Computer Memory?

MacP

Veteran
Jun 27, 2008
Delete all your cookies, registry etc using a nice little program called CCleaner.

Uninstall any programme that you do not recognise, or seems to be taking up a lot of your PC's resources.

Open Microsoft Config and disable any start-up's that boot's when your computer boots (apart from the system programmes)

Do a virus scan!

robvandam111

Master Poster
Mar 11, 2010
Miami, Fl
I think my computer died. I'm on my phone. I woke up few hours ago. Turned it on and notice the bright light power button was on but engine vroom wasn't heard. Nothing wasn't showing on my monitor. Removed the power cable and even ended up switching it. Notice there was an amber orange light but nothing. Doesn't want to turn on.

Last edited:

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
Probably your hard disc or ram died. If there is no light on. Find a spare from a friend and try those out.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
How old is the PC? It could be a blown capacitor. Of the video cable is not seated correctly. Alternatively, Windows files could be corrupted.... Do you see the BIOS splash screen pop up? (does anything pop up when you boot it up?)

robvandam111

Master Poster
Mar 11, 2010
Miami, Fl
[QUOTE="Fijiandoce, post: 6482631]How old is the PC? It could be a blown capacitor. Of the video cable is not seated correctly. Alternatively, Windows files could be corrupted.... Do you see the BIOS splash screen pop up? (does anything pop up when you boot it up?)[/QUOTE]

Nothing shows on the monitor. The PC, I got it since Jan 2010. You think it'd be the CMO battery?

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
[QUOTE="robvandam111, post: 6482632]Nothing shows on the monitor. The PC, I got it since Jan 2010. You think it'd be the CMO battery?[/QUOTE]
It could be CMOS battery, but you would get error codes, and the easiest error to spot would be a messed up time/date setting.

If you can, you can eyeball your motherboard and check to see if the capacitors are still in good condition:

Alternatively, it could be the screen?

Usually, if your BIOS boots up, it will give off a bunch of beeps or flashing lights in the event of a hardware malfunction. Since you don't see or hear anything, either the BIOS is not loading, or the screen may be dead? Would need some switching about to determine what it is that is actually not working.

robvandam111

Master Poster
Mar 11, 2010
Miami, Fl
[QUOTE="Fijiandoce, post: 6482633]It could be CMOS battery, but you would get error codes, and the easiest error to spot would be a messed up time/date setting.

If you can, you can eyeball your motherboard and check to see if the capacitors are still in good condition:

Alternatively, it could be the screen?

Usually, if your BIOS boots up, it will give off a bunch of beeps or flashing lights in the event of a hardware malfunction. Since you don't see or hear anything, either the BIOS is not loading, or the screen may be dead? Would need some switching about to determine what it is that is actually not working.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Fijandoce. I ended up getting a new computer just now. Meanwhile, going to try fix the old one because I need my files back some how.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="robvandam111, post: 6482638]Thanks Fijandoce. I ended up getting a new computer just now. Meanwhile, going to try fix the old one because I need my files back some how.[/QUOTE]

You can always just pull the hdd and recover those files (unless of course, the hdd was damaged) with the new computer.

You can start from the beginning though, and see where the problem is. If the capacitors aren't bulging, let's start from the bottom.

Unplug everything except the CPU and monitor. Start the computer. See if it throws any beep codes out. If it does. Write down how many beeps, and the sequence. example: one long beep, two short beeps, etc.
The start adding the hardware back. Ram first, repeat. Then the vid card. Then hdd. Then optical drives.

robvandam111

Master Poster
Mar 11, 2010
Miami, Fl
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 6482748]You can always just pull the hdd and recover those files (unless of course, the hdd was damaged) with the new computer.

You can start from the beginning though, and see where the problem is. If the capacitors aren't bulging, let's start from the bottom.

Unplug everything except the CPU and monitor. Start the computer. See if it throws any beep codes out. If it does. Write down how many beeps, and the sequence. example: one long beep, two short beeps, etc.
The start adding the hardware back. Ram first, repeat. Then the vid card. Then hdd. Then optical drives.[/QUOTE]

When I was switching the CMOs battery last night. The capacitors looked fine. Going to give it a repair. The thing is, when I turn it on. I see nothing. Its just an orange light and that's it.

I'm going to get a Sabrent USB SATA for the old hard drive. Now, I'm dealt downloading Windows 10 again

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="robvandam111, post: 6482790]When I was switching the CMOs battery last night. The capacitors looked fine. Going to give it a repair. The thing is, when I turn it on. I see nothing. Its just an orange light and that's it.

I'm going to get a Sabrent USB SATA for the old hard drive. Now, I'm dealt downloading Windows 10 again[/QUOTE]
Be careful with the Sabrent cables, they're pretty craptastic in quality. The device itself works okay for hard drives. You ever figure out what was wrong?

robvandam111

Master Poster
Mar 11, 2010
Miami, Fl
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6499431]Be careful with the Sabrent cables, they're pretty craptastic in quality. The device itself works okay for hard drives. You ever figure out what was wrong?[/QUOTE]

Definitely had to do with the power but I ended up getting myself a new one. I removed the hard drive from the old and used an External Hard Drive transfer box. And its funny because, I opened up it and practically looks clean. Some dust areas here and there but mostly clean.

MacP

Veteran
Jun 27, 2008
I hope I am not to late!

Try reseting the BIOS, update the Bios, in the bios there should also be an option to boot PCI (what your gpu is connected to)