit me after that. I was aiming for people in the chest with my iron or optic sights, unloading bullets in them, and yet they would somehow best me, even if I approached from behind or the side. Now, I'm not your trigger happy spray-killer with wreckless abandon. I shoot controlled, well-aimed, short bursts. Somehow though, even with my impeccable technique, I was getting OWNED.

The kill-cam would show me some backwards results too. It would show me shooting the either side of my opponent, completely missing them, or not firing until it was too late. This was most definitely not happening. They were shooting me with 2 or 3 bullets, sometimes in the LEGS and murdering me. Almost every time. Shooting from a distance? Forget that. Every shot I took from beyond 15 yards would NEVER hit it's intended target. Yet, I would see other folks with that same trusty assault rifle gunning me down from afar. What gives?

Switch to the shoddy. I had instances where I would literally shoot people at point blank range and several times at that, and they would live through it only to waste me with, you guessed it a simple pair of bullets. Tried the Last Stand perk.Several spent magazines later...I decided to turn to the internet, because at this point I was fairly certain that it wasn't me.

My stats were horrendous. My accuracy was at TEN PERCENT, KD ratio something like .4 and I had won a total of 2 matches...and I'm a Master Sergeant...figure that one out.

Naturally, I came to this forum first and did a search. I found Se7enwolfs thread: http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=109242&highlight=cod4

Upon reading the OP, I was speechless. Same story as me, and apparently it's widespread. After scouring the thread, all I discovered was(besides a bunch of douchebags thinking they know what they're talking about) that a fix was supposed to be implemented. Didn't make sense to me, but then I found this thread: http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=108863&highlight=cod4

This idea about the DMZ got me curious(see last post), so I decided to give it a shot. Made a static IP for my PS3, manually configured my router, and enabled DMZ for the PSN's IP adress. Voila! Worked like a charm!

Now, when I shoot at people, they die. I was actually able to kill two people at once. I do this sort of thing all the time in Resistance, but here? HA! Such a minimal achievement, but it felt good to play competitively for once. Better yet? I came in 3rd place! Nah, didn't win the game, but who gives a crap, I can actually kill what I'm aiming at here! No more squirt gun BS for this one. By now I've long since switched to the M-60, but I think it's high time that I give my ACOG equipped M-16 another go.

Anyway, to Se7enwolf and anyone else who was thinking of giving up on this game, please reconsider. Enable DMZ on your IP address and things should start functioning correctly. If it doesn't, then I don't know what to tell you, but I've had a horrible time otherwise, but now everything is perfect.

All credit goes to HWMBrogden, luis14ftw, and of course Se7enwolf for bringing this problem to the forefront. As a matter of fact, I'm gonna rep them all right now. Anyway, look for me on CoD4, I only play FFA. I'm not the best, but I can put up something of a fight now! :D

Shau - Kenshin

Dedicated Member
Nov 23, 2005
Well sprayed my friend. just wait until you unlock the P-90. I tell you true man, that gun OWNS ALL.

The flood of death that hits the scene when I step out mean. Grrr...

Seriously, I liked the NO MORE SQUIRT GUN thing. That was my sentiment when I first started to play this game about a month ago.

S

SnowHawk

forget the p90 i own with the carbine seriously my average kill in a round is 27 to 8 deaths

Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="Shau - Kenshin, post: 0]Well sprayed my friend. just wait until you unlock the P-90. I tell you true man, that gun OWNS ALL.

The flood of death that hits the scene when I step out mean. Grrr...

Seriously, I liked the NO MORE SQUIRT GUN thing. That was my sentiment when I first started to play this game about a month ago.[/QUOTE]
Thanks buddy! While I'm enjoying the M-60 at the moment, I'm itching to get the G36C. I've tried to find that gun FOREVER, only to realize I kinda can't..get one. CoD4 will make my dream a virtual reality though...when I'm a Captain. :bang:

That M-60 is no slouch to it's own credit though. Like I said, I wasted a pair of people at once on one map, and I held my own well enough to nab third place. While I came in third before and have won a pair of matches, I had to do so with a shotgun, and I can't remember eve rplacing otherwise with a rifle or machine gun of any sort.

This is all about to change soon enough though.

boogernose

Dedicated Member
Apr 19, 2007
Hmm... I'll have to try that DMZ thingy. I've been having those same lag issues from day 1. It's the reason I haven't touched online at all in the last week or so. Thanks for the advice.

Nov 4, 2007
Congrats on finally being able to kill lol.
I haven't experienced those problems, but it sometimes lags when I try to knife so you know what the end result if there...

