Can ANYONE explain to me why sports leagues can't settle their money issues?!?!

Versus

Dedicated Member
Mar 6, 2007
Texas
Just heard on the news that the NBA probably has about 2 days to settle their disagreement about how to distribute their money or the season is pretty much DONE. Now I'm not a major NBA fan but as a regular person, this baffles me like none other!!

How in the god forsaken HELL can a bunch of millionaires argueing with billionaire owners not come to SOME SORT of agreement so fans can enjoy the sport on TV? It's like they don't truly give a damn about the game they play (unless they win the championship) they only play it for the money at the end of the day, which is what I believe. Average people would be happy to make half the amount the NFL and NBA players make a year. TBH, it makes me want to VOMIT.

I mean, America had to go through this clown show TWICE this year with the NBA now, and earlier with the NFL who BARELY settled their shit about a month b4 the season started.

Can anyone, ANYONE, ANYONE, ANYONE! Explain to me how something like this happens??? Why can't they just appreciate the game they play and be happy they don't have to do regular jobs like most people do? People sure are pathetic in everyway these days...

$Greatness$

Master Poster
Sep 4, 2009
Baltimore, MD
Because it's like big business not trying to give out health benefits to their employees. They have more than enough to cover and make a profit, but no, they want it all. So the players don't want the short end of the stick. I understood it more with the NFL since money isn't guaranteed. But with the NBA? lol, you've got to be kidding me. I do know this... if they don't have a some sort of a season, the NBA is dead to me. Don't care how they attempt to come back. It's over and done with as I wipe my hands of their league.

Bigdoggy

Master Guru
Jan 24, 2008
This same thing happened back when I was younger when all the teams baseball (MLB) went on strike, after that, baseball kind of died. Before that strike happened, Baseball cards were extremely huge and once the strike happened they are crap. they still sell baseball cards but it's nowhere near what it use to be before the strike. Infact it actually killed off all sport trading cards because of that. If the NBA does this and there is no season, expect worse things to happen. You go to a basketball game, the seats are filled, you go to a baseball game and the seats are not even close to being filled. If their is no season, expect it to end up just like baseball. you will watch it on TV and notice 4 people in one set of chairs and 200 ft away 5 more chairs with people, etc etc lol

Personally, they get paid way to much or at least some of the "valuable players" get paid to much. Some people in baseball I believe get $60 million, I mean WTF.

You know, there are so many bogus rules nowadays when you get into mainstream sports. the NFL is a complete joke in and of itself, it's a crapshot. college football is where it's all at, you want to watch real American football, watch college football. Same goes with all the other sports as well as baseball but in my eye's baseball is dead regardless, to me it's just not a fun sport to watch.

college football, basketball, hockey is where it's all at, they play it as a sport not a $50 million dollar corporate business that cater to mainstream whiners that once they get a hang nail they have to walk off the field.

Last edited:
M

Master/Slave

[QUOTE="Bigdoggy, post: 5711831]This same thing happened back when I was younger when all the teams baseball (MLB) went on strike, after that, baseball kind of died. Before that strike happened, Baseball cards were extremely huge and once the strike happened they are crap. they still sell baseball cards but it's nowhere near what it use to be before the strike. Infact it actually killed off all sport trading cards because of that. If the NBA does this and there is no season, expect worse things to happen. You go to a basketball game, the seats are filled, you go to a baseball game and the seats are not even close to being filled. If their is no season, expect it to end up just like baseball. you will watch it on TV and notice 4 people in one set of chairs and 200 ft away 5 more chairs with people, etc etc lol

Personally, they get paid way to much or at least some of the "valuable players" get paid to much. Some people in baseball I believe get $60 million, I mean WTF.

