Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 is the Biggest Entertainment Launch of 2015

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
Sounds like it was a smart move by Sony too:

Activision Blizzard has announced Call of Duty: Black Ops III pulled in $550 million in its first three days on sale, making it the biggest entertainment launch of 2015.

The game beat out stiff competition from movies, music and books to haul in some serious dollar and bring in almost double the digital sales of last year's Advance Warfare, while retail sales improved "significantly" on both Advanced Warfare and Ghosts in 2013.

Additionally, the publisher also crowed that Call of Duty: Black Ops III has the highest player engagement of any entry in the franchise ever, with more hours per player racked up so far than with any other COD title.

From that information, it certainly sounds like the Call of Duty franchise is back on track... or is it? Black Ops II, which launched back in 2012, made over $500 million in its first day in the US alone. Additionally, both Advanced Warfare and Ghosts launched when the PS4 and Xbox One were much younger consoles with smaller install bases - higher sales for Black Ops III shouldn't be a huge shock.

Having said that, it seems that the Black Ops titles remain the jewels in the Call of Duty crown, though even these seem to be suffering from some level of franchise fatigue.

The final piece of information worth noting is that Black Ops III became the best-selling digital full game by units sold in its first day of availability in PS4 history. Looks like that allegiance switch paid off for Sony.

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
[QUOTE="Lebowski, post: 6487753]lol why do they call it entertainment launch? why not just game launch?[/QUOTE] Because the figure beats all entertainment mediums.

GazzaGSi

Elite Guru
May 9, 2007
Good. I'm having an absolute blast with this and glad it's sold well. With the positive feedback it's had since launch I think it'll start to sell even more copies from peoples opinions and word of mouth for the people who were on the fence about it and possibly those who thought they'd give it a miss this year.

Haven't even touched the campaign or zombies yet as online has suckered me right in, the pace, weapons and balance are spot on. It's been a while since I've felt the 1 last game mentality from a COD game but 1 last game at the minute is turning in to 3-4 hours. I've been bollox'd at work all week and it's down to playing this till gone 3am :lol:

Abdou23

Forum Elder
Sep 16, 2008
Egypt
It's amazing how this franchise keeps generating these ridiculous amounts of money after so many years, salute to Activision, this is definitely a business model that needs to be studied closely, my only complaint is why in the world aren't they providing dedicated servers despite generating so much money!!

GazzaGSi

Elite Guru
May 9, 2007
[QUOTE="Abdou23, post: 6488361]It's amazing how this franchise keeps generating these ridiculous amounts of money after so many years, salute to Activision, this is definitely a business model that needs to be studied closely, my only complaint is why in the world aren't they providing dedicated servers despite generating so much money!![/QUOTE]
It has dedicated servers but no filter options. If the dedicated servers are full that's when it becomes an individual hosting. Definitely needs to improve but it's certainly a step in the right direction.

On a separate note, for some reason instead of showing the total players online it's now broken down into a percentage for each game mode however the other night midweek the total players was displayed and at over 800k players just on PS4 online, pretty shocking to be fair and great numbers.

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
[QUOTE="Abdou23, post: 6488361]It's amazing how this franchise keeps generating these ridiculous amounts of money after so many years, salute to Activision, this is definitely a business model that needs to be studied closely, my only complaint is why in the world aren't they providing dedicated servers despite generating so much money!![/QUOTE] The sales are up from the previous 2 entries, but Black Ops II made that money in 24 hours.

[QUOTE="FinalxxSin, post: 6488362]I'm pretty confident Fallout 4's overall sales are going to be superior.[/QUOTE] Fallout 3 wasn't close to CoD numbers, but Skyrim was.

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
yeah naxi, that's true but what they used to rake in. let's just say that they went down from the best in the history of entertainment to...this year lol.

pwned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but anyway, yeah i hope they slow down...seems like they got another few years in them. it's good because then they'll start to give us more. they will probably ride the entire generation and maybe even the next one. but they'll have to start giving us more and more.

once they get to a point that i'm happy with, i'll buy the games again. but not anymore...not after the stupid jetpack shit. the train is slowing down...slowly yet surely. soon they'll be left with BLOPS sequels lol

Abdou23

Forum Elder
Sep 16, 2008
Egypt
[QUOTE="GazzaGSi, post: 6488364]It has dedicated servers but no filter options. If the dedicated servers are full that's when it becomes an individual hosting. Definitely needs to improve but it's certainly a step in the right direction.
[/QUOTE]
So this is the first entry in the series to have dedicated servers, right?

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
yup figured as much, they're going to give us more options that they should've given from the start...but they are forced to do so now. they will slowly trickle down more and more features in the future releases. fuckers probably have it all planned out how they're going to prolong the series.

wouldn't be surprised if they let you coop more often and have a coop mode in the future...i heard someone saying that they already allow coop in campaign...which is a big improvement.