I couldn't stand to use the P90 but I've only got to try it once because I picked it up off the ground. I actually like using the G3 but only with Double Tap and the Red Laser Sight.

Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="boogernose, post: 0]Hmm... I'll have to try that DMZ thingy. I've been having those same lag issues from day 1. It's the reason I haven't touched online at all in the last week or so. Thanks for the advice.[/QUOTE]
No problem. Best of luck to you. I don't know why it worked, but it sure did work.

Hope to see you online.

S

sofaking13

Hmmm...interesting, I hear of people opening ports and voila everything works....I myself have never had to open ports of any kind or do anything like that which I guess is good, but if only people could have an easier experience....

Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="sofaking13, post: 0]Hmmm...interesting, I hear of people opening ports and voila everything works....I myself have never had to open ports of any kind or do anything like that which I guess is good, but if only people could have an easier experience....[/quote]
True, I think it should never have to come to that in the first place, but I am enamored that there is a DIY solution. The waiting game sucks when it comes to glitches and problems.

Happs

Superior Member
Oct 16, 2007
[QUOTE="Lord Arklon, post: 0]True, I think it should never have to come to that in the first place, but I am enamored that there is a DIY solution. The waiting game sucks when it comes to glitches and problems.[/quote]
From what I've read, the patch supposedly coming out soon from IW will address the need for users who currently experience lag issues to have to make any changes to their routers. Though I'm sick of waiting for the patch, so I might give this a try now too to tide me over!!

Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="Happs, post: 0]From what I've read, the patch supposedly coming out soon from IW will address the need for users who currently experience lag issues to have to make any changes to their routers. Though I'm sick of waiting for the patch, so I might give this a try now too to tide me over!![/QUOTE]
Do it, it's worth it. Even when I was getting it handed to me on a dirty, moldy platter, I still appreciated the impeccable balance the game has between realistic, tactical, and twitch shooters.

Now that people actually get hurt when I shoot them, the fun factor has come into play in the best kind of way. Trust me on this one, it takes but 20 minutes, and you'll enjoy yourself for hours on end. Even when the pacth comes out, WHENEVER that happens, it's probably a good idea to keep your ports open for the PSN regardless.

Happs

Superior Member
Oct 16, 2007
[QUOTE="Lord Arklon, post: 2210744]it's probably a good idea to keep your ports open for the PSN regardless.[/quote]
Yeah I think you're right. So did you open all your ports or simply enable the DMZ and add the PS3's IP address to it? I'm almost at rank 50 after about 24hrs play, but I keep wondering where I'd be at by now if I'd not experiened lag in 99.999999% of my games from Aus!

Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="Happs, post: 0]Yeah I think you're right. So did you open all your ports or simply enable the DMZ and add the PS3's IP address to it? I'm almost at rank 50 after about 24hrs play, but I keep wondering where I'd be at by now if I'd not experiened lag in 99.999999% of my games from Aus![/QUOTE]
And I'm in Japan, so I'm in the same boat as you, my friend. I tried opening all my ports manually, but I kept losing my connection for some reaosn. I know I screwed something up because I was in a hurry anyway. After that, I just said screw it and enabled DMZ for my PS3s IP address. You must set up a static IP for the PS3 beforehand though, and make sure that you manually change the Network Settings from your XMB when you do that.

You should put your static IP where it says PS3, Subnet Mask should already be filled in, then put your routers IP where it asks for Default Gateway. The DNS 1 and 2 are kinda tricky. I was told at first to put the same address as what was in Default Gateway, but that didn't work for some reason.

I then went to the control panel and just opened up my network connections and looked at what was there for DNS and Alternate DNS. I used those and it worked like a charm for two consecutive games. Didn't have time to play any more but there was such an obvious and substantial difference that I'm confident it will continue to work.

Again, best of luck to you.

E

edmbpm

its all in your head. u dont need to **** around with any ports its fine as it is. some matches have bad lag, some lag or none whatsoever. depends on the host etc.

u changed a port, and u kill someone so that automatically means there was a problem. it takes a while to get accurate and start killing.

its the same as people so who blame firmware on other problems they are having.

Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="edmbpm, post: 0]its all in your head. u dont need to **** around with any ports its fine as it is. some matches have bad lag, some lag or none whatsoever. depends on the host etc.

u changed a port, and u kill someone so that automatically means there was a problem. it takes a while to get accurate and start killing.

its the same as people so who blame firmware on other problems they are having.[/quote]
Ok God, I know you know everything...I'm so sorry to have been a fool and had a different experience than you. I suppose I should have known better, because no situations are true unless they happen to you, right? Here's some advice: p*ss off.

