Computer Memory?

robvandam111

Master Poster
Mar 11, 2010
Miami, Fl
Usually, when I have my computer on for certain hours. I've come across an alert that usually says "Running out of memory"; my display then messed up and miraculously it recovers. That alert also comes from Norton Anti Virus sometimes saying "High Computer Usage". Today, I had my computer on and while I was work. I came back to only find out from my little sister that monitor wouldn't get off from saving mode. She turned it off and I did too when I came back. Computer is turning on great, monitor didn't pick up signal though. Fortunately, I was just able to remove the HDMI cable from the back it gave life again although I'm noticing is running slow due to the error.

I've seen some videos of people talking about it and it could be that I just many need to clean up inside or remove the CMOs battery but I doubt its the battery although I'll mind the dust. What does the memory have to do with anything and how do I prevent this from happening again. When I get the error its like it crashes but it recovers.

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
You're low on harddrive space or your don't have enough RAM to run everything (probably this one). Check your harddrive and tell us how much installed RAM you have.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Did you check Task Manager to see what processes are possibly goobling up your memory?

Right click task bar, click Task Manager. You can sort the processes by memory usage.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
That shitty Norton antivirus you are using is a resource hog itself. McAfee and Norton are garbage in my opinion.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
Is there still anybody using those two? It's been ages since I saw them in a PC. Maybe a random guy who knows very little about usuing a computer, but I don't see anyone on this forum using it.

Last edited:

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
6GB of RAM is more than enough for 99% of people during normal use. You're either wildly mismanaging what's running on your PC at once or you have a virus/program that's eating your RAM.

Hit Ctrl + Alt + Del and pull up the task manager. Click the processes tab. Click the memory tag inside the box to sort by what's using the most memory. Report back on what is using all the memory. If nothing viewable is using memory but you continue getting the warning/error messages then do a deep virus scan.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
It happens to me time by time , when I leave pc for a few hours, chrome left open , with a few video streaming like twitch, youtube... Except those times never happened.

Sep 9, 2015
[QUOTE="Shingo, post: 6479115]It happens to me time by time , when I leave pc for a few hours, chrome left open , with a few video streaming like twitch, youtube... Except those times never happened.[/QUOTE]

That is not normal.

robvandam111

Master Poster
Mar 11, 2010
Miami, Fl
[QUOTE="Nerevar, post: 6479111]6GB of RAM is more than enough for 99% of people during normal use. You're either wildly mismanaging what's running on your PC at once or you have a virus/program that's eating your RAM.

Hit Ctrl + Alt + Del and pull up the task manager. Click the processes tab. Click the memory tag inside the box to sort by what's using the most memory. Report back on what is using all the memory. If nothing viewable is using memory but you continue getting the warning/error messages then do a deep virus scan.[/QUOTE]

It says:

CPU: runs under 20%
Memory: 38%
Disk: 0%
Network: 0%

Sometimes even the Norton alerts about my "High Computer Usage". I do leave the computer on a lot. It only gets around 7-9 hours of rest a day.

Shingo: Let's find this out together.

Lethal: A bad sector? Where's Tron when you need him?

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
There could be any number of reason why it pops up. I got a low memory message once, but i was converting Gigabytes worth of windows logging from virtual memory to a file.....so kinda expected it.

If you know how to use the command line, you can run the check disk command to check for the bad sectors Lethal suggested using:

chkdsk /f /r C:

However, it is unlikely to be this as this would be more attributed to a hard drive ageing than low memory.

What is your pagefile set to? People sometimes disable their pagefile for...reasons.

An idle system should look similar to this:

View attachment 6561

I don't know the specification of you PC, but 20% cpu usage idling on the desktop is kinda strange.

You should download the free version of Malwarbytes, and let it do a full system scan of your PC overnight.

If it comes back with no results, you might want to look at the applications you have running in the background and what they are doing - Bloatware from the PC manufacturer for example.

robvandam111

Master Poster
Mar 11, 2010
Miami, Fl
Malwarbytes[/URL], and let it do a full system scan of your PC overnight.

If it comes back with no results, you might want to look at the applications you have running in the background and what they are doing - Bloatware from the PC manufacturer for example.