You know, there are so many bogus rules nowadays when you get into mainstream sports. the NFL is a complete joke in and of itself, it's a crapshot. college football is where it's all at, you want to watch real American football, watch college football. Same goes with all the other sports as well as baseball but in my eye's baseball is dead regardless, to me it's just not a fun sport to watch.

college football, basketball, hockey is where it's all at, they play it as a sport not a $50 million dollar corporate business that cater to mainstream whiners that once they get a hang nail they have to walk off the field.[/QUOTE]

No one in baseball gets paid $60 million per year. The highest paid player is Alex Rodriguez who makes $32 million per year, though when he signed his contract I believe he was guaranteed $275 million throughout its lifespan which ends when he's 42.

Athletes get paid a lot of money, but where else is all the revenue going to go? More to the owners? Still though, the players and the owners get paid enough, I don't know how they can't settle.

May 5, 2011
USA
Players want more money and the owners want more money. It's as simple as that.

Don't forget that in 9-10 more years we're going to have another NFL lockout. Good times.

podsaurus

El Presidente
Jul 2, 2008
in a box
Sports players make a disgusting about of money. Who the hell needs $32 million as master mentioned above? No one! These people are grossly overpaid. It's all about the money. They just want more and more and more of it. What do they need all that money for? Mansions? Cars? Random stuff they don't need?

We wonder why the economy is so bad and we pay some players millions to suck at playing? Give me a break. They don't need that money and it can be put to good use. I hate how much these people are paid.

/rant

Gregorious

Superior Member
Aug 20, 2009
[QUOTE="Master/Slave, post: 5711845]No one in baseball gets paid $60 million per year. The highest paid player is Alex Rodriguez who makes $32 million per year, though when he signed his contract I believe he was guaranteed $275 million throughout its lifespan which ends when he's 42.

Athletes get paid a lot of money, but where else is all the revenue going to go? More to the owners? Still though, the players and the owners get paid enough, I don't know how they can't settle.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't A-Rods original contract bought out at one point. For a couple years it would seem that odd for him to have been paid close to 60m. His contract probably isn't for that much, but thats probably closer to his pocket for a couple years.

Bigdoggy

Master Guru
Jan 24, 2008
[QUOTE="Master/Slave, post: 5711845]No one in baseball gets paid $60 million per year. The highest paid player is Alex Rodriguez who makes $32 million per year, though when he signed his contract I believe he was guaranteed $275 million throughout its lifespan which ends when he's 42.

Athletes get paid a lot of money, but where else is all the revenue going to go? More to the owners? Still though, the players and the owners get paid enough, I don't know how they can't settle.[/QUOTE]

point being still, they get paid way to much and actually have the gull to go on strike, it's ridiculous. Also, i don't believe baseball has a money cap on the players, other sports do but I don't believe baseball does, that's just from what I've heard. Regardless, the rest of my post still applies.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
Because it is egomaniacs dealing with egomaniacs that both feel that they are worth more than the other in a nutshell. Plus this is almost always overseen by a dumbass. Like *Insert League Commissioner Here*

@BigDoggy- MLB doesn't have a cap. That is why it is usually dominated by the same old teams almost every year.

RobJackson85

PHAT boy gone slim
Mar 25, 2007
England

I bet after sponsor ship deals he will make close to, and probably above the $60 million mark.

The top tiers of most major sports are stupidly overpriced. Take football over here, for clubs such as Arsenal and Chelsea, they charge over £1500 for a season ticket, whereas clubs like Blackburn and Wigan are closer to the £300 range.

Quite simply the majority of professional athletes from the mainstream sports are, without a doubt over paid. Take Yaya Toure for Man City, he must earn around £200 thousand pound a week, and because the club qualified for the Champions League, he received a nice 'little' bonus of (around) £800 thousand.

Quite easily a day out at a top Premership team could cost £100 plus, thats with the ticket, travel, food and drinks. All this is happening in a world wide recession where some people are chugging along with life earning on average £20,000 - £30,000.

I feel sorry for the ex-professionals who retired just before the TV revenue started. Most of them are better players yet at some point in their lives have had to file for bankruptcy as when they played they where paid the same, probably less than the average wage at the time.

