Considering buying a Vita soon

NightOnyx

Superior Member
Sep 25, 2009
Florida
So I'm thinking of picking up a Vita in a few weeks and I just had a few questions that I thought maybe some on here could answer.

One of the biggest reasons I want a Vita is because of Remote Play and Cross Buy. So, I want to know how good the quality of Remote Play will be before I buy it. I've heard good things about it, and I'm sure it will probably work fine, but I'm still a little worried. One thing that made me worried is when I tried out Share Play a few weeks ago. I know they are probably two different things but my Share Play experience was not that great and I don't want Remote Play to be that bad. My internet is alright, but far from the best out there. I did a few speed test and got around 18-20 Download and about 2.3 Upload. So for the people that have used Remote Play before, do you think I'll have any issues with quality? I mainly just plan on playing it like when I'm in another room or while I'm in bed at night.

My other questions are about games. There are plenty of games I'm looking at getting, and with cross play I should have a few other games as well, like Rouge Legacy. Some of the Vita games I'm interested in getting are Persona 4 Golden, Freedom Wars, Tales of Heart R, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Gravity Rush, and Uncharted. My questions are out of those titles, which should I get first, and also if there is any other game that maybe I should look into that should be a must buy for Vita owners. Also, is Borderlands 2 as bad as I've heard? I mean I really like Borderlands, but I heard the port is not great.

chrisw26308

Forum Elder
Jan 13, 2007
Remote play will work as good as the Internet traffic and connections on both ends will let it. I can, and have, played destiny, driveclub, and a couple others with ease. It felt like it was on the Vita, not the PS4 miles away. There are times when you can't get it to work because your not getting the consistent bandwidth. It will get choppy at times for a few seconds also. If the connections are good though it is more than playable.

Remote play works so good in my home that I've used my Vita as a controller to play Ps4 games on my TV with accuracy and I have mine set not to direct connect, so it goes from my house, through psn (I guess), and back into my house.

I would say remote play, share play, and psnow use the same tech to get the job done but there are things you can do like make sure your ps4 has a clear path to psn, it makes a difference. I've done it both ways.

There are actually a lot of good games for the Vita, you should get on the Vita store and see, tear away and kill zone, wipe out, uncharted, need for speed (is free right now), and resistance are games I have put time into.

The Vita is the only console you can play any generation of Playstation titles on. You can play PS1, 2, 3, 4, and Vita games on it, and the twin sticks give it a console feel while lacking a couple shoulder buttons.

I've owned mine since launch and not regretted it at all. The PS4 remote play has really been a bonus. One of my friends bought one after he used mine for a couple days.

Edit

All those games you mentioned are great games from what I've heard and I've never played borderlands.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sir_Scud

Super Elite
Dec 30, 2007
Remote Play works wonders for me. As I work a very physical job that leads to back pain, my vita remains next to my bed. I've used to play just about every one of my ps4 titles, like Destiny, Last of Us, and GTA V primarily.

Through Time Warner I get ok speeds and generally as long as I stay on the same level (PS4 and bed are both upstairs) my connection doesn't get choppy or cut out. I really only use it for "small" stuff in those games like story missions, but aiming with the Vita is a bit wonky, so I wouldn't recommend it for multiplayer matches.

I would say buy Persona 4 Golden first. I had never played a Persona game before, and I just sank a ton of time into it. And then if you already have playstation plus, download Uncharted Golden Abyss. I really enjoyed Killzone on vita as well. That shooter felt right, didn't have issue with control or aim.

I actually own Borderlands 2 for vita. The port is horrible. I really wanted to like it and play it, but the constant dips in framerate are too much at times. It's really too bad because it was such an ambitious title to port. Unfortunately for Vita, I think there will be less and less viable titles coming out for the machine. The library will be stagnating and the purchase should be contingent upon you using Remote Play.

Nov 28, 2014
The remote play definitely relies on a good Internet connection. I don't know the speed of my Internet at home but it works fine at home with a few lags here and there. I can connect to my cell to remote play over cell network, but only if I have a strong cell signal when I'm out of the house. So remote play isn't that bad at all in my opinion. I just wish I got good cell signal at work.

As for games, definitely get Persona 4 and Freedom Wars. If you like visual novels or think you might, try Danganronpa : Trigger Happy Havoc or Zero Escape : Virtues last reward.

Borderlands 2 really isn't that bad. I haven't played it on any other system but the Vita but I don't have much trouble with it myself. But frame rate doesn't bother me as it does some people, it does have brief drops when you get mobs. I like the game though and it works well on the handheld in my opinion.

Sylar

Elite Sage
Aug 30, 2008
UK
I've only used remote play with Diablo 3 but it worked really well, I was expecting lag between what happened on the vita and seeing it happen on the tv but it was instantaneous!