GazzaGSi

Elite Guru
May 9, 2007
[QUOTE="Abdou23, post: 6488429]So this is the first entry in the series to have dedicated servers, right?[/QUOTE]
I'm not 100% sure, just posted what I'd read about black ops. Can definitely tell something has improved through, haven't had anys deaths that i'd put down to lag. It's now just either bad aim or in the back. Finishing every game with decent scores.

[QUOTE="Omar, post: 6488430]yup figured as much, they're going to give us more options that they should've given from the start...but they are forced to do so now. they will slowly trickle down more and more features in the future releases. $#@!ers probably have it all planned out how they're going to prolong the series.

wouldn't be surprised if they let you coop more often and have a coop mode in the future...i heard someone saying that they already allow coop in campaign...which is a big improvement.[/QUOTE]

You figured what exactly? They're not forced to do anything, forced to do what? What slowly trickled out features are you on about?

So you've been slagging the game off in previous posts yet now you say you've 'heard' they allow Co op campaign?? Great way to make an opinion on a game.

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[QUOTE="GazzaGSi, post: 6488448]I'm not 100% sure, just posted what I'd read about black ops. Can definitely tell something has improved through, haven't had anys deaths that i'd put down to lag. It's now just either bad aim or in the back. Finishing every game with decent scores.

You figured what exactly? They're not forced to do anything, forced to do what? What slowly trickled out features are you on about?

So you've been slagging the game off in previous posts yet now you say you've 'heard' they allow Co op campaign?? Great way to make an opinion on a game.[/QUOTE]
i'm talking about the dedicated servers. and my opinion is mostly about the series and where it's headed. i had Advanced Warfare but after that I'm not buying another COD game until they fix some stuff and/or give us more content/features. it's just too much of the same thing every year. about the trickling down of features, i was stating that as they are going to lose more people, they will start putting more content/features in the game to attract some people back. they know it's slowly dying but they will try to prolong it.

i think the only chance they have at this again is if they revamped the engine to the point where they can't support last-gen ports anymore. which will give the game enough next-gen features to attract people again.

i didn't particularly talk about BLOPs 3 although i played the beta and it was ok. wasn't horrible but not something i'd spend money on. i think at this point whoever is buying it is doing it because their friends are doing it.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2006
[QUOTE="Naxi, post: 6487757]Because the figure beats all entertainment mediums.[/QUOTE]

For last year:

Global videogame market $91 billion
Global movie market $90 billion
Global music market $15 billion

It just shows how mainstream journalism has a stick up where the sun don't shine. Maybe it is because the videogame industry doesn't have clear personalities and celebrities, but look how much media is spewed for Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, the rest (why has music become mostly autotuned singing and jumping girls?). Activision just bought Candy Crush for $6 billion. That was crazy but BOII made over $9 billion, so it was chump change for Activision. Kotick is sleaze but his marketing skills are rolling in multi-billions for Activision. There are estimates the videogame market may double in the next few years.

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
[QUOTE="Naxi, post: 6488633]That's more of an interesting/funny correlation, not really an indicator. No doubt it will sell a ton, but I don't think it will beat CoD overall.[/QUOTE]
I guess the numbers will put the nail in the coffin then. Imo, CoD has passed its prime popularity wise.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="Naxi, post: 6488633]That's more of an interesting/funny correlation, not really an indicator. No doubt it will sell a ton, but I don't think it will beat CoD overall.[/QUOTE]

But I think they actually did. Bethesda has just been kind of vague on it. But we do know it made $750 million in its first few days or day. Which is much more than the $550 million COD posted. But who knows. It's just been kind of vague. But we do know the game made $750 million very quickly.

http://www.ibtimes.com/fallout-4-sa...-copies-worth-750-million-sold-launch-2183997

Last edited:

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
i'd rather bethesda made that money than activision. activision is probably the most evil publisher out there.

once bethesda gets bigger and ultimately evil...i'll boycott them too. but for now, they're ok.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="Omar, post: 6488699]i'd rather bethesda made that money than activision. activision is probably the most evil publisher out there.

once bethesda gets bigger and ultimately evil...i'll boycott them too. but for now, they're ok.[/QUOTE]

They just don't put out enough games to get to that point. Dev cycles are way too long for over saturation. But they are always on many people's shit list because of the bugs in their games.

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6488719]They just don't put out enough games to get to that point. Dev cycles are way too long for over saturation. But they are always on many people's shit list because of the bugs in their games.[/QUOTE]
i still respect that more than activision who drop decent projects just cause it won't make them billions. i have no doubt in my mind that if bungie had gone independent, we'd have seen a better game. just because i know they're not assholes, they make good games, they pour their heart into it. Halo 1 is the best game they have ever created because it was before MS' pressure...destiny was due to activision's coersion.

i'm pissed off at them for selling out. as if there were enough skilled devs to begin with...we only have a handful of legendary developers.