Have you not read the widespread testimonies from several users of the game? You calling us all liars? I said I fixed it jack*ss, so listen up. You tell me then why I would shoot people with 6 or 7 shotgun blasts point blank and they survive just to kill me. It's because of pompous know-it-alls like you that not everybody takes these problems seriously, but they're definitely there. Read my original post again, fool, and tell me it was all in my head.

You think I can fire consecutive bursts at someone, they not die, and there isn't a problem? Are you saying I'm blind? Believe me, kiddo, I'm well aware of when my crosshairs are over a target. I have eyes, it ain't that hard to see. When my well aimed shots are not hitting the target, and they turn around to kill me with a fraction of the effort, then there's something wrong, genius.

BEYOND THAT, Infinity Ward is releasing a patch to address these very issues. Oh, but I guess that's all in my head too right? Prepare to eat crow when that patch comes, you dolt.

I opened ports so the game would decidedly have a better connection, and things started working out ok. It's not that difficult a concept to grasp. It amazes how stupid people go about formulating their false logic in their heads. God must have put people like you here for comedic relief. It's the only explanation.

Anyway, have fun wiping that egg off your face, there Sherlock.

HWMbrogden

That Band Is Awful
Aug 22, 2007
NJ - 732
www.last.fm
Congrats bud. The DMZ seems to work for everyone. and by the way, the G36C owns face especially with red dot sight. Pair that with a shotgun and it is fish in a barrel. add me on duty. my name is hwmbrogden.

F

frog_spawn

[QUOTE="Happs, post: 0]Yeah I think you're right. So did you open all your ports or simply enable the DMZ and add the PS3's IP address to it? I'm almost at rank 50 after about 24hrs play, but I keep wondering where I'd be at by now if I'd not experiened lag in 99.999999% of my games from Aus![/quote]
I havent had much lag in Cod4 its been pretty smooth to me

tgf5

Dedicated Member
Sep 10, 2007
I am trigger happy and think I am a decent player. I have only a 13% accuracy but that doesn't exemplify my gameplay. Sometimes I like to fire randomly through walls and sometimes I get kills, but I'm sure that kills my accuracy, not to mention sometimes when my buddy is planting a bomb I fire at him just to freak him out.

Also I'm not a fan of the P90, I seem to perform better with the M4.

Anyways, I didn't use DMZ for the PS3, rather just port forwarded and set the static ip address and everything seems to work fine for me. Not sure about sniper though, I'll have to wait until I test, but I hate prone and just waiting for people to come by.

Question Lord Arklon: How many bars for signal strength were you displaying on the select screen, before and after DMZing?

Reflex: What's your PSN :p

E

edmbpm

[QUOTE="Lord Arklon, post: 0]Ok God, I know you know everything...I'm so sorry to have been a fool and had a different experience than you. I suppose I should have known better, because no situations are true unless they happen to you, right? Here's some advice: p*ss off.

Have you not read the widespread testimonies from several users of the game? You calling us all liars? I said I fixed it jack*ss, so listen up. You tell me then why I would shoot people with 6 or 7 shotgun blasts point blank and they survive just to kill me. It's because of pompous know-it-alls like you that not everybody takes these problems seriously, but they're definitely there. Read my original post again, fool, and tell me it was all in my head.

You think I can fire consecutive bursts at someone, they not die, and there isn't a problem? Are you saying I'm blind? Believe me, kiddo, I'm well aware of when my crosshairs are over a target. I have eyes, it ain't that hard to see. When my well aimed shots are not hitting the target, and they turn around to kill me with a fraction of the effort, then there's something wrong, genius.

BEYOND THAT, Infinity Ward is releasing a patch to address these very issues. Oh, but I guess that's all in my head too right? Prepare to eat crow when that patch comes, you dolt.

I opened ports so the game would decidedly have a better connection, and things started working out ok. It's not that difficult a concept to grasp. It amazes how stupid people go about formulating their false logic in their heads. God must have put people like you here for comedic relief. It's the only explanation.

Anyway, have fun wiping that egg off your face, there Sherlock.[/quote]

LIAR!!

forum freak! have fun wiping the cum of your face.

bursts of fire may appear to hit the enemy from your angle. consider.. your cross eyes, bad judgement, enemy having extra health, your weak bullets, firing arc, some good old fashioned lag, etc, etc... consider also your an arrogant yankie *******.. its gotta be one of those!

Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="tgf5, post: 0]I am trigger happy and think I am a decent player. I have only a 13% accuracy but that doesn't exemplify my gameplay. Sometimes I like to fire randomly through walls and sometimes I get kills, but I'm sure that kills my accuracy, not to mention sometimes when my buddy is planting a bomb I fire at him just to freak him out.

Also I'm not a fan of the P90, I seem to perform better with the M4.

Anyways, I didn't use DMZ for the PS3, rather just port forwarded and set the static ip address and everything seems to work fine for me. Not sure about sniper though, I'll have to wait until I test, but I hate prone and just waiting for people to come by.

Question Lord Arklon: How many bars for signal strength were you displaying on the select screen, before and after DMZing?

Reflex: What's your PSN :p[/QUOTE]
Before DMZ I was always hitting 1 bar. afterwards, I get anywhere from 2-4. I'll be honest though, I didn't check then as frequently as I do now, so it may have fluctuated as well, but I'm fairly certain it hovered at one.

In any case, no more bullet lag.

Feb 20, 2007
If the patch comes in today then all problems solved, if not then I might have to give this a try cuz the connection issues are really pissing me off.

And by the way.. RPD with scope owns all!!!:twisted:

smaug

Dedicated Member
Aug 17, 2007
[QUOTE="Evolved423, post: 0]If the patch comes in today then all problems solved, if not then I might have to give this a try cuz the connection issues are really pissing me off.

And by the way.. RPD with scope owns all!!!:twisted:[/quote]

Glad everything worked out fine for you. And for those saying you don't have to open ports for anything... you must not use the internet very often.

Nov 22, 2007
[QUOTE="Dennis0430, post: 0]Congrats on finally being able to kill lol.
I haven't experienced those problems, but it sometimes lags when I try to knife so you know what the end result if there...

I couldn't stand to use the P90 but I've only got to try it once because I picked it up off the ground. I actually like using the G3 but only with Double Tap and the Red Laser Sight.[/quote]

that's interesting because i love the g3(besides the extremely low rate of fire) but the double tap with that gun does not do anything at all.

and as for the original thread topic, you probably just sucked because you have to really aim properly to hit your target in this game and that's why i luv it, not bs aim assist kills. if you didnt hit him you werent aiming properly and vice versa. not trying to be condesending but facts are facts.

Smog282

Super Elite
Aug 9, 2007
sometimes you just don't get the kill. eventually you will get better and calling in a UAV every life. just takes some practice, it's not lag

j1994

Dedicated Member
Oct 26, 2006
I am a decent player, about 20 kills a match and about the same deaths. I've stuck with the M4 for ages, even though Im a level 38. I have an ACOG sight and the Red Tiger camoflage-which is really cool but was hard to get (150 headshots!). Im using different guns now. The game worked terribly for me in the first week, but has since fixed himself and im working through the ranks quickly.

Sep 5, 2006
It shocks me how so many people are telling me and others what our experiences were. Like it's some kind of government cover up. :lol:

FOLKS It's this simple!

I'm no shooter God, alright? I know when I legitimately suck at a game. I think it's fair to say that a lot of others do as well. If I raise my iron or optic sight and have it STEADY OVER AN INDIVIDUALS UPPER TORSO, then I'm aiming correctly. If I fire SHORT, CONTROLLED BURSTS that don't throw my weapon all over the place, then I'm firing correctly. If I'm performing this act FROM MY OPPONENTS BLIND SPOT, then I've got the drop on them, and they should die. When they DONT DIE after repeated attempts, and they kill me with a FRACTION OF THE EFFORT, then something is wrong?
Raise your hand if you can't comprehend that someone can have a different experience than you. Everybody following along? Ok, we'll move on.

Now, If I discover that it's an issue with lag and I rectify that issue, I go and play again.

I exercise the EXACT SAME TECHNIQUES as before, yet this time THEY YIELD DIFFERENT RESULTS.

What is so difficult to comprehend about this?

I've got one more question.

1 - Do you believe in the possibility that someone could have a different experience than you?

If anyone answers yes to that questions, thne you're DONE doubting me and the thousands of others who have had lag issues with this game. Lag is NOT A NEW THING people. It has existed since online gaming became a reality. Not that hard to comprehend. I'm done trying to convince people though...some folks are just too hard headed.

R

REFLEX

My PSN is my name.

Also my favorite load out depends on what game type and what map I'm playing, they are all fine tuned per choice!