I would definitely recommend getting Uncharted, that is a quality game on the Vita, also Dragons Crown is pretty good if you like RPG/Dungeon Crawlers and don't mind OTT art directions with tits bouncing here, there and everywhere :snicker

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Yet to try remote play. Persona 4 Golden is a must buy one of the best games I played. Ys Memories of Celceta and Tales of Hearts R are also good quality JRPGs on the Vita and I own them as well as Persona 4. Dragon Crown which I hear is good as well alongside Zero Escapes:Virtue's Last Reward. Good RPG ports such as FFX/FFX-2 and the Atelier Series. Uncharted and Gravity Rush i've yet to play and heard they are good as well.

Vita may not sell a lot of units and have that many games but those games are quality games.

NightOnyx

Superior Member
Sep 25, 2009
Florida
Thanks for all your help everyone. I feel better about the whole Remote Play thing. Doesn't seem like I'll have a problem using it how I intend to. Also, thanks for all the game suggestions as well. There's definitely a lot I'm interested in, and with that and remote play, I should get a lot of use out of a Vita. Not sure when I'll get it yet. I would like to get it next week, but with Christmas coming up soon I still have some gifts I need to get. So if I can manage it then I'll get it next week, but most likely I'll probably wait until right after Christmas.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
The beauty is you can still use your DS4 as the controller which is a bonus! Granted it means creating another account but once all is said and done it works wonders :icon_thumright:

I have less lag with remote play on my Vita than I do using my Xperia Z3!

GazzaGSi

Elite Guru
May 9, 2007
[QUOTE="Duffman, post: 6406460]
I have less lag with remote play on my Vita than I do using my Xperia Z3![/QUOTE]

Mine was the same. However, turn location service off on the Z3 and it cured my lag problem. It's flawless now, had around 30 races on Driveclub and it's been spot on.
Go to quick settings from the top drag down menu and tick Location to off.
The original lag every minute or so was driving me insane so was over the moon that this cured it.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="GazzaGSi, post: 6406507]Mine was the same. However, turn location service off on the Z3 and it cured my lag problem. It's flawless now, had around 30 races on Driveclub and it's been spot on.
Go to quick settings from the top drag down menu and tick Location to off.
The original lag every minute or so was driving me insane so was over the moon that this cured it.[/QUOTE]

Cool thanks, I shall have to try that when my phone gets back from the repair shop :(

NightOnyx

Superior Member
Sep 25, 2009
Florida
[QUOTE="Duffman, post: 6406460]The beauty is you can still use your DS4 as the controller which is a bonus! Granted it means creating another account but once all is said and done it works wonders :icon_thumright:

I have less lag with remote play on my Vita than I do using my Xperia Z3![/QUOTE]

You can use your DS4 as the controller when you're remote playing on your Vita? That's pretty awesome if that's what you're saying.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="NightOnyx, post: 6406698]You can use your DS4 as the controller when you're remote playing on your Vita? That's pretty awesome if that's what you're saying.[/QUOTE]

Yes but there is a slight catch, you have to create another account and completely wipe your Vita so it's not a perfect solution but if your like me and don't have many games on your Vita then it's not too much of an issue. Hopefully Sony will release a patch soon that will allow you to use your DS4 no matter what account it's registered to!

Or the other way is to just sign in as a guest, but you don't earn any trophies and Sony won't let you create the same account twice for obvious reasons!

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="MjW, post: 6406891]Sony should just add DS4 support to the PSVita. I'd take DS3 too.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised if this is something they will do when PS Now comes in as a fully functioning service!

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
[QUOTE="Duffman, post: 6406896]I wouldn't be surprised if this is something they will do when PS Now comes in as a fully functioning service![/QUOTE]

I certainly hope so.

AaronSOLDIER

Ultimate Veteran
Apr 5, 2007
forums.final7fantasy.com
Apparently Grim Fandango releases next month so I'll likely be getting a Vita next year, will hold out for a limited edition from Japan though since they do one with nearly every other game lol, just gotta wait for a decent looking one.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="AaronSOLDIER, post: 6407012]Apparently Grim Fandango releases next month so I'll likely be getting a Vita next year, will hold out for a limited edition from Japan though since they do one with nearly every other game lol, just gotta wait for a decent looking one.[/QUOTE]

I like the limited edition Vita with the Dragon symbol on the back, don't think it's been released yet though, have you seen it?

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
I suppose you are talking about this one. Can't find a photo with the backside of the vita.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="MjW, post: 6407367]I suppose you are talking about this one. Can't find a photo with the backside of the vita.

[/QUOTE]

That's the one, shame it's China only though!

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Haha I got mixed up for a second since I saw the God Eater Rage Burst PS Vita and PS4 earlier this week. Cool China getting that facepate.