Mine says:

In Use: 2.3gb Available: 3.6gb

Commited: 2.3/12gb Cached: 3.5

Paged Pool: 393mb Non Paged Pool: 148mb

Speed: 800mhz
Slots Used: 3 of 4
Form Factor: DIMM
Hardware Reserved: 35.0

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
[QUOTE="SolidSnake, post: 6479145]That is not normal.[/QUOTE]
that is pretty normal, I have seen it with all of my pc'ies. I don't know the reason tho. Someone may explain it further, why browsers act like that.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="robvandam111, post: 6479202]Mine says:

In Use: 2.3gb Available: 3.6gb

Commited: 2.3/12gb Cached: 3.5

Paged Pool: 393mb Non Paged Pool: 148mb

Speed: 800mhz
Slots Used: 3 of 4
Form Factor: DIMM
Hardware Reserved: 35.0[/QUOTE]

Did you sort the processes by memory like Nerevar suggested? That is what I was curious about as well, but he explained it better.

robvandam111

Master Poster
Mar 11, 2010
Miami, Fl
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6479228]Did you sort the processes by memory like Nerevar suggested? That is what I was curious about as well, but he explained it better.[/QUOTE]

Sorting? It's kind of weird with Windows 10 now. I clicked on where it says memory and the only things that has a lot of memory says " Google Chrome (32 Bit)" with 111.9mb. And there's two more Google Chrome 32 Bit but with 90mb and everything else just a few megabytes and that's it.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
[QUOTE="robvandam111, post: 6479265]Sorting? It's kind of weird with Windows 10 now. I clicked on where it says memory and the only things that has a lot of memory says " Google Chrome (32 Bit)" with 111.9mb. And there's two more Google Chrome 32 Bit but with 90mb and everything else just a few megabytes and that's it.[/QUOTE]
Chris, and Nerevar were talking about this:
View attachment 6562

If you click on the Header for the "Memory" column, it will sort the running programs by amount of memory in use.

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
It's likely whatever is causing the issue won't be persistently active. You need to check that above when the error does pop up to identify what's eating your RAM. If this happens then I'd recommend taking a picture of the task manager and posting it here so we can diagnose it.

SolidSnake

Apprentice
Sep 9, 2015
[QUOTE="Shingo, post: 6479203]that is pretty normal, I have seen it with all of my pc'ies. I don't know the reason tho. Someone may explain it further, why browsers act like that.[/QUOTE]

Yes firefox or chrome use lots of RAM especially when on video streaming sites but for the memory to climb while left alone is not. That is called a memory leak. Check your plugins.

robvandam111

Master Poster
Mar 11, 2010
Miami, Fl
[QUOTE="Nerevar, post: 6479340]It's likely whatever is causing the issue won't be persistently active. You need to check that above when the error does pop up to identify what's eating your RAM. If this happens then I'd recommend taking a picture of the task manager and posting it here so we can diagnose it.[/QUOTE]

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
You're also supposed to take the screenshot when it gives you the error. Otherwise we're not seeing what's causing it.

robvandam111

Master Poster
Mar 11, 2010
Miami, Fl
[QUOTE="Nerevar, post: 6479378]You're also supposed to take the screenshot when it gives you the error. Otherwise we're not seeing what's causing it.[/QUOTE]

When it happens, I'll print screen it so you can look. I provided the image below exactly what Fijiandoce showed me to allow you guys to see the usage if that would mean anything.

[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6479376]You know ...you can take snapshots of your screen without a camera?[/QUOTE]

True. Just noticed we are able to upload images. There's another forum I go to that has this exact forum tools but you can't use the upload button; so I just thought that it was the same for here.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
While you're waiting for the issue to pop up again, check your page file size.

Right Click on the windows home key (bottom left) > Click 'System' > 'Advanced System Settings' (left hand side of window) > In the Advanced tab under performance select 'settings' > Open 'Advanced' tab > You should see this:

View attachment 6563

What is your pagefile size set to?

robvandam111

Master Poster
Mar 11, 2010
Miami, Fl
[QUOTE="Fijiandoce, post: 6479439]While you're waiting for the issue to pop up again, check your page file size.

Right Click on the windows home key (bottom left) > Click 'System' > 'Advanced System Settings' (left hand side of window) > In the Advanced tab under performance select 'settings' > Open 'Advanced' tab > You should see this:

View attachment 6563

What is your pagefile size set to?[/QUOTE]

It says a whooping of 6144mb....Geez O.O

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
[QUOTE="robvandam111, post: 6479503]It says a whooping of 6144mb....Geez O.O[/QUOTE]
That's fine, your pagefile should be equal to, or slightly larger than, the amount of RAM in your system. My pagefile is ~12GB, but i allow windows to grow the amount needed, as needed, from 1GB. However, at least you have a pagefile.

robvandam111

Master Poster
Mar 11, 2010
Miami, Fl
[QUOTE="Fijiandoce, post: 6479548]That's fine, your pagefile should be equal to, or slightly larger than, the amount of RAM in your system. My pagefile is ~12GB, but i allow windows to grow the amount needed, as needed, from 1GB. However, at least you have a pagefile.[/QUOTE]

About the crashes, could it be that Internet Browsers have anything to do with it don't you think? The last time it happened, I was Facebook and it just happened or while I keep at least 4-5 tabs open.

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
What addons do you have for your web browsers? Also update your browsers if you can, it's always possible you're on a build that has memory leak issues. Avoid beta builds.