May 5, 2011
USA
[QUOTE="RobJackson85, post: 5712205]

I feel sorry for the ex-professionals who retired just before the TV revenue started. Most of them are better players yet at some point in their lives have had to file for bankruptcy as when they played they where paid the same, probably less than the average wage at the time.[/QUOTE]

This, rep awarded.

On top of that, ex athletes have concussions and health problems to deal with. The NFL just now started paying them for risking their health to entertain.

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling
Because they are greedy cunts. When you have fucks like Kobe and Lebron making 30-40 million a year; then everyone wants to be like them and earn like them. I just read that they didn't come to an agreement today and now want to sue the managers/owners. That's a great idea, NBA players, paint an even worse image on yourselves than you already have. Fuck basketball, this sport has become such an opera show with a high budget and lots of commercials.

podsaurus

El Presidente
Jul 2, 2008
in a box
[QUOTE="ps3freak18, post: 5712187]Because it is egomaniacs dealing with egomaniacs that both feel that they are worth more than the other in a nutshell. Plus this is almost always overseen by a dumbass. Like *Insert League Commissioner Here*

@BigDoggy- MLB doesn't have a cap. That is why it is usually dominated by the same old teams almost every year.[/QUOTE]

That's just...I have no words. No cap for MLB? Geez what does anyone on this earth need all that money for? If I was given $1 million I would probably be set for life. I would probably spend more just because I have the money to do so but I'd be set with what I need and a bunch that I want.

Actually stuff is expensive nowadays maybe that wouldn't last. But still! Nobody needs 60mil.

[QUOTE="The Black Wolf, post: 5712216]This, rep awarded.

On top of that, ex athletes have concussions and health problems to deal with. The NFL just now started paying them for risking their health to entertain.[/QUOTE]

They may be all stars when they play but they are really screwed up for the rest of their life. Even without breaking anything just running around that much puts a lot of stress on your knees and legs and...everything else.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
List of Major League Baseball teams by payroll[/URL][/I]</dd></dl> Instead of a salary cap, Major League Baseball implements a luxury tax, an arrangement in which teams whose total payroll exceeds a certain figure (determined annually) are taxed on the excess amount. The tax is paid to the league, which then puts the money into its industry-growth fund.[SUP][11][/SUP][SUP][12][/SUP]
A team that goes over the luxury tax cap for the first time in a five-year period pays a penalty of 22.5% of the amount they were over the cap, second-time violators pay a 30% penalty, and teams that exceed the limit three or more times pay a 40% penalty. The cap limit for 2010 is $170 million, and the cap for 2011 is $178 million.[SUP][13][/SUP]
As of the 2009 season[SUP][update][/SUP], only the Boston Red Sox, the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, the Detroit Tigers, and the New York Yankees have paid any luxury tax; the Yankees have contributed to over 95% ($164.1 million) of tax payments, and have been subject to six of the eleven occasions the tax has been implemented.
Money collected under the MLB luxury tax are apportioned as follows: The first $5m is held in reserve, to pay for possible luxury tax refunds. Once it is clear that there are no refunds to be issued, this money is then earmarked for the Industry Growth Fund (IGF). 50% of the remaining money is used to fund player benefits, 25% is used to fund baseball programs in developing countries with no high-school baseball, and 25% is put into the Industry Growth Fund (IGF

Funeralfog

Master Guru
Nov 19, 2008
Camas, Washington USA
the MLB is about to have their 30 year plan done by thursday. it includes a complete division realignment and a second wild card team. THAT is how you manage a sport. not as many cocky fucks in baseball either

Gregorious

Superior Member
Aug 20, 2009
[QUOTE="Funeralfog, post: 5712919]the MLB is about to have their 30 year plan done by thursday. it includes a complete division realignment and a second wild card team. THAT is how you manage a sport. not as many cocky fucks in baseball either[/QUOTE]

With baseball though players can have much longer careers with less risk of debilitating injury. Baseball has had their strikes as well, no sport is immune to such things. I will say it is good to see them thinking long term, if only football and baskeball were willing to take that chance.